October surprise 2008

Well, there goes the neighborhood.

On what planet?

Or your drunken uncle at Christmas when you were in high school/college who keeps asking you if you have a girlfriend(s). (Which, of course, you don’t, because if you did, you’d be spending it with her family and not yours. You can’t say this to your uncle, however, as if you do, this will be met with the, “Whatsamatter? You queer or something? Ehh? Ehhhh?” questions.)

Its been rumored for some time that Bush has declared he wants to get Bin Laden before he leaves office and that he’s ordered the military to do whatever it takes to accomplish this. The increased attacks in Pakistan seem to validate this, so perhaps the “October Surprise” will turn out to be a war with Pakistan instead of Iran.

Unless the Republicans can come up with a document that shows Obama’s signature on a CPUSA statement of support for Joseph Stalin, I doubt there’s anything new.

The Ayers/Rezko/Wright stuff has been dealt with already - during the primaries - and I doubt that there will be any more of a reaction to that than a collective national yawn.

In fairness, any presidential candidate should always have someone at the ready to break into Daniel Ellsberg’s office.

There were similar rumors in 2004, and I’d bet there will be similar rumors in 2012, regardless of who wins this time around.

Frequently, but not exclusively. Reagan’s purported deal making with the theocratic regime of Iran to postpone the release of the embassy hostages until after the election was generally called an “October Surprise.”

Yea, I never understood why this was called “the October Surprise”, when it was about hostages being released in January

I read on a blog that they predicted the “October surprise” would be McCain suggesting he and Palin switch positions on the ticket.

It was called that (following Jack Anderson’s lurid and imaginary claim that Carter intended to stage an “October Surprise” by invading Iran) because, in retrospect, the deal was supposed to have been negotiated in September or October to prevent Carter from benefitting from Iran’s alleged plan to release the hostages in October. (It was not even called “Octoner Surprise” until months later when the anti-Reagan claims were first published.)

Respectfully, you should read better blogs! :stuck_out_tongue:

That means she’ll be on top. :eek::smiley:

Thus proving to the world that McCain can only fuck up! :rimshot:

But how much were people paying attention then? Might they be more receptive to such attacks now that he’s the solid nominee and it’s a month to the election? How hard was it pushed then, compared to how hard they’re likely to push it (because they need any boost badly) now?

It’s hard to say, because obviously the conservative sources will trumpet Rezko’s talking, wondering what “unrepentant terrorist” Ayers saw in Obama that was so likable, and repeating Wright ad infinitum, while the liberal sources will decry all of that as mudslinging. It doesn’t really tell me much about the reactions (expected and actual) of the people who aren’t in one choir or the other.

I sure noticed it. I thought Hillary pushed it pretty hard.

I suppose it’s possible that it will be new to independents who were not interested in the primaries, but plan to vote in the general election. I can’t say how much affect it will have, but I really do doubt that it will be much. shrug Could be wrong.

Eh, Obama’s campaign by this point has a well-oiled machine at dealing with such things. I remember hearing a piece about how because the primary fight went on for so long that his campaign didn’t have to “restart” their operations in many key states, since they were still in place.

Right. Plus, it’s not like they’ll be surprised by Ayers or Rezko (or at least, they damn well shouldn’t be). And Obama doesn’t even have to be as nice to McCain as he was to Clinton.

Any “October Surprise” against Obama will come from the Clinton camp. Count on it. I’m thinking it will have to do with Rezko, who is currently talking to the feds.

It used to be only hippies who stated profound thoughts while on acid.

Why would Rezko tell the Clinton camp what he is saying to the Feds? Wouldn’t the sensible thing to do be to tell the McCain camp? After all, Clinton can’t be in a position to pardon him for at least four years, while if his information defeats Obama McCain could pardon him on January 21st.

Not if she wants to have any political future, she won’t. (Assuming she knows something, that is.) Lets say that Hillary has video of the Obama’s concieving their first child under the watchful eye of Bin Laden, if she leaks it to the media, no matter how careful she is about it, people will be able to track it back to her. The Democratic base won’t care what was in the video, they will care that Hillary was the one who let it get out and thus ruined the party’s chances this time around. Those people will then do everything they can to push her out of politics.

Hillary softballed Obama during the primary season (yes, she did, the Clintons know dirty politics as well as Rove does, and could have slandered Obama like nobody’s business, but it would have been a pyrric victory to say the least), so I can’t see her pulling out all the stops now, when it wouldn’t do her any good at putting her in the White House.