NHL: April 2011

I was absolutely stunned when I heard this.

I cannot even begin to fathom why the Senators are allowing Murray to continue running the team. Normally when a sports team makes a decision you don’t agree with you can at least see why they did it, but in this case I can’t understand why. Murray has run the team completely into the ground. He took over a team that had just made the finals and in four years has turned them into a team almost totally devoid of talent or hope; they stink, and there’s little talent in the system. I cannot think of a single good decision Murray has made, except getting Anderson and that was a desperation move. He has made one idiotic move after another and turned a 100-point perennial contender into a pile of horse shit.

What has Bryan Murray demonstrated that serves as evidence he should be running an NHL team? Give me one thing.

This is a bit unfair, I think. He’s had three* drafts to work with and the system is much healthier now. Still a long way to go, of course – the forwards we have coming up just aren’t very good. In his first real draft Murray managed to do what Muckler couldn’t in something like 5 drafts: get a star in the first round.

Murray’s problem has always been that he can’t evaluate NHL talent as well as he can prospects. I’ve heard it alleged that the secret to Brian Murray’s success is that he lets Tim Murray run the draft, which would explain a lot, really.

• Technically four, but his first draft was just days after he became GM so he was saddled with Muckler’s terrible scouts and, surprise surprise, ended up with a poor first-round choice.

Not may; will be, assuming they win in regulation. They’re tied with the Rangers right now with 91 points but hold the tie-breaker (amusingly, last year the Rangers missed out on the playoffs because they couldn’t win a shootout; this year they may miss out because they won too many).

Devils fans are pumped. Our team isn’t in the playoffs but we’ve been granted one playoff game, and nothing would please us more than to send the Rangers and their large contingent of obnoxious fans packing. Hopefully the team feels the same way.

The best part is, even if the Devils lose there is still the delicious chance that the Rangers might, after having their hopes raised, have them crushed later in the day when Carolina faces off against a Lightning team with nothing to play for.

I’m not sure I’d yet classify Erik Karlsson as a star.

Am I right in thinking that the Stanley Cup Champion Blackhawks will miss the playoffs if they lose tomorrow to my glorious and all-crushing Detroit Red Wings? Who’s the mastermind trading away half their talent for magic beans?

As you like, but you can’t deny that he’s head and shoulders above any of the garbage that Muckler drafted in the first round.

Well about the only thing I can say for my Wings lately is

Woohoo Go Blue, Michigan back in the Frozen Four finals. :slight_smile:
I am however somewhat at a loss for how to talk shit about Duluth. Um you guys are a bit colder than us, your Mexican food is even worse, and whatever the hell you have for a mascot, sucks. So there

He’s a star prospect. If we can expect similar things out of Cowen and Rundblad, this team is going to have a back six.

Murray is good amateur signings. Bobby Butler is starting to impress. He got Da Costa. And Winchester. He drafts well. But he has been HORRIBLE with trades and UFA signings. I’d say Craig Anderson has been the one good UFA signing he’s made to date, but even that remains to be seen. Anderson for Elliot was a steal anyway you slice it.

So, the logic is, if you’re in a rebuild (and we are), he’s the guy you want. If you want to try to rebuild in a year with a bunch of quick hired guns, yeah, he’s the LAST person I want. Kuba, Gonchar, Commodore, Stillman, Picard…and those are just the DEFENSE MEN he’s gotten us. :mad:

Hey, WE didn’t have a problem with Gonch. So it must be something more on YOUR end. :wink:

Yeah, my mum didn’t have a problem with her old Omni until some jackass rear-ended her. Ovechkin done ruined that old Dodge’s knees!

And it’s OT for all the marbles.

Well, even after that, he still managed to do well for us – Shero tried his damndest to resign him. Dude’s getting old, maybe? (Although yeah, that was a pretty bad hit – if you watch the video, I still cringe. OUCH!)

Hell, he managed to aid us in winning the Stanley Cup even WITH that knee injury!
Not that we’re having a problem with him gone, mind you. Kris Letang has been phenomenal! Pittsburgh has been on fire, even without Crosby and Malkin!

And if Marc-Andre Fleury isn’t at the very LEAST nominated for the Vezina, I’m gonna be pissed. Ditto Dan Bylsma and the Jack Adams. I doubt that Disco Dan has had to pay for a beer for months.

I don’t believe that. Not for a second. It’s too convenient that when Volchenkov walked, and got the money he deserves in New Jersey, our shutdown replacement in Zbynek Mihaleck just happens to fall into place in Pittsburgh. They knew he wasn’t worth that contract length and that price. But no, that senile old bastard with lishp didn’t learn hish lesshon after shigning Alexshei Kovalev. :rolleyes:

Maybe you’ll get Gonchar back for a 2012 playoff run in exchange for 9th round draft pick in the CFL!

I don’t believe that. Not for a second. It’s too convenient that when Volchenkov walked, and got the money he deserves in New Jersey, our shutdown replacement in Zbynek Mihaleck just happens to fall into place in Pittsburgh. They knew he wasn’t worth that contract length and that price. But no, that senile old bastard with lishp didn’t learn hish lesshon after shigning Alexshei Kovalev. :rolleyes:

Maybe you’ll get Gonchar back for a 2012 playoff run in exchange for 9th round draft pick in the CFL!

Yeah yeah yeah – well, it’s a moot point now. You just sound pissed because you didn’t make the play offs, and we did. :wink:
And like I said, we did it without Crosby and Malkin. Quite frankly, I don’t think Sid’s going to be back until next season, but even so, we’re pretty solid even without him.
(This may sound rather stupid, but I really can’t wait to see the reaction from the crowd when he does eventually come back.)

Do not diss my CFL.
Habs Vs. B-Ruins in the playoffs. I like the Habs chances.

I presume Don Cherry is pissed off that PK Subban has finished the season with 14 G and 38 points. So disrespectful of the rookie, playing so damn well. Also, someone might want to tell Cherry that he’s not part of the Leafs organization… he let a “we” slip during Clown’s Corner.

Observation: now that Maxim Lapierre plays for the Canucks, the CBC announcers suddenly love him. He was despised and dirty in Montreal. Curious.

According to someone on HI/O, it has been more days since the Leafs last played a playoff game than the amount of time that World War II lasted. That cracks me up, though I’m too lazy to verify if it’s true.

Also, kudos to Tim Thomas for his record save percentage (even though he’s a Ruin) but - again totally plagiarizing here, because I’m not that witty - “The only reason his save percentage is so high is because he always has to stop his own rebounds”

Also also, I’m disappointed in every last one of you for failing to post about how funny the Reimer video from DGB was. It’s the funniest thing I’ve seen all week (which tells you something about what the last semester of Engineering is like…) “I want to eat my own ears”.

Hey, I’m a bigger Alouettes fan than you are, lol! But the Ottawa Rough Riders and the Montreal Alouettes have both drafted dead players, so I stand by my CFL draft ribaldry.

And yes, I hate the Penguins almost as much as I hate the Leafs and giving up coffee for Lent. If Crosby comes back this playoffs, someone’s gonna try and be the next Scott Stevens and end his career, so although I don’t give two craps about their team or players, I feel obliged to say that you should write off this season, but not in a taunting way.

And M., Subban is being a little pest. But it’s worked great for him so far. Cherry’s doing him a favour, IMHO, because as soon as his ego gets too big for his head, someone’s gonna try and hurt him. HARD.

I have no choice but to root for the Detroit Red Wings today. Ugh, makes me sick. But, if the Stars can slip into the playoffs on the last day of the season…

IF I am not mistaken Muckler was GM when Spezza was drafted; while frustrating, he’s had a pretty good career.

After that, yeah, a lot of disappointments. Brian Lee was a terrible letdown. Mezsaros was an okay player, I guess. Nick Foligno’s an okay player, but no star.

I don’t really see how that excuses Murray, though. So Muckler did poorly in the first round. Murray’s still been a terrible GM. John Muckler didn’t force Bryan Murray to sign Alexei Kovalev.

On one hand I like the idea of Dallas coming back from so far behind to get a playoff spot.

On the other, if they do, that means a team with 44 wins and 38 losses will be out of the playoffs while a team with 43 wins and 39 losses will be in, and that’s a disgrace to sport.