NFL Draft - 2021

Bears took another OT in the 5th. Look like Pace is bound and determined to give Fields a chance to survive out there.

Can’t say it’s a bad idea.

Or, to reword that a bit: “Everyone is a lot higher on Jenkins than I am”. Which is exactly what I said.

Oklahoma State runs the Mike Gundy, spread RPO offense, which is different than Nagy’s offense.

But, aswith all things in the draft, we shall see.

For obvious reasons, I really hope Chuba Hubbard makes the Panthers’ roster.

Not exactly a rare gimmick in CFB.

Gundy says he’s more talented that Russell Okung. Obviously he has a vested interest here, and I generally consider Gundy a shithead, but he did recruit and coach both guys for a lot of games.

Bears just grabbed a RB who’s draft profile reads like a David Montgomery clone.

It’s a position we need depth at but this seems like another pick to help out Fields. And maybe a little bit of BPA.

Edit: Now they add a WR finally, but the scoop on the guy reads more like a KR/PR prospect than a WR for the first couple seasons. Dynamic player with the ball if they can figure out how to get it to him. Cordarelle replacement maybe.

Bears finally took a CB. Know nothing about this guy. :man_shrugging:t2:

So the Seahawks went totally opposite of what anyone expects which is typical of them, they’re always unpredictable. They did not trade back once despite how few they have, and even traded up with the Bears in the 6th round.

However, they got a WR, a CB, and a LT. All positions of need, at least for depth if nothing else. They did a lot in the offseason to get their roster pretty solid so I’m not at all disappointed.

Not an original observation but this is too interesting not to post.

Trevor Lawrence + Travis Etienne
Tua Tagovailoa + Jaylen Waddle
Joe Burrow + Ja’Marr Chase
Jalen Hurts + DeVonta Smith

Bunch of CFB NCG teammates being paired up this year on NFL teams.

It’s perfect how completely dead wrong I was about this. :zipper_mouth_face:

So I took sometime to relax, read, and check out some tape on the Packers draft. Yesterday I hated Gutey’s draft, and today … I still hate it, just slightly less hate. Overall, the best thing that can be said is that the Packers drafted for need. They needed to draft a #2 CB, an ILB or 2, a slot WR, 2 O-linemen, a 3-4 DE, and maybe a project QB. They did all of that, excet the QB part. So if you want to rate them on filing needs, they did.

I just disliked their priorities, their value, and, the other options available. They reached for a lot (almost all) of the players, and with every pick, there was not just a better player, but a better player at the position they drafted, available. Of course, with all things draft, we will see. If the players they picked work out, great! But neither I, nor the seeming consensus of draft experts, agreed they took the best player available.

Here’s their picks:

Round 1: No. 29 – Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

The Good: Incredible measurables. He’s tall (6’1”) with a great wingspan (79 inches), and speed (4.29 40 time). He also has experience playing against (and occasionally getting slaughtered by) the best of the best in the SEC. Finally, he has good upside. He’s relatively new to the position and he got better every year he played. With his measurables, he could develop into a stud NFL CB.

The Bad: He’s not close to that yet. His footwork needs work (he was pretty awful against Alabama), he’s pretty one-dimensional (good at press, not great instincts in zone), and he is atrocious in the run game and tackling.

The Pick: Most outlets had him as a late 2nd/3rd round selection. PFF had him as their 72nd ranked player. Bad value at pick 29. Fits a position of need, though.

Other Options: At CB: Asante Samuel Jr. was almost universally higher rated, and Kelvin Joseph or even Tyson Campbell were in most. Outside of CB, Christian Barmore, Jevon Holland, and even Tevin Jenkins would have filled needs without being such a reach.

Overall: C-

Round 2: No. 62 – Josh Myers, C, Ohio State

The Good: A versatile (can play any interior position on the O-line), well sized (6’5”, 310) 2 year starter for a big time school, Myers is a solid player with experience against elite players. He’s quite good at run blocking. With the loss of Corey Linsley, drafting a center was a need.

The Bad: He’s never really shone out as being or having the potential to be, anything special, just a solid college player. He loses balance against faster players, and graded rather poorly by PFF (65,4)

The Pick: Generally considered a 3rd rounder although PFF had him all the way down at #154. Not a horrible reach, but a reach nonetheless. I’m furious they didn’t trade up 3 picks to get Terrance Marshall.

Other Options. Creed Humphrey (the Chiefs must be laughing their asses off that Myers went right before him) and Landon Dickenson were, once again, almost universally higher ranked players at the position. Quinn Meinertz also had more upside and was higher in most mocks. Bad value and better players available.

Grade: D+

Round 3: No. 85 – Amari Rodgers, WR, Clemson

The Good: Another starter at a big time program (Clemson), Rodgers is a versatile (he can line up almost anywhere includng the backfield) receiver who excelled with Trevor Lawrence throwing to him. He also has value as a returner. He’s quick and sturdy, with explosiveness, and can break tackles after making the catch. Also, a position of need.

The Bad: He’s only 5’10” and ran a limited route tree in college. Had the best QB in the nation making him look good. His upside is pretty much limited to a solid #3 option, wont ever be a lead #1 WR.

The pick: The Packers gave up their compensatory 4th round pick to move up just 7 spots to get Rodgers. 2 Wrs were picked in those spots, so, while it was a bit of a heavy price, it may have had to be done. PFF had him at #128, so they think it was yet another huge reach, but most sites had him as a 4th rounder, so maybe not a huge, but still a reach.

Other Options: Jaelon Darden, Josh Palmer, Nico Collins, and Amon St. Brown were all higher rated Wrs, and most of them have higher ceilings. I was screaming for Quinn Meinertz, James Hudson, or Cam Sample. All these guys have higher ceilings than I see Rodgers having.

Grade: C

Round 4: No. 142 (Compensatory) – Royce Newman, OG, Ole Miss

The Good: Another versatile lineman (played both G and RT), who gives Packers a lot of flexibility with their lineup. He’s a two year starter, with good size (6’5”, 315) and is pretty good of the move. Pretty athletic.

The Bad: Just a guy at this point.

The Pick: Pff had him at 244 and most others had him in the 200’s. Horrible value at 142.

Other options: Larry Borom, Jaylon Moore, and Brenden James were all higher rated. Tony Fields, Shaun Wade, and Jamar Johnson were all massively better values.

Grade: C-

And the rest:

Round 5: No. 173 – Tedarrell Slaton, DT, Florida
Round 5: No. 178 (Compensatory) – Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, Appalachian State
Round 6: No. 214 – Cole Van Lanen, OT, Wisconsin
Round 6: No. 220 (Compensatory) – Isaiah McDuffie, LB, Boston College
Round 7: No. 256 – Kylin Hill, RB, Mississippi State

The Good: Shemar Jean-Charles is an excellent player, but only against questionable competition. Still, he’s a solid prospect. Kylin Hill was great value and can easily take over short-yardage, 3rd RB duties. Cole Van Lanen is a great local story (GB native, UW player), and is OK O line depth.

The Bad: Tedarrell Slaton is big, and that’s about it. Isaiah McDuffie had a PFF grade of 39.9,making him 522 out of 536 Lbs in college.

The Picks: It’s pretty hard to differentiate picks 150-300. They are mostly individual preferences and hard to call any of them good or bad value.

Other Options: There were a ton of guys I would have preferred. Cade Johnson, WR, S. Dakota State. Demetric Felton. Tay Gowen.

Grade: Let’s call it a B.

Overall: The Packers must trust their scouting/analytics teams, because most of their picks were huge reaches. At almost every puck, there were not just better players, but also better players AT THE POSITION DRAFTED available. That’s not a good sign.

Still, if they are better and smarter than the consensus, more power to them. We will find out in a few years how they really did. But, until then, I still don’t like it.

I didn’t do any draft assessments like I used to do this year, so I know very little other than basic scouting blurbs and positions of need. How do you guys like the Browns draft?

1.26 Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern
2.52 Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, ILB, Notre Dame
2.91 Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn
4.110 James Hudson, OT, Cincinatti
4.132 Tommy Togiai, DT, Ohio State
5.153 Tony Fields II, LB, West Virginia
5.169 Richard LeCounte, S, Georgia
6.211 Demetric Felton, WR, UCLA

I thought the same thing about Seattle and not only did they not trade back, they even traded up once. I guess we suck.

As a Bears fan, I am stunned and thrilled at getting Justin Fields but, being a Bears fan, I can’t help but think about how we could manage to screw this up. I am encouraged, however, that we drafted a couple of very good offensive lineman to help protect what will hopefully be our franchise quarterback. I already can’t wait for the start of the season!

Other than the reach for one-dimensional Anthony Schwartz at pick 91, I loved it. Like, a lot. A lot, A lot. Hudson, Togiai, and Felton were all “my guys” and great value when drafted. In addition, Newsome should be a solid starter opposite Ward, great pick at 26. The star of the draft, though , was getting JOK, a first round talent at a position of need, at 52. I know a lot of teams are scared off of his dreaded “tweener” label, but it doesn’t seem to effect his play, and a good defensive coordinator will be able to take advantage of his considerable skills.

I dislike Schwartz (how “the fastest man in the draft” averaged just 11.8 ypc is beyond me), but getting Felton may make up for that. The Browns still need help on the edge (not a fan of the Clowney signing), so they have some needs still, but all in all, I absolutely loved their draft.

Little late to the party, but I figured I could kill some time by sharing my thoughts on the Bears draft. As you might expect, I’m pretty happy.

The picks:
Round 1: No. 11 - Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
The Bears traded up from pick 20 to pick 11. They gave up an additional 2021 5th rounder, pick 164, and a 2022 1st and 4th rounder. This is obviously a lot of value and we certainly will miss that 1st rounder next year if we’re a sub-500 team. This is a reasonable fear if Fields plays like a rookie or if he’s watching Dalton from the sidelines. The Bears also have made a few painful cap cuts so we could be a pretty depleted team. Pace has also been pretty reliable in drafting starters in rounds 4 and 5 so those picks are not trivial to lose.

BUT…we got Justin Fields. Fields I think is either the 2nd or 3rd best prospect in this draft depending on how much you like Zach Wilson. Fields was really bad in the CFB NCG and had a couple other stinkers and I think his biggest weakness is his ability to see and diagnose both coverages and blitzes which is a pretty serious red flag. But he’s got a plus body and arm and can make every throw and can use his legs to make plays. He’ll drive defenses crazy and he’s big and should be very durable. Assuming he can be coached this is an amazing opportunity for the Bears.

The consensus is that this pick is an amazing value, few expected him to last past pick 10. And it’s a position of dire need for this franchise. The fit is amazing. If Nagy can coach at all, if there’s any truth to the idea that Mitch was holding Nagy back for the last 4 years, we’ll find out quickly with Fields.

The long and short if it is this: if you don’t have a QB you don’t have a chance. So you do what it takes to get one, and in comparison to what the 49ers gave up to get Lance, we should feel pretty good. It’s also less than we gave up for Cutler and we’ll have him on a rookie deal for a few years. It’s a windfall in spite of the price.

Grade: A

Round 2: No. 39 - Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State
The Bears traded up from pick 52 to pick 39. They gave up an additional 2021 3rd rounder, pick 83, and 6th rounder, pick 204. They got back a 5th rounder, pick 151. There are no future picks included here which is good and the net cost averages out to around a high 4th round pick. A fair price. Trading up in both the first and second rounds is usually not advisable but it doesn’t feel like a crippling move.

I really like this player. We cut both Bobby Massie and Charles Leno Jr. this offseason for cap reasons (and them not being that great) so this is unquestionably a position of extreme need. I read dozens of mocks leading up to the draft and Teven Jenkins was slotted in as the Bears pick at 20 in probably 30-40% of them. Few mocks had Jenkins going outside of the first round. OTs did seem to slide a little with Darrishaw falling to the Vikes at 23 and Jenkins was either the 3rd or 4th rated OT on most every big board. So from a value POV, like with Fields, the consensus says that this is a major steal at this spot in the draft. Anytime you have a value+fit match you tend to walk away happy.

Since the draft I’ve watched a ton of tape on this guy and I’ve been wildly impressed. I’m frankly baffled that people could prefer ether Leatherwood and Darrishaw over Jenkins. He’s just out there killing guys. Maybe Jenkins doesn’t project quite as cleanly as a LT, but as a RT he looks like fucking Quenton Nelson. His arms aren’t of the prototypical length and he didn’t have to pass protect a lot of deep 7 step drops at the other OSU, but his hands are impeccable and he’s basically the Juggernaut when it comes to run blocking. He’s a big mean SOB.

The only real question is where the Bears decide to line him up. I think he’s an All-Pro at RT, so I wouldn’t plug him in as a LT and risk marginalizing what seems like his premiere skill, run blocking and RPOs. That said, we have a gaping hole on the backside right now.

Both of these two picks would have been an A+ if not for the need to trade up.

Round 5: No. 151 - Larry Borom, OT, Missouri
Pick received from the Panthers in the Jenkins trade. Big wait between the 2nd and 3rd picks due to the various trades.

Everything I said about Jenkins, you can pretty much do a 180 on for Borom. I likewise watched a fair bit of tape on him this week and I came away unimpressed. Depending on which draft board you’re looking at he’s either ranked the 15-16th OG or the 19-20th OT prospect. Most mocks, which admittedly get pretty shaky after the first 2-3 rounds, had him going in the 6th or 7th rounds if at all. Based on the little info we have you have to consider this a bit of a reach, likely based on need.

The Bears OL is pretty shaky inside and out. But after the recent moves the outside is far worse off. So I’m afraid the Bears are projecting this guy on the outside. Borom appears to play WAY to high and often seems like a stiff kneed waist bender. He also seems to struggle a fair bit keeping up with speed of the edge. Moving him inside where his limitations could be masked is an option, but I generally dislike the idea of drafting a guy just to convert him. If you want a OG…draft an OG, not a subpar OT. Also, while the Bears OL was pretty shit all year they seemed to find a combination that worked towards the end of the season. The inside gelled, so I struggle to picture Borom beating out either Whitehair or Daniels.

Long story short, I hate this pick. I would have been much happier if we’d taken a shot at a CB or ILB with this pick. But…lots of draftniks are praising the pick so what do I know.

Grade: C-

Round 6: No. 217 - Khalil Herbert, RB, Virginia Tech
The Bears traded back with the Seahawks to recover an extra 7th round pick, no 250.

This guy’s tape is terrific and he seems like a plus leader in the locker room. I’m really fired up about his talent but the need/fit is a little bit questionable. He honestly runs like a David Montgomery clone. He’s got excellent vision and patience and hits holes decisively. He’s really tough to bring down and has one of the best yards after first contact rates in the draft. He’s a 3-down back with the frame to be a workhorse. He is useful in the passing game and has had a lot of success as a KR/PR which is an area of need for the Bears. This is probably what got him drafted in spite of a pretty crowded RB room in Chicago.

Speaking of that crowded room. The Bears let Patterson go and signed Damien Williams in the offseason. The will be getting Cohen back from injury and on a big contract extension. Monty flashed at the end of the season during the playoff push and will be the clear RB1. So Herbert will have a lot of competition for snaps but he should beat out both Pierce and Nall for the 4th RB slot.

From a value standpoint, it’s tough to make any grand proclamations about a 6th rounder but he was mocked as a 4th or 5th rounder most of the time, for whatever it’s worth.

Grade: B+

Round 6: No. 221 - Dazz Newsome, WR, North Carolina
Compensatory pick.

I don’t really know what to make of the guy. Like many of the WRs in this year’s class he’s undersized at just 5’10" which usually is a big red flag for me personally. I’m a big believer in catch radius and being able to wall off defenders to help the QB, but this is probably just scar tissue of watching Bears QBs my whole life. He’s 190 lbs. so he’s not as slight as a lot of the better known undersized WRs and he plays strong. He’s not lightning fast and he’s not super shifty, he’s not an elite route runner nor does he have plus hands. But he was productive in a pretty explosive passing attack and he competes. His tape is better than his pro day numbers.

He projects as a slot WR and that’s definitely a key area of need for the Bears so it makes sense in that regard. He’s also a PR which also makes him a safe bet to make the roster. I have to bet that he beats out Wims or Ridley based on special teams ability alone. If the Bears find a taker for Anthony Miller that would open up a spot for Newsome as well.

Much like Herbert he showed up in the 4th and 5th round of a lot of mocks. Maybe a decent value.

Grade: B-

Round 6: No. 228 - Thomas Graham Jr, CB, Oregon
Compensatory pick, last pick in the 6th round.

2020 opt out guy who seems to have slipped as a result. Of the Bears picks his mock draft projections were all over the place. He was mocked as high as no. 32 overall to the 7th round. PFF had him as the 76th overall prospect. Like Newsome he too is a guy whose tape far surpasses his pro day measurables. He’s a little too short, a little too light and not nearly fast enough to be a elite prospect. But he was a lock down CB at Oregon in 2020. Heading into 2020 he was a guy people were comparing to Horn & Samuel.

He’s definitely at a position of serious need. We cut Kyle Fuller and haven’t really replaced him with anyone of merit. Pace is desperately hoping he struck gold again like he did last year with Jaylon Johnson. If Graham picks up where he left off in 2019 I think we probably got a steal.

Round 7: No. 250 - Khyiris Tonga, DT, BYU
Received from Seattle as part of the 6th round trade back.

The Bears conclude their draft with a name that will be one of the hardest to spell correctly this year. Trust that every Chicago talking-heads will just call him Tonga. He’s a 7th rounder so who knows if he’ll be a contributor or not. The report on his is that he’s strong as an ox and anchors in the middle really well, but he might lack the agility to close on the QB and to react to cut-backs. Also some complaints that he’s got more weight room strength than game strength. Based on the little tape I’ve seen I’d disagree with that, but I do see that he sometimes plays a little too high for a NT and may not always slip blocks.

He’s definitely got a shot to make the roster. He won’t challenge Eddie Goldman for the starting gig but we lost some depth with John Jenkins and Roy Robertson-Harris leaving in free agency. As a rotational guy on early downs he could have a shot to be another one of Pace’s late round DL gems. Time will tell.

Grade: B-/C+

Overall Draft Grade: A
I think pretty much every pundit has raved about the Bears draft. Sure, they traded up twice and spent a lot of draft capital (and were already without 4th rounder from a 2020 trade), but they got some guys that seem like steals. And they got a QB who might well be the 2nd or 3rd best prospect in the draft. They got a franchise QB…and no one around the league is scratching their heads about the pick. They also got a OT who I think could be a superstar. Maybe I’m guilty of chugging some Koolaid here, but I’d definitely not the only one

For as much as Pace gets shit for some atrocious early round misses (Trubisky, White, Floyd, Shaheen, Grasu) he’s been pretty consistent in finding mid-round starters. Even without a 3rd or 4th round pick he may have found 2 more in Graham and Herbert. If I’m wrong about that Borom pick we could be looking at an all-time great draft.

I agree that this was a great move for the long term by Pace, but there will be buyer’s remorse this time next year.

Whether it’s Dalton or Fields at QB, the offense should be better, but the defense lost a key piece and is a year older at almost every position – and they were far from great last year. So net-net I’m not seeing a big improvement over 8-8. And then there’s a depleted draft next year.

The boost from drafting Fields – and I do believe there will be one – may not be until 2023 or so. The Buffalo trajectory with Allen, IOW.