NFL 2006 Weekly Predictions

Here’s this week’s predictions. I’ll save the additional commentary until tomorrow when I’ve had some sleep.

Sunday, Oct. 1
Indianapolis 9 NY JETS 46½
The Jets have played pretty well so far, Pennington is performing like he did before his injuries, well mostly, and he’s driving a very good passing game. The Jets running game has been bordering on awful and the defense gave up 300+ yards to JP Losman and 150 yards to McGahee. They are 2-1 nonetheless and they are at home. They look pretty good here when you realize that the Colts have played a couple close games with some key injuries and haven’t shown much of a running game yet, especially getting 9 points. Of course it helps if we pause for a moment to realize that the level of competition these two teams have faced isn’t really comparable. That 2-1 record is pretty soft and that loss to the Pats looks pretty damning after we saw how they played on Sunday night. That’s just a wordy build up to stating that the Colts are in a whole different class than the Jets. Records and past performances mean little. Though I will point out that the Jets defense has given an awful lot of yards to some unimpressive offenses. Indy’s offense is definitely not unimpressive. Eat the points and take Peyton to have a huge game this week, finally getting me a W in my money league I hope.

The Pick: Colts, Over

San Diego 2½ BALTIMORE 33½
This is going to be an exciting game to watch. I really hope it’s broadcast here, though odds are good I’ll be out at a bar watching the Satellite package either way. My man-crush on LDT is once again in full swing and I love the Chargers in the AFC this season. I wasn’t sold on the Ravens at first because I thought their running game and defense would be pedestrian. Well, the running game is still pretty shaky, but that defense looks revitalized. Pundits were either feast or famine on McNair this season, I took a wait and see approach and it’s looking like he’ll be a nice performer against average defenses. Average is not a word I’d use for San Diego though. This should be a contest of which offense is more severely neutered. Its says volumes about how good I think LDT is when I talk myself into picking a Schottenheimer team with a quasi-rookie QB on the road against a top defense. I might regret this one.

The Pick: Chargers, Under

BUFFALO 1 Minnesota 34½
This is how the wheels come off my picks. Taking too many road teams and big favorites. Looks like I’m going to make it three in a row. The AFC East looks really bad and until the Bills take out an above .500 team from outside the division I’m not going to pick them. They’ve got some decent talent and they’ll keep the game close, but the Vikings are a much more complete team. They lost to a very good Bears team that caught a few breaks and are sporting a defense that could end up in the top 5. The Vikings offense still hasn’t really clicked yet but neither has the Bills. Evans and McGahee are they only two Bills who I think are superior to their Vikings counterparts. The Vikings have experience on their side and they’ll be coming off that bitter loss with something to prove. Johnson is going to have to get in sync with his wideouts eventually though.

The Pick: Vikings, Under

Dallas 9½ TENNESSEE 37½
The Titans really do suck. Just awful from top to bottom. Fans have started a firecoachfisher website, which makes you wonder how sharp those fans are if they think this is somehow a coaching issue. It’s a talent issue. Still, it’s nearly a 10 point spread at home against a team that’s been struggling and has suffered a major distraction this week. The Cowboy defense has played fairly well and this could get out of hand if Collins continues his trend of multiple turnover affairs. The Cowboys have had a bye week to prepare and should be coming in healthy with the notable exception of TO. Instincts and history indicate that you should take the Titans to cover this spread, but I have a real tough time placing money on Collins and Vince Young. If the Titans had a dangerous pass rush and could scare Drew Bledsoe into a few INTs or sacks I’d be all over it, but that Titans defense is toothless. Seriously, someone give me a reason to think this won’t be a double digit Cowboy win. The upside is that Julius Jones should have a huge day for me.

The Pick: Cowboys, Under

KANSAS CITY 7 San Francisco 40
Christ, I’m either going to have a great week or an awful one. This will be my 5th straight road pick. I like the spunk the Chiefs have shown, but you’re just not going to convince me that Damon Huard is a reliable option at QB. The Niners have been playing really solid football and I’m a little shocked KC is a TD favorite. It’s not as if this KC defense is one that’s liable to win games on it’s own. Larry Johnson is going to need a huge day to dominate the Niners, and even if he’s goes for 200 yards I expect the Niners offense to do enough to keep it within one score. Frank Gore, Antonio Bryant and Alex Smith. The poor mans triplets!

The Pick: Niners, Over

CAROLINA 7½ New Orleans 42½
The Saints aren’t getting much respect, are they? Yes, they were carried by an awful lot of emotion last week, but it’s not as if they are a crap team. I’ve said it over and over again, this team wasn’t a 3-13 team last year from a talent standpoint. They lost Deuce and Horn. They had Aaron Brooks and Jim Haslett holding them back. The defense suffered some serious injuries. This year they have a solid QB who allows the play makers to do what they do. The defense played very smart in it’s adjustments to Vick and the Falcons running attack. I understand they are going on the road after a very emotional MNF game. The short week and risk of a letdown is very high, but I’m not sure why the Panthers are such a large favorite. Were this a 3 point spread, I’d be OK, but at 7.5? I’m throwing caution to the wind and drinking the Saints Kool-aid.

The Pick: Saints, Over

ATLANTA 7 Arizona 40
I’m going to tell you right now that this pick was decided before I even thought about the match up. I’m taking the home team out of sheer principle. No way I take 7 straight road teams, just can’t do it. I can make a case for the pick though. The Cards have been hot and cold defensively and lack the speed to shut down the Falcons quasi-option attack. They have a slight QB controversy with the Warner situation and they are going to a loud dome against a very good aggressive defense. Certainly they have some talent on offense, I expect them to score a couple big plays when the Falcons guess wrong, but Edge won’t get much of anything going and the Falcons should make them one dimensional. Vick’s mistakes won’t be exploited and I’m not sure the Cards are good enough on defense to use the Saints template this week.

The Pick: Falcons, Over

Miami 4 HOUSTON 38½
How bad are the Dolphins? Bad enough to lose to the hapless Texans? Lets mull the possibility for a moment. David Carr is connecting on 72% of his passes and only has one INT. The Texans have faced off against two very good teams and one team that just caught lightning in a bottle, so perhaps those blowouts aren’t a fair measuring stick. The truly awful rushing attack is a scary circumstance, but the Dolphins haven’t been much better. I struggle to imagine Ronnie Brown and Chris Chambers being rendered helpless by the trainwreck that is Culpepper but when they barely squeak by the Titans at home I’m forced to take notice. I won’t be wagering heavily on the Texans any time soon, but it’s been a bold series of pick today so this seems to fit the mood.

The Pick: Texans, Under

ST. LOUIS 5½ Detroit 43½
Roy Williams had a big game last week and the Lions managed some points, but that was against the epically bad Packer defense. St Louis hasn’t been lighting the world on fire, but this Lions pass defense is down right comical. If Favre and company were able to scorch it for nearly 350 yards you have to like the Rams WRs in this dome to do something similar. I know Martz is gone but Tory Holt is still great and Bulger should have plenty of openings to throw into. The Rams loss came in a game where they allowed a RB to dominate for 130+ yards and I highly doubt that the glacial Lions rush will be able to move the chains consistently. There will probably be a few big plays allowed by both teams and the Lions play the run well, but between homefield and the advantage to the Rams aerial attack you have to go with them here.

The Pick: Rams, Under

CINCINNATI 6 New England 45½
Just 6 points? Seriously……lemme call my bookie. Honestly, I’m not sure how much I need to justify this one. You’d have to really be devout Pats fan to pick them here. After watching them struggle to score all season and seeing them getting trounced on Sunday it’s impossible to envision them staying with the Bengals offense. I know they are the Pats and Belichick always found a way in the past, but that’s too much respect.

The Pick: Bengals, Under

Jacksonville 2½ WASHINGTON 34
Another questionable one. I realize the Redskins looked like world-beaters last week and Brunell had a unprecedented afternoon. Portis is back and looking strong with Betts equally dominant however this is the Jags defense…not the Texans. The Redskins defense has underperformed and I’m not expecting them to quiet that massive stable the Jags are sporting. Leftwich has to play better, but that defense is going to be a shock to the Redskins. I expect a bunch of turnovers by Brunell this week.

The Pick: Jags, Under

Cleveland 2½ OAKLAND 34
Why do I think all the afternoon game spreads are bogus? The Raider shouldn’t be less than a TD dog to anyone, even the Buckeyes. I like the Browns offense to go BIG against that hopeless Raider group. Edwards and Winslow might finally get a few highlights to talk smack about this week. Andrew Walter….the football gods are really taking their vengeance on Randy Moss aren’t they?

The Pick: Browns, Under

CHICAGO 3½ Seattle 34½
This game will be all kinds of fun. Big day here in Chicago. Wish I had me some tickets. That game last week was seriously exciting. I’m loving me some Rex Grossman right now. I wish I knew what the hell he does off the field to get his teammates loving him they way they do. Everyone had tons of faith in him even after that crap throw last week. Normally everyone would have been huddled around the Gatorade shooting dirty looks at the QB. This game is going to feature two elite defenses and I’d be lying if I weren’t concerned about the way the Bears running game will respond to the speed the Seahawks have. I worry that we’ll be made one dimensional and that Rex will have to force the ball. Of course, the Seahawks are going to have the same concerns without Alexander on the field. It should be decided by who’s defense is able to force the most mistakes. I’m remembering the way the Seahawks struggled to score in Detroit when they Lions were able to stop Alexander and I’m heartened. The Bears last home game was a blowout and there’s no question that this team will be riding high when they blow that whistle. I don’t see one match-up or one player who could make a difference here, so I’m just going to go with my gut….or my heart more likely.

The Pick: Bears, Under

Monday, Oct. 2
PHILADELPHIA 11 Green Bay 47½
Eleven seems like too many here. Favre has been playing pretty well as of late and typically he gets up for primetime games. Still, the Eagles are one of my sleeper team for the season and so far I’m perfect in picking their games. That Packer defense will easy pickings for McNabb who might not get a single grass stain on his uniform this week. Reid won’t be forced to abandon the run and when that happens the Eagles usually score 35. Big days from Stallworth and Brown are likely and the Eagles will be able to stay in the nickel all game and force turnovers.

The Pick: Eagles, Over

I’m a Scotch man myself. I’m not quite sure who the 6th team is going to be. I think it’s pretty clear that the Colts, Jags, Bengals, Chargers and an AFC East team will be getting in. That leaves one spot left open, to be fought for between Denver, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and maybe the Chiefs is Green comes back. While I think the Steelers are going to really really struggle this year against a tough schedule with some major holes in the roster, I hate the thought of wagering on the likes of Herm Edwards, Jake Plummer and Damon Huard plus theres the chance of Kyle Boller getting involved.

But still, I’ll be shocked if the Steelers sneak into the playoffs again.

That’d be me. I don’t know why, but I just can’t take the Bengals seriously. Maybe it’s the silliest uniforms in the NFL, or maybe it’s that the team is thinking of adding a bail bondsman to the staff. Anyway… I think the Patriots have something to prove here. People are dissing them, the fans are acting hysterical in typical New England fashion (the team goes 2-1, and people are suddenly crying, “Just wait till next year!”). The Patriots certainly haven’t been firing on all cylinders, but a lot of the parts are there – even in the wide receiver ranks, though you constantly hear otherwise. Don’t read too much into the Denver game. Denver, for whatever strange reason, has the Patriots’ number. It also seems like the Patriots never catch a break against Denver. Last Sunday there were three almost completely bogus pass-interference calls against NE that cost them about 60 yards. I hate that kind of thing, but that’s a rant for another day.

In sum… go Pats.

I admire your commitment, I do. I agree that the Pats aren’t cooked. They still have a good running game and Brady is Brady, but that WR group sucks terribly. The defense is above average, though not quite good enough to win games by itself. Most importantly the division is downright embarrassing. The Jets? The Bills? The Phins? The Pats are making the playoffs unless something really amazing happens. If they add Jerry Porter I’ll be the first one stumping for them to get hot in teh second half.
All that is secondary to the fact that the Bengals offense has looked awesome! Even the defense is downright frisky too. They’ve beaten some solid teams, twice on the road, and they lit the Browns up in their sole home game. There’s so much talent there and the Pats defense is a little too slow and a little to small in coverage to compete here.

You think? But they got your man Jackson! Admittedly, he hasn’t played much, but he was impressive on the one catch I saw him make (now, there’s a sample size for you). I still think Troy Brown is underrated. He had a 100-catch season a couple years ago, and is as experienced a receiver as you’ll find. Caldwell is middling, Gabriel possibly a little better than middling. It averages out to somewhere around or above the 50th percentile in my book, supposing they can get Jackson onto the field (he’s questionable for Sunday). So no, they don’t suck, except in a hyperbolic sense.

Edwards has had 3 70+ yard receptions in 3 games (1 called back for penalty), and Winslow is leading TEs in receptions and yards. So it’s not like they’ve been all talk till this point.

Er, correction, one was only 58 yards. I remembered it as being longer. He was the deepest player at that point though and no one is catching him.

1-10-CLE26 (14:52) C.Frye pass to B.Edwards for 74 yards, TOUCHDOWN NULLIFIED by Penalty. PENALTY on CLV-K.Shaffer, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at CLV 26 - No Play.

1-10-CLE24 (14:05) C.Frye pass deep left to B.Edwards to CIN 1 for 75 yards (K.Kaesviharn).

1-10-CLE42 (9:36) C.Frye pass to B.Edwards for 58 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

By the way, I’m going to start playing this week. I’m going to give myself an imaginary $500 to play with and just pick the best I like.

Apparently the best vegas odds you can get on a 2 team parlay are 14-5, so I’ll take that. 10% vig for straight up. But maybe I should score by online vig/odds, since that’s probably how I’d bet more sports if I did. Maybe I’ll try both, and see the difference. For other parlay odds, I’m going with 3=6-1, 4=12-1, 5=25-1, 6=51-1, 7=103-1, 8=224-1, 9=424-1, and 10=849-1. I will of course be making a lot of 10 team parlays.

If anyone else would like to join me in the imaginary $500 game (maybe start a thread specifically for that type of competition?), feel free.

So, here goes.

1. 2 parlay for Cleveland and over (34), risk $50 to win $140. The Browns are simply ahead of the raiders, and if the coaches don’t neuter us, it’ll be a clear win. We’ve got the receiving weapons against Oakland’s crappy secondary to score decently, although if Winslow doesn’t play (questionable) I don’t like the over so much.

2. Win for Cle -2.5, $110 to win $100. Confident in the win, not so much in the over. Only worry is that our #1 corner (Leigh Bodden, who you’ve never heard of but that I’ve been pimping for almost a year as one of the best CBs in the league, might be out. If so, our 16th and 17th string corners will be starting… against Randy moss.)

3. Win for Cin -6, $110 to win $100. I don’t like a picking over a 45, although there’s a decent chance here. Just going with the cinci win.

4. Win for NO+7, $55 to win $50. I’m shocked that Car is such a heavy favorite here, and I kinda feel like if they won, it’d be an upset. I like this game, but not confidently enough to bet 1/5th my imaginary bank, so $50 it is.

5. Win for JAC -2.5, $55 to win $50. Jacksonville is underrated, Washington is crap.

6. And for my lottery bet of the week, a 5 team parlay at 25-1 for $20. Cle -2.5, Cle-Oak under 34, San Fran +7, NOR +7, Jac -2.5

To tie up a couple loose ends:

My OMNI Picks for the week are the Chargers, Browns, Jags, Bengals, Vikings.

Last week was a bloodbath, thank god I had a positive cushion to keep me afloat. I went a embarrassing 4-9-1 ATS. I salvaged some credibility with a 8-6 mark versus the O/U. Strange since in previous seasons the O/U was my Achilles. Even those OMNI picks took it on the chin with a poor 1-4 mark, though the Bears and Panthers barely missed the number and 4 teams won outright.

This gives me a overall record of 24-20-1 ATS, 27-17-1 O/U, and 9-6 on my OMNI picks. After last week, I’m thrilled to be positive. Picking so many road teams will probably bring me back to even this week.

Excellent, the more the merrier. This is the perfect thread for it; no need to start another.

I’m confused about your imaginary bankroll, though. 500 for the season? You’ve risked 400 this week alone, so that can’t be it. 500 per week? That’s…aggressive.

Well, I’m just playing a game. I’m actually fairly studied in the areas of bankroll, risk of ruin, expectation, deviation, etc, but it seems kind of silly to make $50 bets off a $30,000 bankroll or something for an imaginary game. You’re right though in that it probably is too aggressive - if I end up having to ‘rebuy’ the imaginary dollars that’s kind of screwy.

As far as the other thread goes, I was thinking of making it almost like a standardized tournament where everyone got an imaginary $500, scores were tracked from week to week, etc. Wasn’t sure if we wanted to do that in this thread.

Ellis, where you at?

re: the Pats, I tend to think they have a chance this week mostly because this screams “Letdown Game!” for the Bengals… coming home after the big division road win, everything is just peachy right now, nothing to worry about in the world. I’d pick the Bengals if I were betting, though, and every local pundit who is remotely neutral has said the same.

This is a silly sort of week. Kind of pissed that I’m going to end up with Jets-Colts instead of Chargers-Ravens, the one time I wish I was still in B-more. Definitely looking forward to Bears-Seahawks - I still think Seattle is a little overrated, even after last week’s game.

As for the AFC playoff picture: My (EARLY, obviously) picks are Colts, Pats, Jags, Cinci, SD, Denver, in order of most likely to make it to least likely - though certainly not best to worst. The Jags are a tiny bit overrated right now (as long as Leftwich is playing like he has been), but with their schedule, it’s hard to see them with less than ten wins minimum. Cinci obviously has the early advantage in the North. SD and Denver each have easier schedules than the North teams, with SF, Arizona, at least one Oakland, KC game(s) that may be very winnable depending on Green’s status… all of this while the North teams are beating up on each other and the tougher NFC South. Of course, it all comes down to head to head, since the two divisions are matched with each other in intra-conference. That’s why they play the games, or something. If Baltimore folds when the divisional games start, as is eminently possible, that changes the whole dynamic of the thing.

Turn all those bets I made into half their value. Kinda silly to risk going bust so soon.

Week 4 Picks

1:00pm…**Colts…9…JETS…46½…**Colts give Gang Green a reality check. Over
1:00pm…**Chargers…2½…RAVENS…33½…**Ravens manhandle Rivers. Under
1:00pm…**BILLS…1…Vikings…34½…**Billies to rebound. Way over.
1:00pm…**Cowboys…9½…TITANS…37½…**Cowboys rally around TO, covering the over.
1:00pm…**CHIEFS…7…49ers…40…**Herm so inept, 49ers could win outright. Over
1:00pm…**PANTHERS…7½…Saints…42½…**Saints cover, if not win outright. Under
1:00pm…**FALCONS…7…Cards…40…**Falcons, against my better judgement. Under
1:00pm…**Dolphins…4…TEXANS…38½…**Texans get their first win. Under

4:05pm…**RAMS…5½…Lions…43½…**Lions cover the points because it stays under.
4:15pm…**BENGALS…6…Patriots…45½…**Patriots don’t lose two in a row, so this goes over.
4:15pm…**Jaguars…2½…REDSKINS…34…**Jaguars too good. Lightning the under.
4:15pm…**Browns…2½…RAIDERS…34…**Imagine having to watch this pig. Browns, over.

8:15pm…**BEARS…3½…Seahawks…34½…**Bears make a statement here. Way over.
8:30pm…**EAGLES…11…Packers…47½…**Which Favre, good or evil? Packers and the over.

Spread Picker Picks
6 Panthers
4 Cards
4 Patriots
3 Redskins
2 Bills
2 Lions
2 Packers
1 Chiefs
1 Jets
1 Raiders
1 Ravens
1 Titans

Wow, the spread picker has a ton of picks. And most of them are shitty-looking one star deals. Me no likey. Three best bets, though; maybe I should parlay them.

Early Games
Risk 30 to win 125 on the Panthers, Cards and Patriots. (Pats are late.)
Risk 55 to win 50 on a 3-team tease: Colts giving 1, Cowboys giving 1½, Eagles giving 2. (Eagles on MNF.)

Late Games
Risk 55 to win 50 on the Jaguars / Redskins Under.

Sunday Night
Risk 30 to win 60 on the Bears & the Over.

Monday Night
Risk 30 to win 25 on the Packers.

Going against protocol, I’m spanning all the early action across timeslots. It doesn’t pose any particular problem, though, as there is no conditional action at all. That in itself is actually a little odd, come to think of it.

I’m reading these posts as I have the HBO special about the Cubs on in the background. I feel like I want to throw up. Wait Until Next Year my ass. Bartman is the Devil. Please let the Cubs crush the Seahawks. I’m begging you.

If they’re allowed to bring their baseball bats, they might have a chance. Otherwise it’s going to be pretty brutal.

Pats are going to be without starting CB and FS (Hobbs and Wilson) against the Cinci passing attack from all reports - so this could get really ugly. Or, it could be yet another motivating factor! crosses fingers

Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears, Da Bears

Da Bears

Yay!! We’re not the worst!!!