NFL Week 7

He’ll do that - he’s a roller coaster ride. 300 yard, 3 TD games and 5 int games.

Personally, I think the entire attitude of “once we let Quinn in, that’s it, there’s no going back” attitude is self imposed. It puts too much pressure on making the big decision of the switch. I just want to win football games - if Anderson is clearly having one of his off games, it wouldn’t hurt to switch it up.

I realize there’s not really any track record of success with that style of personel management, but it beats the current “we like Quinn enough not to trade him away for substantial draft picks, but we’ll never play him” strategy.

I think you’ve got who’d do the eating backwards: The Walrus could easily consume half of the Dog Pound in one sitting.

Anderson wasn’t the only one fucking up today: Braylon continued his trek to become the first wide out with triple digit drops.

Without a doubt that didn’t help, but Anderson was clearly having one of his off games. It’s remarkable he didn’t throw any ints. The other receivers were having decent days so there were some options.

In other news, Winslow was in the hospital for the 143rd staph infection on the team and apparently he’s really pissed at the organization because none of the higher ups bothered to call and see how he was, and they lied to the media that it was Winslow who wanted to keep the illness undisclosed. He may have asked for a trade before the deadline.

A few weeks ago there were reports that the offensive huddle is out of control with people screaming at each other and such. The way it looked like Vickers wanted to take a swing at Anderson today I don’t doubt it. The whole organization is falling apart.

Well, this thread didn’t work.

Can you blame him for recurrent staph infections too?

I think someone forgot to tell Chicago and Minnesota’s defenses that the bye is next week…and somebody apparently told the Vikings’ special teams to take the day off, as well.

I loved watching the Cowboys get pounded so much, I switched over to the station that was still carrying the game (Sunday Ticket, baby!) to watch the Rams twist the knife and shots of the Cowboys looking gobsmacked and dejected.

Slight backtracking: When I posted the above, I was going on misinformation that Brad Johnson had only thrown one pick – he actually threw three. No way to tell if Romo’s presence would’ve changed the outcome of the game, but still, damn that was beautiful.

The Cowboys have been sliding ever since halftime of the Eagles game and that was before many injuries came into play. They’re not near the team everyone suggested they were preseason, but for a variety of reasons that eclipse even injuries. Where, Hal, are all these “yeahbuts” you keep claiming their fans are making here? Honestly, I’ve not seen any evidence of that, yet you claim it week after week.

The Texans had to hold on at the end to prevent dropping another one late, this time though not against the Jaguars or Colts but to the Lions? Kubiak better start putting some convincing wins together. I think everyone here expected a little more success by now.

More success? Your team went 8-8 last year despite losing its two best offensive players for 5 and 9 games, respectively. If Andre Johnson and Schaub can stay healthy, and Slaton turns out to be a featured back rather than a Quentin Griffin-type flash in the pan, the Texans might be the best team in the AFC South for a while starting in a year or two.

Just like the Rams to give me a glimmer of hope.

So if Schaub and Johnson are healthy and Slaton’s running well, what would you attribute an 0-4 start and getting outscored 18 to 7 in the second half by the winless Lions to?

Yes, more success. Our two wins were against cellar dwellers and poor play selection and clock management has cost us a couple we had in hand. The loss to Pitt was particularly ugly, although without question Ike was a major disruption beforehand. I like Kubiak and I’ve said as much several times before but with this much talent in personnel we need to see some convincing wins now. We’re expecting more this year and so far it’s been a disappointment.

Considering this was the first time I’ve ever used the term, I don’t quite see how I could claim it “week after week”. I may have been making comments about the Cowboys all year, but that’s just simple hating.

The “yeahbuts” I encountered yesterday were in person, not here. Fortunately, here we run into far less of the “my team can do no wrong” attitude.

From a week ago… “I don’t want to hear all the Cowboys fans whining “Ohhh, but it’s only because we had Brad Johnson at QB…if we’d have had Romo, we’ve have romped all over you”. They will, of course, conviently ignore their defense giving up 48 points that week, but hey, can’t expect much from them now, can you?”
“…but that’s just simple hating.”

Heh, okay, thanks man, can’t blame a fan for that.

I think missing a good QB can have a legitimate effect on both sides of the ball. Case in point, look at how the Bills did after losing Trent Edwards in the first series two weeks ago. Clearly without him, the offense suffered and wasn’t on the field enough, and the defense got tired.

Well, Packer fans probably aren’t crying too much anymore about Aaron Rodgers starting over Favre at this time.

That’s the thing - you’re looking at the top players on the roster, but not the big picture. You’ve got 2 Pro-Bowl-caliber guys on defense (DeMeco Ryans and Mario Williams), and 2 (maybe 3) on offense… but you haven’t got anyone else. Dunta Robinson is decent, Owen Daniels is decent, and that’s it.

Excuse me if I’m not following the point you’re trying to make. You seem to go from questioning how we could expect more since we reached 8-8 despite injuries to saying how could we expect more with such a dearth of talent.

I don’t mind carring on a discussion but I’m not quite sure what your thesis is exactly.

I think his point is that the Texans overachieved last year, outplaying their talent level. Therefore it is unreasonable to expect more out of them at this time.

What Ellis said, exactly. Kubiak isn’t the problem, IMHO. I think the team has a good core, but poor roleplayers. If you have Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Dwight Freeney, Mike Peterson and Edgerrin James, plus a solid line, your roleplayers can be shitty and you’ll still be a winning team. If you have Manning, Wayne and Dwight Freeney, your roleplayers can’t be shitty.

That’s why I think the team can be really, really good in a year or two - you can turn a team around talent-wise in just one offseason in the modern NFL, between the draft, free agency, and maturation of guys already on the team - but isn’t any good now.

ETA: I put the blame for this at the feet of Charlie Casserly, who was really, really hit-and-miss as a drafting GM. If you’re Ted Thompson and all of your draft picks pan out, you don’t need to sign free agents. If you’re not Ted Thompson, you should probably pull out the checkbook occasionally.

Two years ago the Texans went 6-10. We drafted well and last year it was 8-8, winning 3 of their last 4 and 5 of their last 7. Draft choices and trading potential were well above average again, what with finishing poorly for so long. Therefore, this year it was not imprudent to expect we could possibly reach the playoffs for the first time. Fans here would I think be satisfied to simply make them, even if we failed to advance. That would be tangible proof some ground was being made. Instead we start off 0-4, then beat the Dolphins on near the last play and almost give up a 21 point lead to the winless (and now Williamsless) Lions.

ETA: Ah, I started to go into the whole Casserly spiel but it was just too unpleasant to revisit. Yes, I certainly agree with you there and, generally, overall more than you might think. As I’ve said before, Kubiak and Smith are making some good personnel calls and without question have the backing of a good owner. I do though think that coaching has been at times questionable this year and has cost us games. In that regard, I don’t think disappointment is unwarranted.