NFL 2018 Regular Season

The problem is just as much Aaron Rodgers as McCarthy. I used to like Rodgers, but he’s becoming a sniveling snotty nosed punk like Jay Cutler.

Let’s go Eagles

Amen!

The Browns used to go through one QB after another as if they were disposable wipes.

Apparently the Redskins have taken over that role.

I’m curious if they are going to rename the Mike McCarthy Show (it has been named for the current coach in the past) I guess it doesn’t take that long to change the title graphic.
For those not familiar it is a half hour show “reviews and previews games this week, is joined by a special Packers guest and a question and answer session with the fans”

Brian

So what does the NFL, and what do the Skins do now? They obviously have no QB and it’s pretty obvious that Colin Kaepernick can at least play the position at a mediocre level, and even beyond that at times.

By failing to sign Kap, the NFL is basically saying it’s more okay to beat women than it is to kneel during the national anthem. The NFL can go screw itself. It’s not dying because middle-aged white men are disgusted with it; it’s dying because under Roger Goodell the league and the product have no authenticity and integrity. And I guess because in this day and age there are a million other ways to entertain thyself.

Washington should sign Kaepernick. They’re desperate for a QB, they have a serious image problem due to the having a racial slur as a name, and they’re hanging onto the mere possibility of an off-season by their fingernails.

I don’t know if they can though. Did losing two QBs free up cap space or is that just a lot of dead money now? Colin definitely wasn’t interested in backup QB money at Seattle so he’s going to want starter cash. Can they afford to pay him? They may have to settle for someone willing to take less cash, like a Kellen Clemens, or just try to make it work with Sanchez (and frankly I don’t think they can do it with someone like that).

And is Colin still in shape? Did his injuries hurt his throwing? He might not be as good as he was anymore.

Washington’s decision making as a franchise is questionable at best. That said, I don’t know if it’s obvious that Kap is at least a mediocre QB. He hasn’t played in what, two years? And doesn’t he have an ongoing lawsuit against the NFL?

Kap had his chance to return to the NFL last year with Baltimore and he (and/or his girlfriend) was more interested in stirring controversy.

I forgot to add that I’m no longer sure he honestly wants to actually play in the NFL anymore.

Bruce Allen (Redskins team President) is pretty hard-line Republican. His brother is former Virginia governor and Senator George Allen. Dan Snyder donated $1 million to Donald Trump’s inaugural committee and $112K in 2015-16 to Right to Rise, a super PAC created to support Jeb Bush. 'Nuff said.

As long as those two are in charge, the Redskins will NEVER even look in Kap’s general direction.

If they were worried about their image they wouldn’t have claimed Reuben Foster.

There are probably half a dozen guys out there that could be picked up for some spare change to play QB for Washington. Kapernick was pretty meh – about level with Sanchez. At this point, they could find someone without too much difficulty, who could at least make it interesting.

You both have good points about why it’d probably never happen, even if Colin was still good and the team could afford it.

My original point is that Colin not playing for Washington (or any other team) is more than just politics. Not that politics aren’t a reason (and possibly they’re the biggest reason) but you can’t just say it’s only about politics.

I’m wondering if Washington is going to win another game this year. They have the Giants next week, and the Jags the following week, and those are both bad teams. But without a passable (pun) QB they’re just dead in the water. Even Manning and Bortles are better than Sanchez.

See, this is the aspect of the Kaepernick narrative that’s frustrating. I guess it makes a lot of fans feel gross to just acknowledge that the sport they’re supporting is just flat out blackballing a player for political reasons, so they deflate his skill level so they can pretend there are other reasons.

No, Colin Kaepernick was not “about level with [Mark] Sanchez.” Sanchez played four more-or-less full seasons and in the best of them - 2010 with the Jets - he was worse than Kaepernick was in his worst season (2016). Kaepernick never once had a completion percentage lower than 58%; Sanchez got over this number exactly once, playing half a season for the Eagles in 2014. Sanchez’s career interception percentage was 3.8%; Kaepernick’s is 1.8%, the same as Tom Brady. Mark Sanchez is a bad football player by NFL standards. Colin Kaepernick was a much better quarterback than Mark Sanchez was or will ever be.

In Kaepernick’s last full season, his QBR was 22nd about qualified QBs and his Quarterback Rating was 17th. Both of these are pretty flawed stats, and neither account for his value as a runner, but they serve as a useful starting point. Taken as a whole, I’d say he was about the 20th best QB in the world in 2016. Even if he’s atrophied a bit from disuse, he’d still be in the top 30 - a below-average starter but unequivocally better than the likes of Mark Sanchez.

His treatment by the NFL is a continuing disgrace.

Well, incredibly, they have now lost McCoy to a broken leg as well. Adios! :eek:

Good data. Most people I think assume that Sanchez is a excellent game manager with a high completion rate in the mold of a Chad Pennington. You didn’t include his QBR/PR ranks (and I’m lazy) but assuming you didn’t cherry pick, this would certain contradict my personal presumptions.

Kaepernick in his prime was better than Sanchez in his prime. Maybe not by a mile, but he was better. But Kap’s last two seasons in the league were not great. Now, hey, Sanchez’s last couple years were pretty awful too, even worse than Kap’s. When Washington was looking for a backup to Colt McCoy (who himself probably should have been a 3rd stringer) Sanchez seemed like an OK option. Now that they need a starting QB, Kaepernick would be the better option if he’s interested in actually playing football.

I will certainly grant you that Kaepernick was better than Mark Sanchez.

Taking that and concluding that somehow means there are no other reasons that he is out of football is a huge leap though.

Kaepernick had a modicum of success (I’m not sure we can call 20th best QB a “success”. I’d call it more like “not sucking”) when he was running one specific offense, one tailored to his skill set. Even at his best, though, he was highly erratic and inaccurate (that completion percentage of his that you mentioned was good for 23rd among NFL QB’s).

Even at his best, he wasn’t a good passer, and he only got worse his last two seasons in the league (as teams began to get film on him and adjusted their defenses). He led the league his last two years in percentage of off target throws. And once the 49ers defense took a dive, so did his stats, his skills, and his wins. Hell, he was benched for Blaine fucking Gabbert his last year, not for his stance on issues, but because he wasn’t anywhere a good QB anymore. His final full years’ defensive adjusted yards above replacement (from Football Outsiders) was -182, the worst in the NFL. He simply couldn’t succeed without a great defense and needed to run the single read option and not a grown up NFL offense that the Niners wanted to run.

Don’t get me wrong, though. He was, at one time, talented enough to be a backup QB in the NFL. The problem with that, though, is that he needed a particular kind offense to be successful. And by that time, no teams were running it. So if a team wanted to make him a backup QB, they’d have to learn two separate offense, one for the starter and one for the backup. Otherwise, he was a bad, dare I say Sanchezesque, QB. When you add in the fact that having him as a backup QB would inevitably lead to problems with fans calling for him to play, it would be a nightmare.

So he was a bad starting option at QB and a problematic backup QB who only found success running one particular kind of offense that defenses eventually adjusted to. That’s not going to earn him a job anywhere.

I’m hoping after this year, we don’t have every sportswriter desperate for clicks mentioning Kaepernick every single time a QB goes down.

He doesn’t seem to have any real interest in playing football, he’s doing just fine as an activist. And, he’s not a good backup as he really needs to be on team that’s built around him. And, just like Tebow, you don’t want the headache of your back up QB giving press conferences unless he’s just pulled some children out of a burning building.

The Redskins have a schedule that could allow them to slip into the playoffs, but they’re going nowhere this year.

Everything you say is accurate, but I think the last statement is less certain. There are absolutely backup QBs on NFL rosters that are every bit as limited as Kaep.