NFL 2022: Super Wildcard Week

I’ve edited for brevity here, but the gist of what I’m getting from you is that Jones has sucked for two years, but he had one great playoff game, so now you think he should get a long term deal. That sounds like playoff-win euphoria talking.

Jones has shown a lot of improvement this season over prior seasons. His throwing has been solid and more importantly his decision making this year progressed from he’s looking better to he now is a good decision maker.

He’s far from an elite QB, but he is a very serviceable one and tough as hell.

Two wins. One playoff win and one regular season win against a scrub 4-11 Colts team without a professional head coach.

The hope is that a second tier of QB contract becomes a thing for guys like Daniel Jones and Geno Smith. I doubt either will be demanding to be made the highest paid QB in the league.

My last rwo choices flopped so since I want the Cowboys to win tonight ( not super rooting for them, just a smidge) I can tell you the Buccs will win.

Not really a Cowboys fan, but:

1. A sub-.500 team in the postseason is ridiculous

2. A sub-.500 team hosting a postseason game is an absolute joke

3. I always root against Tom Brady anyway

So, go ‘Boys!

A team that makes it to the postseason with a losing record is more likely than not to get there because they’re in an awful division. Wild card teams have to get in via their record. Since division winners get to host the wild card game, then you expect that this is not at all unheard of. (See the famous Beat Quake game for example.)

In other words, it would be more unusual (and a bigger joke) for a sub-.500 team to get in as a wild card (and therefore never host a postseason game). Because that means that as bad as their record is, it’s still better than at least half of the rest of the conference.

It’s one thing for a division to be bad, but a whole conference?!

Other than a strike-shortened season, I don’t think that’s ever happened.

But, if the number of wild-card teams is ever expanded (and it will be, I’m guessing), then this could very easily happen in the future.

I think you’re right. i guess you’d have to have a really lopsided record between the conferences for so many teams to be so bad.

It would be interesting to see the math on this, how this could happen. I’d do it myself if I had the time.

Yeah, what is this, the NBA? :wink:

I ran the numbers a few weeks ago in one of these threads. It’s mathematically possible for all six wild card teams – both conferences – to have losing records. You don’t even need the 17th game; it was possible with a 16-game season.

All division winners go undefeated in their division, then split the rest of their games. That’s 6-0 plus 5-5 for a record of 11-5.

Everyone else splits all their games except they get swept by their division winner. That’s 2-4 plus 5-5 for a record of 7-9.

In this improbable situation, you’d have to start going pretty deep into tiebreakers since 12 teams in each conference would be tied at 7-9 for the wildcard.

The Manning brothers get a playoff game. I’m both happy and surprised by that.

Twelve plays so far: 3 punts, 5 incompletions, one sack, 2 runs for a loss and only one play for positive yards. Ugly.

It could have easily happened this year in the NFC.

Seahawks were the last Wild Card team with a 9-8 record. Lions were also 9-8; Commanders were 8-8-1. All other NFC teams were either in the playoffs or had a losing record.

All 3 of those teams won a game against an AFC opponent; Seahawks beat the Chargers, Lions beat the Jets, Commanders beat the Jags.

Had all 3 of those teams lost the above games, the last NFC wild card team would have had a losing record.

I’d hate to be the Dallas kicker right now. It could be his last game as a Cowboy the way this game is going.

I do realize that with four-team divisions, a losing record is bound to come out on top now and then. I’d like to see the playoffs seeded by overall record rather than guarantee a home game for all division winners.

When’s the last time a kicker has missed three consecutive PA attempts, let alone in the playoffs?

You are not alone in that sentiment.

Dak ran for a nice first down in that drive to close the half, but the hit knocked one of his shoulder pads out of his jersey. Transcribed:

Peyton: Attaboy, Dak. That’s the way to use your legs. Fix your shoulder pads. Come on, fix his shoulder pads. Come on, Zeke, fix the shoulder pads.

Eli: Come on, Zeke, help out your quarterback.

Peyton: Help him out!

Zeke never did, but the next play we see McGovern fix it on camera. But when he does you can see grass stuck in Dak’s helmet.

Eli: No one’s getting the grass out of Dak’s helmet. They’re not fixing his shoulder pads. I mean, what’s going on over here?

Peyton: (laughing) Yeah, help him out a little bit.

Cracked me up.

Make that FOUR missed extra points. Good thing that the Dallas D is kicking ass.

That’s gotta be some sort of record, right?

I think they just flashed a graphic that 3 missed XPs was a playoff record. So he not only broke the old record, now he’s shattering it.