NFL 2021: Week Five Easy Pieces

Five missed field goals in the late 4th quarter and OT of the Packers/Bengals game (three by Mason Crosby, two by Evan McPherson).

Prior to that, Crosby had made 20-odd FGs in a row.

I think the Browns can beat the Chargers but it depends on how much Baker has recovered from his shoulder injury. It’s a torn labrum and some other damage to his non-throwing arm, but it clearly impacted his mechanics, his accuracy was all over the place last week. They managed to win despite it, but I don’t think they can beat the chargers unless he’s healed up more.

Browns running game is already beating them down though on the first drive.

There are some incredibly loud Packers fans at the bar I’m at now, the parade of missed field goals and their reaction has been interesting

And, Crosby finally makes one. 49 yards, for the win in OT.

That’s gotta be a record for the number of times you get a crack at a game winning kick.

Missing the 51 if it was a driving blizzard would be understandable, but 40 in at least decent conditions?
As they say “a win is a win”

Brian

Stupid “NFL rules”. In AZ they cut away before the kick to the Cards game.

But last week, we had suffer through the entire 14 minute 50 seconds of the previous OT. They were NOT going to cut over. The Pack game was almost in the 2nd quarter.

Saquon Barkley out with an ankle that blew up like a balloon. Looks like he’s missing weeks. Daniel Jones had to be carted off for a massive concussion. Major wobbly legs; he almost collapsed. It looked bad.

On the plus side game is currently tied 10-10, though the Cowboys are driving. Currently at the 2:00 warning. Mike Glennon and the no-name running backs get the ball to start the second half.

The optics (and likely the brain) of Daniel Jones trying to function after he lowered his head on a QB keeper and took a hit was capital U ugly.

Browns lead time of possession 22-8 in the first half. Really, the theme of the year is that the Browns should be way up but are only modestly up, it’s happened almost every game now. Fairly minor complaint, but they’re having a hard time blowing teams out when by the stats and game feel it seems like they should be.

The running game of the Browns is somethin nice. Good to know that even in this day and age of RPO and throw it 50 times, the ground and pound still matters.

Just saw a Dallas player rip the helmet off a NY players head as he was scoring a touchdown. I would assume that gets more than a gentle chiding and implorement to be better.

Probably the best Cowboys team I’ve seen since at least 2008, and possibly since 1995.

Browns/Chargers game was pretty crazy. Over 1000 yards of combined offense, 700 of which were Nick Chubb. Refs apparently bet the money line on the chargers. The browns lost something like 9 defensive players to injury during the game.

The end was interesting - the chargers were down by 1 point with about 1:40 left and had it at the Browns 10 or so and the Browns were out of timeouts. The chargers ran the ball and it looked like Ekeler was trying to give himself up so that the clock could run down before they scored, but the Browns defense gang tackled him and then dragged him forward into the endzone, forcing him to get a TD with more time left on the clock, which was savvy.

Which resulted in the Browns getting the ball with 90 seconds left, down by 5 points, and then proceeded to throw 3 2-yard passes in a row and completely waste a minute of what time they had for no reason at all. Terrible playcalling and execution.

Oh, and everyone missed what ended up being a great game so that another boring ass NFC East game could be the national game. I would be happy if they’d just take a fucking decade off from showing every NFC game in primetime/national at this point.

Even the chargers fans on reddit are rushing in to say “yeah, refs gave us the game, that sucks, good game”

If you give up 45+ points, you can’t weep about losing. Muscle up, Cleveland D.

That’s a silly attitude, it’s very elitist and probably plays into the whole macho mentality of football, assuming you wouldn’t say the same for a low scoring game.

If a team wins 6-3 because a touchdown was taken away from them, would you say “you can’t complain about a game where you only scored 3 points”? Even if it was the bad call that took away their additional score?

If poor officiating changed the outcome of the game, that’s a bad thing whether it was a high scoring game or a low scoring game or whatever you decide it needs to be for one team to “deserve” to win.

I of course had to watch the Boys beat down the Giants, and following the Chargers/Browns game online. What happened with the officiating?

Yes, great play by the Browns D, but Ekeler could have simply taken a knee, which is giving yourself up. He was still upright when the defense pushed him into the end zone.

My issue with QB Rating:

Baker Mayfield: 23/32 305 2 TD 0 INT QBR 122.5 (Now, that’s a very good game, no knock on Baker, but they LOST. Not his fault for sure, but…)

Justin Hebert: 26/43 398 4 TD 0 INT QBR 122 (and his team WON)

Far too much weight for completion percentage, IMO.