OK, so what have I missed?

So some of you may remember me from back when I was a prolific poster who could also see. The second is no longer true (if you want to be picky, I am only LEGALLY blind, but you still don’t want me anywhere near the wheel of a car), but I have decided to start posting again a little anyway. I missed some of you guys.

So what has been happening during my absence, Which probably began in May or June 2016 ? Anybody die? Get married? Go to prison? Escaped from prison? How much rage was there over the horrible events of November 2016? And so forth. Rhymers want to know.

Welcome back! I saw your post about Tolkien and flat earth just now, and I said, “what? Skald???”

Definitely missed you.

Hey, welcome back! And glad you can still see well enough to drive a computer. :slight_smile:

As you can see, the board is still here, life goes on despite the best efforts of Cheeto Benito and his band of looters. Most of us are still here, nobody’s been hauled away by ICE as far as I can tell.

Skald! Welcome Back, so glad to see you here!

You’ve been missed.

Obviously, you still have enough vision to post here. So do I. It’s not so bad. In my case, I had a long time to gradually to learn to live with it. I have a field of view the size of a poker chip (and getting smaller) at arms length, and can do OK outdoors with a white cane. Well enough that I traveled alone and independent to six continents in the past four years, and married an amazing women in the Philippines. And did not die, which covers the main points.

People are great, strangers are always ready and willing to help you get around, so as long as you have enough vision to keep your bearings, you’ll be OK.

Welcome back!

He can hear you. He’s not hearing impaired.

Doesn’t matter. The Official Rules say you must talk slowly and loudly to anyone with any noticeable handicap. And if you’re an English-speaking American, you must do the same, in English, to anyone who doesn’t speak your language.

What happened? Trump. Trump. Trump Trump.

And a dire shortage of raspberry cheesecake recipes. Here is one from Ina Garten on the Food Network:

Crust
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (10 crackers)
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Filling
2 1/2 pounds cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 whole extra-large eggs, at room temperature
2 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
1/4 cup sour cream *
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Topping
1 cup red jelly (not jam), raspberry
3 half-pints fresh raspberries

Combine crust ingredients and pack in a pie pan. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 8 minutes.

Raise oven to 450 degrees.

… continue with instructions at linked site

• I prefer to use crème fraiche. Gives a nice tangy zing to the filling.

Welcome back Skald! The rage and sadness about Trump is ongoing and overflowing from every forum in which it’s allowed to be discussed. As is the Trump cheerleading from a few very obnoxious posters and trolls.

Skald, were you able to enjoy Black Panther? If so, what did you think? If not, I’m very sorry, but I hope you got some of the sense of it from friends/family who saw it.

It is more that I can use VoiceOver & JAWS (job access with speech; don’t you love acronyms ) well enough to use the computer, not that I can see well enough.

Some people are good, some bad. It is entirely possible that I will throttle the next person who tries to “help” me by taking my hand or arm without permission. And I did end up telling some asshole to go fuck himself yesterday when he opined that I am clearly faking my visual impairment as I can make my way down the street using the white stick without further assistance.

Nah, we’ve been waiting until you got back for anything to happen.

A surprising number of very familiar posters have passed away while you were gone.

anyrose
Fluiddruid
Zoe
Frank
Chacoguy

The thread that contains the sad list.

Welcome back!

You’ve missed a few crazies - a quick check of the Pit should catch you up :wink:

A lot of Doper spouses and parents have passed, too. Broomstick’s spouse, runner pat’s, dropzone’s… Baker’s dad, just this week ThelmaLou’s mom. Some new cancer diagnoses too. Ugh.

I think some people maybe got married, and some had kids, but usually then they stop posting for a while! :smiley:

I’m on city council! Wa-hey!

I died.

But I got better.

I have to say there has been a definite shortage of amusing hypotheticals in your absence. Glad to see you’re back.

I just came back after 7 years away… so there’s that.

(And while I was away, I had two pretty awesome kids, went back to college, got another bachelor’s degree and am now working as a technical writer.)

Sorry, I can’t answer the question in your OP, but I just want to say that I’m glad you’re back.

We’ve never interacted and I’m not a prolific poster, but as a top- level lurker, I’ve been reading your posts for many a year. I missed you.