NFL 2022: Super Wildcard Week

No one has missed four in ANY NFL game it seems.

Have no idea if statmuse is a reputable site.

Raiders missed 3 in 1976 vs. Green Bay: reason the original kicker (Fred Steinfort) didn’t get a chance for #3 himself is because punter Ray Guy tried (and missed) #3. He was replaced by Errol Mann for the rest of the season, tho he wasn’t any better.

Well, I don’t think they would have any reason to lie about NFL stats.

I would have expected that 3 missed XPs in a game would have been primarily due to weather. But, like tonight, several of those games were played in domes or in warm-weather cities.

Yup; I had to look up the Max Zendejas one, because I remember him being a lousy kicker when he was with the Packers (though the 3 missed XP game was when he was with the Redskins, as a rookie). It was against Minnesota, at the Metrodome.

In at least that case, the guy was just not a very good kicker. He missed 5 XPs in all that year (back when the XP was a 19-yard kick), and was only successful on 85% of his XP attempts in his three-year career, in an era where the league-wide success rate was 97%.

Another great point. Most of those 3-misses-games were at the shorter distance. At least tonight these are 33-yard misses.

And, then, the Bucs finally get a touchdown, decide that kicking is cursed tonight, go for a 2-point conversion, and miss that, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

NFC East providing solid proof that it was the best division in football. Assuming Dallas wins tonight, all three of their playoff teams will advance.

First Cowboys road playoff win since 1992.

First time an NFL kicker has missed 4 extra points in a game since 1932.

I hate the Cowboys passionately, and even I felt bad for the kicker. I’m almost glad he made the final PAT, so he doesn’t still have that hanging over his head.

And kudos to the Bucs for continuing to go for it even though the game was way out reach. The onside kick was great.

I’m guessing the Cowboys/Tampa game had great ratings. I’m telling my son that Cowboy haters and Brady haters make up the majority of NFL fans (after liking their own team).

Brady, Elliot, and Fournette should retire. Not much in the tank from what I’ve seen. Elliot and Fournette both are “only” 27 but that’s a long time in running back years.

Which is exactly why it was on MNF. Now the Boys have 5 days off before playing a Niners team that will have had 7 days off.

I doubt the extra two days would have saved them. I’ve never seen Prescott win a truly important game yet in his entire career, and I sincerely doubt he will this coming weekend. They dominated a sub-500 Tampa Bay team that didn’t belong in the playoffs, and the results were predictable. Now, they are going to face a team that is actually very good. Adios, Dak, as usual.

Oh, I don’t disagree. I’m a Cowboys hater, so I don’t really care about this perceived inequity. But should the Niners dominate, all we’ll hear from Dallas fans is this discrepancy.

Well, one could say that, time off aside, the 49ers game was much tougher and more challenging, and it required more hard work and energy to win. The Cowboys’ win was like picking the wings off a drugged fly.

Elliott totally tanked it in after he got his big contract. The guy performs ludicrously bad now. It’s obvious that after he got the money, he went into a turtle shell.

Having only 5 days to find a new kicker instead of 7 is a real disadvantage.

I expect they’ll keep him, he’s been very good for Dallas for a while.

Immediately after the game, Jerry Jones indicated that he had no plans to replace Maher, but Jones then backtracked on that a bit today, saying that “we will take a look at it.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/17/jerry-jones-changes-tune-cowboys-kicker-situation-brett-maher

It doesn’t matter if he’s the greatest kicker ever if extra points are now in his head. But that’s a big if.

Thinking back to Jay Feely missing those three game-winning field goals in Seattle back in the 2000s, the Giants kept him. That was in the regular season, though, and they had the luxury of a bunch of regular season games to let him get his footing back, so to speak. And they still made the playoffs.*

I think you should keep him in general, but goddamn it would scare me in the playoffs. I think I cut him.

*Eli’s first appearance, where he and the rest of the team played like shit and got crushed 23-0 in Carolina.

The Packers had the same sort of patience with Mason Crosby, who, after five excellent years, had a miserable 2012 season, making only 64% of his field goals. They stuck with him, he bounced back, and has played another ten seasons (so far) with him.

That said, Maher doesn’t have the same sort of track record; the Cowboys released him in mid-2019 due to inaccuracy, but re-signed him this year, after he had been cut by the Saints in the offseason. (And, to be fair, Maher did have a good regular season in 2022.)

Or, deactivate him somehow, and sign another kicker. That said, any kicker who’s available as a free agent right now may be no more accurate than Maher.