[QUOTE=Terrifel]
Is it really useful to cite the movies when considering comparisons of this nature? According to the film trilogy, an elf can easily beat a dwarf in a drinking contest, and that’s got to be all kinds of wrong.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I’m the Doper on record as despising the movies (at least the third one, and its two predecessors are tainted by association), but I’d still say so; this is an entirely hypothetical discussion, after all. 'Sides, the OP didn’t specify book only.
Peter Jackson’s World o’ Fantasy still blows chunks. Just for the record. I don’t want anybody thinking I’ve been replaced by Pod!Skald.
[QUOTE=Skald the Rhymer]
I don’t think it would be pretense; it would be a translation problem and quite possibly an insurmountable viewpoint problem. When Legolas used his superior vision to see over distances impossible for humans (because he could see as if the Earth were flat), he didn’t call it magic, nor think of it that way; likewise when he ran over snowdrifts that could not, by human standards. support his weight. He was doing things that came utterly natural to him because his perception of the world differed.
[/QUOTE]
Oh, I agree. I was being facetious before.
A related question, who would win an arm-wrestling contest, Maedhros or Beren? Maedhros had longer to get used to being sans hand but Beren was way luckier.
[QUOTE=Arien]
Oh, I agree. I was being facetious before.
A related question, who would win an arm-wrestling contest, Maedhros or Beren? Maedhros had longer to get used to being sans hand but Beren was way luckier.
[/QUOTE]
As much as I respect Beren’s credentials, I’d have to give it to Maedhros, just because he was a Calaquendi born in the blessed Realm, raised by the light of the two trees, whose dad was the most powerful Child of Iluvatar ever.
[QUOTE=Qadgop the Mercotan]
As much as I respect Beren’s credentials, I’d have to give it to Maedhros, just because he was a Calaquendi born in the blessed Realm, raised by the light of the two trees, whose dad was the most powerful Child of Iluvatar ever.
Unless that damn Oath of Fëanor kicks in.
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Terrifel]
But what if a Numenorean Lady, an Elf-Maid of Lorien, and a shieldmaiden of Rohan were to wrestle? Who wins then?
[/QUOTE]
The shieldmaiden. Being from a later and therefore less “noble” people, as well as an actual fighter, she’d cheat.
Shieldmaiden : “Ready for the wrestling match ?”
Numenorean Lady : “Yes”
Elf-Maid of Lorien : “Yes”
Shieldmaiden : “Good.” < pulls sword >
< HACK > < SLASH > < CHOP >
Shieldmaiden : “Wrestling.” < Rolls eyes >