NFL 2021: Week Five Easy Pieces

Yeah, Drew Brees retiring had some of this. He negotiated a reduced contract because he knew his time was coming up soon, so that reduced his cap hit.

He also waited until after Jun 1 so his hit could be spread out over this season and next as he’d be a post-Jun 1 cut instead of them taking the entire hit this season.

Is it really still the case that the only way I can watch an out-of-market 1pm Sunday game is to switch to DirecTV, where you have to pay to watch all games? That seems really outdated.

I’d pay $5 to watch the Panthers @ Eagles game this week, I think. That seems like such an obvious service to offer. It would fit right in on Amazon Prime. Their interface is perfect for it, like with tv shows where you have to pay by the episode or season.

I’m really on the Panthers train, which now makes my fourth team I’m actually rooting for. And they may have pulled ahead of the Browns. (Or maybe not. I honestly don’t know who I’d root for in a Browns/Panthers Superbowl.) With all the trades between the Giants/Browns and Jets/Panthers, it’s a little like they’re sister teams.

You have to wait until the games are over, but NFL Game Pass is your best value at $99/season. That’s all I got.

Okay that is seriously tempting. $100, huh? I would enjoy the shit out of those 45-minute replays. Just stream it right on my Roku.

The international version of gamepass lets you watch the games live, it’s only in the US version that blacks them out. They determine that based on where your internet traffic is coming from.

In totally unrelated news, as a public service announcement, having a VPN is a good option to improve your internet privacy.

Honestly I’d mostly want it for the 45 minute replays, which I can’t imagine are available much sooner than the next day anyway.

Besides which a DVR is mandatory for me. I can’t watch games truly live unless it’s in person.

In that case it sounds almost ideal for you. I’ve had it for a few years, I like it.

Actually, full disclosure I originally intended to cancel it after the first year, but during the offseason I forgot that it auto-renews until I got the email notifying me that my subscription had already renewed, so I just kept it. You also can view every single game going back to 2012, currently, as well as all kinds of other content. It’s actually a great deal for 100 bucks IMO.

The year of 2012 or the season? Does it have the second Giants Superbowl win?

Actually, looking at it right now, I’ve got everything, preseason, regular season, and playoffs, starting with the Hall of Fame Game in 2009 forward until now. And full replays of every Super Bowl.

No sorry I misspoke. It’s actually starting with the preseason in 2011 forward until now. But the “every Super Bowl” part was right.

Yeah, unfortunately without Mixon we’re left with a rookie in Evans out of Michigan with a lot of potential but hardly any game experience, and Perine, whom is underwhelming to me. Maybe he’ll help carry the load, IDK.

I do however expect a lot of throwing in this game, even if Mixon were 100% I’d still feel that way. I’m just praying we can muster enough of a respectable run game with offensive line push (I mean, we are at home and 3-1, so…???) to keep us from falling behind early and needing to throw even more than we otherwise would.

If I had to guess I’m going with a shootout, but GB can run the ball a little too, yet our defensive front has kept some pretty good RB’s seriously in check, so…any given Sunday I guess?

Defensive battles in the NFL have become so rare, I miss them. Usually games with low scoring now are about two inept offenses not hitting their groove rather than two really good defenses shutting each other down. You probably only get a handful of these games a year now.

OK, I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen a play where the punter kicks the ball twice. And doesn’t get penalized for it.

That was a crazy play. Blocked punt and it ends up netting 68 yards for the punter. It should have been a penalty for the second kick being across the line, but then we would have lost out on such a weird stat.

They don’t do it because it’s stupid and no one would agree to it

Oh yeah. That’s why Geno Smith is a backup…

I find it off-putting that they don’t go to commercial at the 2-minute warning anymore.

Given the slog of most of the first half, this outcome was about as crazy and cool as a non-fan of either team can hope for: a good football game edged with madness.

I am so pissed. I made a single game parlay that was +35000 (yes plus 35000) and I got the prop bets to hit. Seahawks get an interception. DK Metcalf scores the first touchdown. All I need is Wilson to get a 40 yd pass and a second passing TD and Lockett to get 70 yds receiving total. I am already spending that cash.

Then the pass there Wilson get injured

Lockett makes that catch he’s going to score and my parlay hits. But it’s a yard too long. Then the finger. OK, Geno Smith will play a series while they tape up his finger and test it out. I’m still good right? Nope. Wilson never gets back in the game.