(Old) Everybody's hiding under a rock in the MMP

Can’t say I blame y’all. The news is terrifying; for some of us, spring has sprung and it’s finally “goin’ outside” weather; a lot of us are dealing with personal and family health issues.

No wonder it’s almost 7 a.m. and I’m almost done with my bio-break and kinda ready to wind back down, and yet nobody’s chattering over their morning coffee here.

Huh. { looks around } Where’d everybody go?

I’m here! :waves furiously:

Maybe where you are, but it’s 29 Ferrets this morning in my back yard - That ain’t spring or goin’-outside weather either! BRRRRRRR!!

I wasn’t hiding under a rock, but I did lie abed till after 6, then there were critters to tend to, a pellet stove to refill, and a diet coke to pour!! So now it’s time to enjoy my quiet moments before the day starts.

One thing I didn’t mention about my time with Tobias yesterday - that boy has turned into a chatterbox!! I’m pretty sure he’s forming complete sentences, but it’s not all intelligible as yet. However, I can usually take the words I do understand and get the context. Have I mentioned in the last 10 minutes that I love his preschool?!? His progress since the first of the year is amazing!

Speaking of grands, Roxy is on spring break this week. Daughter has planned all sorts of activities with her, some of which involve me. I was hoping we could get my veggie patch planted, but that ain’t gonna happen this week - too much rain in the forecast and I still need to get some topsoil. So that will be delayed a bit.

If the rain doesn’t spoil things, we’re to get our gutters cleaned this week, as well as having the septic tank pumped. So I’ve got that going for me. (Sorry, I don’t mean to rub your collective noses in my exciting lifestyle…)

But now the last week of March begins. Happy Moanday!!

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 51 Amurrkin out and cloudy with a predicted high of 73 and partly N.O.S. for the day. Haven’t been under a rock, but didn’t wake up until a few minutes ago. I need to head over to the church house this mornin’ to take both candelabra apart (well, take the candle holders and the drip plates off) so stuff can get all cleanded up and shined up. That is not the monumental task it sounds like, but I didn’t do it yestiddy so today I must. Then, maybe some yahd irk this afternoon. Or not. We shall see how motivated I still am. It may be tough to get sloth time in today. OYKW has a gnawin’ and a cravin’ for Cook Out, so we shall get burgers 'n fries from there for sup.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day! Rah.

Happy Moanday Y’all!

Well, 2 feet of snow last night. That makes about 8 feet for the month. :sigh: It’s pretty typical for March. April is another heavy snow month.

This is a really rough time of year. We’ve run of places to put the snow. My wife is thinking about going skiing, but I need to plow first. I work from home so that’s doable, but I rather wait until it’s light out.

Where I am is apparently “wait five minutes,” since the Oracles predict highs in the 60s (!!) then rain, then - oh, don’t worry - lows around freezing again.

ETA: I love that for Tobias. Genuinely, what a bright, good thing happening there!

I gotta do laundry, but tops on that particular agenda item are my bathrobe - which I’m currently wearing - and my blanket, which I hope to rejoin shortly.

So imma sip my Earl Grey and put that off without guilt.
Just gotta remember to do that later!

Monkey was being a butthead in the middle of the night - kept waking me up, shoving his foot into me; it was like sleeping with a damn toddler - until I (gently) nudged him off the bed.
He’s got other places to sleep.

Anyway, this morning when I re-awoke - after dreaming I was layering fried mozzarella sticks into a pizza pan, and now I’m wondering if that’d actually be a good idea - the fuzzbutt very politely waited approx .03 seconds after hearing me reach for my bedside water bottle, before { thump! } { patter patter patter } “Mewl?” and in a much more mannerly way re-joining me for morning snuggles.

Where I am, snow is not typical for March, but that didn’t stop it from snowing on Saturday.

So much for weeding the garden and prepping for vegetable planting in a couple of weeks.

The MSP storm pretty much blew itself out overnight, although it’s still spitting a bit. There are probably six inches on the ground, but the main roads are already clean and wet, so no real slowdown there, and the temps are rising. By this afternoon it will be raining. Other parts of the state got whacked pretty hard and there are lots of school closures and delays.

I’m about to get in my car and drive 120 miles round trip to Omaha to get umpty-nine botox shots in my jaw to reduce tooth-grinding and jaw clenching. Hopefully that’ll gradually, over a few days, also get rid of the naggy little headache I’ve had for 10 days.

It’s gray, overcast and rainy here, so not the most fun or relaxed driving weather, but at least I like the dr and his dental surgery clinic is not only efficient but the staff are all pleasant.

BBBoo - the only good thing about driving in the rain is no sun in your eyes. Be safe!

Shoe, I was up about 7am, but have to take care of the morning micturition, do my spider solitare and check and answer e-mails regarding soccer, so slow in getting here.

Morning all. It’s fairly nice outside today, weather is supposed to get into the 60’sF but rain is due tonight. My first soccer practice of the spring is tonight, so need to get the other stuff done today before 5pm. Still working with parents to get their kids placed where they want them, some we can and some we can’t. When you have 93 kids on 10 teams, it gets complicated… Almost forget, need to call and get someone out to look at the dishwasher.

All those with wintry weather, I hope this is the last gasp and springtime can begin to break out.

BBBoo, hope the shots go well and do what they are supposed to.

FCM, glad the school is doing well by Toby; being around kids his age for the better part of a day really helps, IMHO.

I’m here—sort of. I got slammed with Covid—how, I don’t know, as I’m very cautious and fully vaxxed. Today is Day 4 of The Great Misery. I can only assume that if I’d been foolish and hadn’t been vaccinated, I’d be headed for a ventilator.

My daughter came for the weekend, and despite my Covid, we had a wonderful time. (I didn’t test right away, as I thought I had a severe sinus infection and maybe bronchitis.) She’s fully vaccinated and had Covid a year ago, plus I masked up. She made sure I drank lots of fluids, got me OTC meds at the pharmacy, and made me swear I’d do nothing but rest after she left.

It occurs to me that I must have seemed awfully egocentric last week. To say there was bad news about someone and then to say I was struggling really comes off as pretty selfish. The fact is, the other person has had a long time to process it and isn’t upset any more. Also, it does directly affect me. If only I hadn’t agreed not to tell anyone! I’m sure my daughter would have been a big help in that regard, too. I’m doing somewhat better.

Boo, safe travels.

FCM, so nice to get an update on the grands!

shoe, I hope you get some outdoor time before the sun goes incognito.

MetalMouse, good luck with the soccer! Sounds like you could use a Sorting Hat.

Its to be 60 today, the only good weather day so I am off to grocery, library.
I am scheduled for 2 days this week. Is there a memo that says employers can only give me 2 days?
Am over the job, so last week I went somewhere closer and they want me. After I fill out paperwork and these 2 days, I will be in a better place.
Still not sure I’m getting paid fully this week, the job is cursed fr.
Been sneezing all over lately, hoping its just a cold.

It’s very windy in L.A. but I don’t care cuz I’m going home! Went out yesterday afternoon with my niece and her guy friend (he wants to marry her but she doesn’t feel the same way). Had drinks at the FloraBama, the more drinks and food at the Sloop. A splendid time was had by all.

BBBoo I’m curious to hear if the Botox works for teeth grinding.

Today is my uncle’s funeral. Google Maps says if I leave now, it’s a two and half hour drive. Of course, there’s the morning rush hour(s). The funeral starts at 1430, so I’ll plan on leaving at 1130 for the 130-mile drive. I’m guessing traffic will be less then. It will be the first time I’ll wear my new black (and only) suit. I hope nobody minds cat hair.

FCD and I had simultaneous brainstorms and now his motorcycle ramp is installed between the kitchen and garage so we can wheel MIL’s wheelchair down. Why did it take us this long to remember we had that thing??

I’m going to take MIL to Aldi just so she can get out of the house. Plus I need stuff there, so we’ll have an outing. Shortly. Back eventually.

Mornin’ all. It’s the crack of 10am here as I start driveling. I slept in until 7, then been readin’, caffinatin’, and yakkin’ w roomie. Now it’s finally time to join yaks w y’all. Sunrise sitting outside by the pool was pretty: mostly cloudy which abruptly broke up into scattered orange-tinted puffy clouds amongst the brightening blue. Temps holding steady at around 73/23 and might hit 79/26 later. The sun is warm but the breeze has that cool feel that suggests we won’t hit that high. The puffy clouds remain, slowly marching inland to die.

From last week w y’all:

Wow. 2x/week here. Which is silly for our one- or barely two-bachelor household. Although many neighbors’ roller bins are overflowing despite being emptied every 3 or 4 days.

Good thing they got that right. :slight_smile: Seriously, good luck on the somber occasion.

My late wife and I were similar. One of the few areas where we weren’t identically inclined. It was never a problem, but it was always a disconnect.

Hooray for that. For you, for MIL, and for Tobias. But especially for you & FCD.

For sliced bread, it’s easy enough to defrost a slice or two in the toaster. Use several short warms with a rest between instead of one long toast. I’ve had to do that many times over the years.

Reinforcement works. Whether we notice what we’re reinforcing or not, they will. And they’ll react accordingly. Glad that’s working well for you, even if a bit late to the party.

I’m not sure what exactly I reinforced with HL, but I know what she reinforced with me. And she eventually got exactly what she reinforced: total indifference.

And yeah, the hilly rainy part of America is incredibly pretty during local springtime. The flat parts or the dry parts, not so much. Such as FL and AZ respectively.

Back in St. Louis there was a girl I knew like that. She always said 'I’m a meatatarian." She liked it well enough to work herself up to about 5’3" and 350 lbs before I moved away and lost touch. I’m told by mutual friends still there that she didn’t stop at 350 and can barely move her bulk now. She’s about 60. Poor thing.

From this morning w y’all:

And not a moment too soon IMO.

Yaay! When a precocious kid meets the right nurturing environment it’s incredible what can happen so quickly.

This sentence confused me for a bit until I realised “cook out” was the name of a burger chain. So I looked them up: COOK OUT – Fresh Burgers. Looks pretty darn yummy. The closest one to me is a 400 mile drive, so it’ll be awhile before I sample their wares. But on my next trip through their area, a stop is guaranteed. Thanks for the tip.

If’n they’re cookin’ for you today, that oughta offer y’all a bit of slothage time.

This.

The absence of pain afterwards is a nice bonus. Can you stop anywhere in Omaha or along the way for a special treat, be that food or entertainment?

Nellie: Ouch for COVID. Hope it resolves readily with no aftereffects.

You’re not selfish; you’re generous to everyone with everything. Getting roped into family (or close friend) drama is never easy, and if it’s a big secret that doubly sucks.

One of my policies is if [whatever] is supposed to be a secret, then they need to keep it a secret from me. I’m not going to act as someone’s supportive sounding board while being deprived of having a supportive sounding board myself. As you’ve just seen happen with the secret-demander, yourself, and your daughter.

Further, “secret” almost always turns into me having to lie for the secret-demander to some third party whose trust and respect I still want or need. Secret is just nasty business all around, and tends to be a tar baby.

Glad you’re moving on. Cursed jobs don’t usually get better.

Yaay! Remember: “Never again”.

I hope your cat is black. Good luck w traffic. I hope the reunion aspects of the funeral are as good as they usually are for me.

It’s a sadness that we need events like these to pull us out of our ruts and get us to see extended family and old friends. But that seems to be the way for so many folks. Certainly for me.

As to me …

Yesterday was good. Connected with my pilot pal and his GF for the water taxi. We were out from 1pm to 8pm, riding around and getting off here and there to walk, eat to excess, drink but moderately, and yak yak yak. The tourist patter on the boat gets old after awhile, but neither he nor his GF have heard it before. And I got to take them to some fun areas neither had ever been. Weather was generally plenty sunny warm enough, but it clouded up late afternoon and rained spottily for a few minutes; just enough to get everything a bit wet and cool the air.

By the end we were all exhausted and I was a bit chilled through. A bowl of indifferent clam chowder at a nearby bar & grill on the way home helped a lot. Then promptly to bed and 9+ hours’ sleep.

A touch of sadness intrudes. This guy is one of my top two longtime friends on Earth. And it’s been great for me for the last year-ish to have him based in MIA and living not very far away. He’s now accepted a transfer back to DFW and will be moving back there permanently no later than September. His long-time GF who is anchored in DFW is ecstatic. This is the couple where she’s been making “I wanna get married” noises for a year-plus and he’s been firmly in the “no way no how not never” camp after the slow-motion disaster of his first 25 year marriage. I see an irresistible force about to overrun a not-quite-immovable object. Net, she’d probably be good for him and is certainly a good fit. But him having any lingering feelings of coercion or missed alternatives will be highly corrosive if it comes to that. Which it may well.

No great plans for today. Roomie now wants to get breakfast, and it being nearly 11 that’s probably a good idea. So I’m off to quickly shevel then feed.

Cheers all!!

Well I was still at work at 0700. There was no snow in Raleigh for the first time since records were kept, but we had a Freeze Warning this A.M. But I’ve had my bowl of dry flavorless bits, so it’s off to bed!

Yeah, I’d move on, too Coppertone.

Morning, mumpers! It’s a balmy 12c/57f with a predicted high of 17c/63f and rain showers. Weather app says “True story, mammatus clouds look like fucking boobs.”

Yesterday we zoomed around on public transport to spend a couple of hours at the zoo, then came back and got off the bus a few stops before we needed to, had a wander round, then got the metro close to where 'im indoors thought we’d been the day before.

His directions are not good! When we arrived here, he sent us on the wrong train line (blue instead of red) so we got off at what he thought was the right stop as each line has one with the same name. It was completely wrong, so I got us an Uber for the 10-minute drive to where we should have been. Turned out there are two hotels here, same chain and same name but two different parts of town. Every time he’s told me it’s a short walk somewhere, it isn’t because he’s based it on the other location.

Fortunately I get free roaming here (he doesn’t on his phone contract) so I can do the directing out there!

Woman, do I hafta smack you? There’s nothing about ^^ that makes you selfish (it’s the other person, who went “imma tell you a seeeeecret, but now you hafta carry it around & not tell anyone, tee-hee!” who was being selfish) and do we hafta remind you again that you are a kind, generous soul?

Closer is (usually) better!

I’d find it endearing.

Pfft. Slacker. You got sumpin’ else to do?

I started a load o’laundry so I’d feel productive while sitting around with y’all. Monkey had a serious case of the zoomies so he’s been kicked out allowed to leave his prison for some exercise in the yard. (Don’t worry, he just jogged back in to sniff my knee briefly, e.g. check on me, before trotting back out.)

Next plan is to put on a bra and retrieve the biiiiiig bin. Hey, I don’t wanna be that neighbor! Again.

Then, since SOMEone here put “spiral ham” into my brain, and because sometime in the middle of last night I decided, “Alright THAT’S IT imma get a new damn pillow!” I shall bestir my non-braless self out to the Gettin’ Sto’ and see what I can find.

Oh, and last - but certainly not least - I need to call my mother, and find out if this whole “fly me out to visit” idea I agreed to in a pot-clouded haze is really happening, and if so, when …