New "Quote" , "Copy Quote" mouseover on cell phone is a mess

I post mostly on my cell phone. When I long-press on part of a post I want to quote, the new “Quote”, and “Copy Quote” mouseover causes the mouseover to highlight large amounts of text, well into the next posts, because the highlighting “grabs” the "Quote"and “Copy Quote” directions in highlighting the parts of the post I’m trying to grab. So instead of highlighting what I’m grabbing, it highlights all the way down the page. Half the time I just give up.

Also. The floating quote-copy quote menu bar tends to position itself directly over what you’re trying to quote.

That said, though it can be awkward to use sometimes, the quote feature here is still an improvement over vBulletin.

Hmm, I’m not sure what you mean. When I do a long press on part of a post, this is what I get:

This seems perfectly decent to me. Is that not what you’re seeing? (Android 13, using Chrome.)

I can highlight a very small amount of text, but if I try to highlight more than a line or so, the highlighting crosses in front of the floating Quote/Copy Quote menu bar and instantly the entire view is highlighted.

Hmm, apparently if I do it as slowly as possible to give the floating bar time to move down every line, it works better.

I sometimes have the problem on myphone that @needscoffee complains of. I use Android and Chrome.

I think part of the problem is trying to select an entire line. If I want to select a whole paragraph, I now start by grabbing a bit in the middle, then carefully pulling the first select upwards to just catch the start of the paragraph. Then do the same to pull the second select handle down to catch the rest.

I doubt the problem is Discourse as opposed to the basics of using a browser while poking at a small screen with a large finger. As soon as you touch slightly outside the part of the page containing the words we can see in the post, you’ve touched a larger invisible container that holds the whole post. Which is inside another even larger invisible container that contains the whole visible thread.

If we could see all these containers as visible boxes with lines around them, there would be 4 or 5 box edge-lines immediately adjacent to each other along the left edge of the screen. You want to touch only the innermost line/box, but none of the others. Not easy with a blunt finger.

That’s my workaround.

It only began happening with the new floating Quote /Copy Quote floater. It’s in the way.

Yes, same here. The problem happens when your highlighting finger accidentally touches the Copy Quote menu button, and the entire post becomes highlighted.

As I just discovered, moving the finger down very slowly, giving the menu bar time to drop down lower with each line, works, but it’s a nuisance.

I’m another one who post mostly from a phone. I know exactly what you’re describing in this paragraph because I do exactly the same thing. As a matter of fact I did that while quoting the above.

If you’re trying to quote a large section of text normally you want to long press at the top of the selection and then pull the little blue buttons down and slightly up to capture the entire text. If you do it wrong the quote buttons stay overlapping the desired text. If you do it right the button should move down with your finger. If you don’t then the button stays and overlaps the text you’re trying to select. Oh and if the letter ‘I’ is the first letter on the top line you can forget it you’re not getting it. I always have to retype it in because I can’t capture it.

Just to repeat what others have pointed out it seems something inherent and trying to use a small screen with a big finger.