NFL 2021: Week Five Easy Pieces

Is this true? I consider myself really well versed in NFL contract minutiae and this nuance completely escaped me. I’m trying to imagine how you would retroactively apply a cap hit to a season that occurred 3 years ago. Is it somehow subject to available cap at the time? The cap number fluctuates as the season goes along and rosters change so what number would they base this retroactive calculus on?

It might be out of date, but when it comes to making money I generally trust the NFL to squeeze every available penny out of it. I assume they ran the numbers and the number of people who will pay $99 for the whole package just to get one or two games (and subsequently forget to cancel) is greater than 5% of the people who would otherwise pay $5 for a single game. Plus you know, companies (and investors) value recurring subscription revenue above all else so the math has to be REALLY compelling to offer one-time purchases as an alternative. It’s kind of the same reason most of the streaming services haven’t really embraced PPV as an affordable alternative to subscriptions. Renting a single movie on Amazon costs about the same (or more) than the fully monthly rate for the service and Netflix, Disney and HBO don’t offer it at all.

I might not have explained it well.

It doesn’t prorate into previous years but the length of the proration takes the existing (non-extension portion) of contract length into account.

But let’s say you have the following situation:

2020: Sign 4 year deal for $x
2022: Sign 5 year extension (into 2027) for $y

Total is a contract for a 7 year period (from 2020 to 2027) for $y plus the first two years of $x.

The $y can be prorated over the full 7 years but from 2022 into 2029 rather than 2022 to 2027 even if the contract only runs to 2027. And that’s weird, but it’s allowed. If that contract isn’t fully played out, the future money hits as a dead money cap hit as soon as the player is gone. So, say they get cut in 2024, then all that future money out to 2029 hits in 2024.

It’s a bit of a weird shell game almost but it can happen.

How come? I thought everyone hated commercial breaks, and that’s why we fast forward through them.

It’s easier (faster) to fast forward through commercial breaks. Now they stop and do annoying patter for a minute until the game resumes. My attempts to fast forward through the patter have gone poorly.

Russell Wilson has a ruptured tendon in the middle finger of his throwing hand. He’ll be having surgery, and is likely to miss 6-8 weeks.

And us Seahawks fans are looking forward to next year.

The 49ers have placed tight end George Kittle on IR, with a calf injury that he’s been suffering from for several weeks; the move to IR places him out of action for at least three weeks.

Agreed. But Game Pass is what I wasn’t aware of and ended up being the answer to my real question. For some reason when I googled I got the impression that you could only do that with DirecTV. But switching from cable to satellite is like a whole life change in addition to the cost.

Just paying a straight $100 for the entire season to stream on my television with the Roku is the solution I was looking for. In fact I think it’s $75 now, 25% off likely because 25% of the season is over. And this is the absolute perfect week for me to get it: I will have finished the Jets game by 1:00 but the Giants game won’t start until 4:00, and I would very much enjoy watching the Panthers in the early slot.

So can I just start streaming the Panthers game at like 2:00 p.m., skipping commercials and fast forwarding and whatnot? Or is it only real time?

This field in London is pretty cool. We got a little time lapse similar to the videos up thread coming out of a commercial break. Apparently they keep a synthetic NFL field tucked away under the stadium, ready to pull out for any NFL games.

Much better than that horrible mud bowl in the inaugural London game back in 2007 between the Giants and Dolphins.

EDIT: Jets really Jetting up this game. Giving up three long scoring drives to the Falcons to start the game while themselves going 3 and out, 3 and out, 2 and interception.

Oh my god a miracle. Can the Jets’ offense do anything right now?

So far, Zach Wilson (a “your guy”) looking like about what I would expect, lost, dumb, and inaccurate. I’m much more surprised that a Robert Saleh coached team is being so easily picked apart.

I’m a little behind real time, but Zack Wilson just beaned an offensive lineman in the back of the head with the ball trying to throw it to the running back. No penalty.

I think it’s very telling that wen the Jets got good field position thanks to a kick return, they ran the ball 6 out of 7 plays and scored a touchdown. Not a lot of faith in Zach Wilson…

And here I sit watching the Panthers game, potentially for free if I just cancel before the free 7-day trial ends.

It was super confusing to set up. I signed up on the computer, where I apparently already had an account. I guess it’s just a regular nfl.com account? Then I added the NFL channel to Roku, which asked me to enter an activation code on nfl.com. so I went to the computer and did the code, and then when I came back to the television the Panthers game was actually playing on the television. All by itself; I still haven’t seen the NFL channel interface.

It seemingly read my mind, which is unsettling.

Also unsettling is that Sam Darnold can apparently only throw the ball out of bounds. Not to actual receivers.

Patriots vs Texans is at 12-6 with three touchdowns and three missed PATs.

I wonder if this is a record of some kind.

I believe the single team record for a game is 3, tied between like 6-7 teams. Don’t know about the total for a single game.

Even more odd is that it’s the Texans winning (currently 9-15 Patriots - Texans)

Packers are grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory. The missed extra point (The missed filed goal wasn’t even close) may be the deciding factor.

Brian

Ahh well it was 22-9 to Houston, then the Patriots rack up 16 unanswered points and that was that.
Texans and David Mills were not awful as far as I could tell.

Mason Crosby had a meltdown, missed 2 game winning kicks including a chipshot and an extra point that might’ve been the winner too.