NHL: April 2011

Come to the dark side…
Modano says if the Wings make the Finals he’ll retire, he promises, so Go Wings! Plus, come on, our goalie’s named Jimmy. Everyone likes Jimmy!

Has there ever been a game in the Stanley Cup finals which didn’t sell out? I don’t think Phoenix is going all the way to the Finals, but if they did, I wonder if they’d sell out with a finals matchup against say, Tampa Bay?

I imagine enough locals would jump on the Coyotes bandwagon since the Suns aren’t in the NBA playoffs this year. Also, I’d think you’d have enough hockey fans that would travel just to see a Cup final regardless of the teams involved.

Still, it will suck for the Yotes to have 75% of the arena cheering for Detroit in their own building during a playoff run.

That’s a despicable attitude, and a horrible thing to continue to suggest. I swear, the morons who echo Cherry with this “doing Subban a favour” bullshit actually want to see the man get hurt, and that’s disgusting. Cherry is promoting the idea of taking runs at a talented player simply because Cherry is a retarded bigot who can’t appreciate anything not wrapped up in a Leafs or Bruins jersey. His hate-on for Montreal is so overwhelming, he actually wants to see players get injured.

Besides, the worst Subban has done is have fun and chirp on the ice, nothing more or less than anyone else does. He’s been polite and respectful of everyone, even the losers who seem intent on tossing not-so-veiled threats his way. He loves the game, he has fun with his team mates, and he can back up his attitude with the quality of his play. Nazem Kadri made arrogant, confident statements during training camp, and it was considered ok and “that’s the kind of confidence rookies should have”. What has Kadri done? I’m sure the Marlies love him, but he hasn’t exactly lit it up in Toronto.

There’s a double standard here. Why isn’t anyone calling out Brad Marchand, for example? A rookie who goes on the radio, on TV, taunting and insulting other teams and players, with arrogance and anger? Why was Subban’s OT win celebration such a horrible, disrespectful thing, but 20 seconds on YouTube will show you a ton of much more flamboyant goal celebrations in much less important games by all kinds of players, rookies and veterans alike?

If Subban played for any other team - especially Toronto - he’d be the league’s next superstar. But he plays for Montreal, so people seem to have decided that it’s ok to insult and threaten him. I don’t like it. And I like Don Cherry less for continuing to imply that it’s ok to deliberately hurt players just because he’s still butt-sore over the “too many men” penalty.

I barely follow hockey; generally I just catch a dozen playoff games a year and root for the Rangers if they’re non-terrible.

So today I take a look at the (almost) year-end standings. The #1 seed in the East, Washington, has 48 wins and a +27 Goal Differential, while the #8 seed Rangers have 44 wins and a +34 GD. I know it’s not *quite *that simple, but am I wrong for thinking that there just isn’t a whole hell of a lot separating these teams? What do the advanced metrics say (such as they are)?

Speaking as a Canadian, if tickets were to be that easily available, I’d fly down. We’ll fill the seats.

You’d have to look at it game by game but, really, you’re right. There isn’t a lot separating those teams; the Rangers are a much better team than their seeding suggests.

Subban has run a few goalies.

Really, though, he’s just chirpy, and hell, let’s be honest; it has little to do with his playing in Montreal. He gets most of the criticism because he’s black. Let’s not bullshit ourselves; behaviour in a black man is treated differently from the very same behaviour by a white man. If Subban was a white guy people would be talking about how he’s a throwback and old school and a great young player who gives 110%.

Brad Marchand, as you point out, is vastly more of an asshole than Subban but he doesn’t get shit on by the media. You might say it’s because he’s a Bruin, but trust me, it’s because he’s black. Switch teams and Subban would still get the shit Marchand isn’t getting. Switch races and the criticism would switch.

No more than anyone else does. Most teams have players constantly going after the goalies, there’s nothing unique there.

Probably a bit of both. Sad, isn’t it?

I’m not speaking for everyone who dislikes Subban. I actually like him, so I resent you calling me out like I’m a headhunting bigot. It’s an unspoken rule that rookie players aren’t supposed to run their mouths off. And is he harder on Subban because he’s a Hab and Cherry likes the Leafs and Bruins? Yeah, maybe. But it’s ignorant to cry racism. I don’t really want to have this argument, though, because I don’t want to defend Don Cherry; he’s obviously a loud mouth and obnoxious, but people are always attributing unfair crap to him to get their names in the paper, be it on race, headshots, or whatever. He’s a character, and a lot of the players he calls out take it in good stride.

What I SAID is that he has a great edge that has helped get under the skin of some really elite players. But there were instances even in this season where Hal Gill called him out for having an attitude problem. Most young players with a swagger learn to temper it, but we’ve seen enough cheap shot artists this year who laid out for players for no reason in particular. If you’re constantly running your mouth at the opposing team, you’re simply giving guys like that an incentive to go after you. His elite status has nothing to do with the matter, nor does his race.

Hal Gill didn’t “call him out”. From one of thefour reporters in the room when it actually happened:

The story was misheard by a francophone, misinterpreted and translated, then translated back into English for the story that ended up going national. In short, it didn’t happen, at least not the way most people think, because they were misinformed by a doubly-translated story.

If, as you say, it’s an unspoken rule that rookies aren’t supposed to run their mouths off, then please explain to me why no one has said a damn word about Brad Marchand? Why the double-standard?

Don Cherry is that old guy in your neighborhood always telling the kids to get off his lawn. Why does anyone give him attention anymore?
I don’t like Subban*’ all that much, but he’s not really on my radar. I reserve my total hatred for players like Ovechkin and Avery. If there was an award for “Biggest Douchebag in Hockey”, they’d tie for it. On AND off the ice.

*The worst egotistical thing I heard from him was the “WHEN we win the Cup”, and because I’m superstitious when it comes to sports, he pretty much jinxed himself. Sort of like when Hossa left Pittsburgh and said, “Because I have a better chance of winning the Cup in Detroit.” D’oh! :wink:

Re: the article, fair enough. I guess it was lost in translation, then. My bad!

As for Marchand, I read enough about him on the sources I follow on line. He’s a good player with a pest edge just like Subban. Same rules of respect should apply to him. No question. If you want to say that Cherry is a dirty homer who kisses ass to the B’s and Leafs, fine. I’d agree with you; I’ve seen it first hand in the battle of Ontario. I just don’t see it as a question of race, and that’s what bothers me. There’s plenty of really disturbing crap that happens with regards to blacks in pro hockey–Bananas thrown at Kevin Weekes at the Bell Centre, Bananas thrown at Anson Carter in Russia, LNAH teams playing Tarzan music when Donald Brashear fights, the New York Post putting a picture of BGL on the cover when the Rangers signed Brash back in what, '08?–that I think we’re too quick to play the race card on this one.

I don’t watch Coach’s corner religiously, but I never heard him talk shit about Ray Emery, or BGL. Cherry loved BGL. IIRC, he gave him props for wishing someone “good luck” before a fight back in Phoenix, and talked about him being a class act. If you want to say he’s being unfair to the Habs or Subban, ok. The CBC has its favorites. But please don’t make this about race, because I really think that’s unfair.
(Oh, and yes, I did see the DGB video, but being in a music department at University, I’ve been forced to endure Rebecca Black’s single about 800 times. So, I didn’t have the stomach for any parodies, even if they are clever. :p)

I’m sooooo happy the Sharks are getting the Kings. I was worried about the Ducks.

Now I’ve got to clean the house for the party…

Just to clarify my statements, I am not saying anything about Don Cherry in particular. He’s just one of a hundred people who’ve criticized PK Subban while blithely ignoring showboating and chirping by any number of other rookies. Perhaps Cherry doesn’t care that Subban is black, or perhaps it’s unconscious, I do not know.

In general, however, there is no doubt whatsoever, in my humble opinion, that Subban is targeted for more criticism primarily because he is black. I’ve been watching sports for too long, and seen the double standard for too long, to think this is just Coincidence #14,773.

Where does Cherry get his wacky clothes? They must be custom made.

He has a personal tailor who makes all his suits.

Hawks lost, so Stars have a chance. They’re up against a Minnesota team that has packed it in for the past month. Not sure if the Wild are going to play for pride to knock the Stars out of the playoffs or if they’re busy making golf plans for next week.

I appreciate how you frame it, even though I’d say “agree to disagree.” There’s no question the NHL still has race issues in it. And I’m sure that there’s enough people who hate a cocky black kid who’s making an impact in the NHL. But when I say, “hey, this guy should watch his mouth or get he’s gonna get his,” I take exception to being called a moron or a racist. That’s all - I don’t really wanna talk about this anymore.

More interesting for me is Peter DeBoer and Cory Clouston both getting unfairly fired. Because of course, Scotty Bowman would have gotten the Panthers to the playoffs…Jacques Lemaire orchestrates a spectacular turn of fortunes in New Jersey, and suddenly every team that’s crap on paper, that’s the fault of the coach? Nonsense.

That’s just what it looked like last year when the Wings beat the Coyotes in 7 games.

Ugh, Minnesota came to play. These guys are looking like they want a job next year. Minn 4 Dallas 3 in the 3rd.