New Jersey 4.7 or 4.8 Earthquake at 10:23am Apr 5, 2024

North West Jersey, centered near Whitehouse Station House (NW Jersey)
Really rumbled and shook for maybe a minute. The worst I’ve felt in NJ, but I was in 2 stronger ones in San Diego.

Apparently it was felt at least as far as Albany, NY

Yeah, I felt like I was back in California. Lasted a decent amount of time.

Worst I’ve ever felt (only second one I’ve ever felt). My colleagues in Brooklyn and Queens felt it, too.

Ummm, this chair doesn’t have vibrate in it. Ooohhh!

I got up and went to the doorway of my home office. But it doesn’t seemed like anything in the house moved.

My wife’s coworkers in Providence, RI felt it.

I felt it here in the Poconos, the Mrs. felt it in NJ and my coworkers felt it in Staten Island.

Definitely the worst I’ve ever experienced here in the NE.

I think we’ll be fine as long as nothing weird happens to the Sun over the next few days.

You know how animals are supposed to be sensitive to seismic activity? Ours slept through it.

You did.
:wink:

Whitehouse Station?

Very much shook my entire apartment building. Not fun. Last time we had one I barely felt it. Definitely felt this one.

Daughter came downstairs at 1029 to ask if I’d noticed any shaking a few minutes earlier. I hadn’t, but I assume this is what she felt. We’re in southeastern CT.

I never heard of it either, it is a village in Readington Township in Hunterdon County.

My info is from here:
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/?currentFeatureId=us7000ma74&extent=38.65978,-79.66187&extent=42.74298,-70.8728

What floor are you on?

I laughed so hard that I coughed.

USGS is stating Tewskbury, which is ≈ 6 mi N of Whitehouse Station.

I will be passing thru that way tomorrow on the way to eclipse; mebbe I’ll stop at the epicenter & get pics of…I dunno, a tree? What’s the chance there’s anything to see there? I’ve never been to an epicenter before.

My brother works pretty close to the area, and no damage happened there, so probably little chance of something to see. I’m guessing some stuff of hanging shelves moved and maybe a few knickknacks came down.

We rarely have earthquakes here in Ontario, but I remember one about 15 years ago. It was pretty minor, and I was sitting at my desk in front of the computer (which seems to be how I spend much of my life!). And I remember thinking, “there’s something wrong with this chair”, because it was vaguely wobbling. It turned out that it wasn’t the chair that was wobbling, it was the earth’s crust!

Not actually what I was pointing out, but that’s interesting. (you typed “Whitehouse House”)

PEBKAC strikes again. I fixed it, but acknowledged my goof.

The epicenter