(Old) Everybody's hiding under a rock in the MMP

I woke up shortly after 1am, went to relieve self then downstairs to drink some water. When I got back in bed, couldn’t fall asleep so went on mini Ipad until about 4:30ish. Fell asleep and woke up at 8:15. Sheveled, tried to start heating water for tea but Hubs ambled downstairs ready to go for blood draw so I turned off the water and into the car we went. I dropped him off, drove to Post Office to mail a payment to the hospital then went to my parents’ former parish and set up memorial masses for them for this year on the day that each was born to eternal life. Speaking of which:

Both Mom & Dad were 89 so I’d be happy to make it to 90.

Supposed to be in high 50’s this afternoon so I’m planning to take Bella for a walk in the woods.

The Spartans, both men and women, have put their dancing shoes away until next year. I see that doggio’s wolfpack is still dancing as is FCM’s boilers. Not sure if she knows that Purdue is a number 1 seed and has been on a tear through March Madness so far. They beat Utah St 106-67 yesterday.

And thus, the eternal cycle continues.

0030 for me, then awake again at 0230. May or may not have drifted off a couple of times. Got up at six when the coffee was done.

I am happy, my new friend at church has invited me to Easter dinner, she has a little boy and hes adorable.
I recall my parents making me go to church when little, having to wear a dress, which I dislike, and a little hat.
I seem to remember very warm Easters, way back when. Weather has changed.
I personally, don’t want to live to 90; every year is another away from my son. I just want to go quickly, not suffer. I joke it should be a piano falling on me, I would be on the news!
Going outside because its warm and that makes me happy.

I find your theories about spiral sliced pillows for Easter dinner and hams as bed accouterments to be fascinating and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

It ain’t happening if you decide now in a sober state that it ain’t happening. Years ago Ernest Hemingway famously said

Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. It’ll teach you to keep your mouth shut.

He was right. But a) he’d dead, so can be safely ignored, b) he was a macho idiot prone to bragging about stuff he never really did, and c) while you’re still learning his lesson, sober take-backs of plans made while wasted are OK.

So “Sorry Mom, I was wasted when I tried to be nice to you. It won’t happen again.” is a fine response. She’ll think you mean you won’t be wasted again, but you know you mean you won’t waste any more of your life trying to be nice to her again. Win win.

Yaay! Me too. For both of us.

As to me …

A fine if simple Rueben was had at an open air deli near here. The place wasn’t too mobbed by Noo Yaaarrrrkkah’s. Now I’m home, kibitzing w y’all while tummy settles and am about to set off on errands after another glass of water. It’s warm, but now quite windy, such that the beach would be a) cool, and b) sand-blasty. Ugh.

Hugs

Soon I am off to play chauffeur. First I will be taking MusicMan to work so that I will have the car to take my mom to an eye doctor appointment. Once that is complete I surmise that it will be Mconald’s for a late lunch and then (hopefully) a nap! Although I did start making a guitar player out of some fork and I’m kind of tempted to solder it all together before my nap and while MusicMan is out so that the fumes don’t bother him.

I did officially start plugging the tax stuff into the HR Block website and it’s not going well. I literally had to stop and take some time to breathe. I have a feeling that there was something that I missed, but I’m not quite sure how to get to it.

Ok, see y’all later!

Sorry, I was asleep. :slight_smile:

Oh, right, Easter is this coming Sunday. We have no invites, so we’ll likely just sob softly into our pillows. The wife will make babka, which, since we replaced our old bent 2-piece bundt pan, won’t turn into “blobka” like last year. She also makes a butter lamb with an old mold she found in a second-hand store. We have some lamb chops in the fridge, so I’ll broil a few of those, and perhaps make some saffron rice to go with.

Did exercise this morning, then went down and washed the car. There was some sort of reddish dust coating it. Maybe from the exhaust and other dust particles in the garage?

Not only didn’t know, but don’t care. In fact, even when I was there, I didn’t care. I’m not all that into sports, tho I do pay attention to a couple of pro teams. Other than that - meh.

What about little white gloves? And white ankle socks with lace around the top? That was Easter finery in my day! OK, no gloves in this pic, circa 1959 or 60.
Imgur

Pilot - are spring-breakers an issue around you? I vaguely recall hearing something on the news about them not being welcome in Miami…?

We were invited to my niece’s for Easter but we won’t be going. It’s too far a ride for MIL and too noisy a crowd. My family is, um, boisterous, occasionally bordering on obnoxious. Daughter and SIL will take the grands there so they can hang with their cousins. We shall have a quiet day at home.

MIL enjoyed her outing to Aldi. I hung one bag on the handles of her wheelchair, wherein I loaded most groceries. She held the eggs and bottle of grape juice on her lap. It worked out well. And she’d bought a super-light wheelchair years ago for FIL - I swear, it doesn’t weigh 15#, so getting it in and out of the trunk is a piece of cake. And the ramp is also great - moving her from car to house is so easy now. Yay!

However, Higgs is afraid of the ramp. Idiot dog.

That’s lovely! How wonderful that you’re finding a community there.

Ha. HA!!
“Fine response,” he says.

This is the woman who gave my ex step-by-step instructions on how to have me involuntarily committed. Which he thankfully never did, and he showed me what she was up to, but she absolutely expected him to do so.

Rational conversation and/or non-dysfunctional boundaries are … I don’t wanna say rare, but they’re, ah, we’ll say intermittent.

Okay, and also as rare as I like my steak.

Oh, you sweet summer child.

Besides, I’ve already consoled myself with:

• I’m soooooooooo gonna get her to cook all my childhood favorites. I don’t care if kopytka are labor-intensive. Hop to, woman!

• She got jealous that a friend has been making me kerchiefs (she loathes that I wear them, always has - she associates them with “babushka” e.g. rural poor old Polish women) but, well, can’t have one of my friends showing her up, now can we, so she’s already sent pics of fabric and sizing/tie styles.

• My dad has been seeing a physical therapist for, among other things, back problems, and since I ain’t ezzactly gettin’ any younger, it occurred to me that I could ask him to show me some of his moves like Jagger exercises.
    It’ll get him movin’ (something I’ve heard from my mom for years is an ongoing problem) and he can be in charge of something, and someone, again … something the man does truly enjoy.

Heh.

It’s usually yellow this time of year (tree sex) so perhaps the trees in your area are dialing it up a notch or three?

I went to U.T. Austin for six years and never once attended a single football game.

I shoulda gotten some sort of anti-trophy for that feat. Do you people realize what football means in Texas?

But through long training, I will - automatically - make the “hook 'em” sign. \ ^^/

i love mum’s(?) hat! sooooo wonderful.

your dresses are really cute. are those tulips? what a handsome little man.

I left out the last part of my proposed response. Which was [CLICK]. Followed by never dealing with her in any way again. I know this is a difficult topic for you, but seriously all I hear is she causing you pain. Pain you can opt out of by refusing to communicate with her at all.

That won’t undo the horrors of the past, but it will keep her from heaping fresh horrors on your pile. And as with deceased people, over time the less you think about them, the less often you’re triggered to think about them. Once you’ve written Mom out of your life, that decay curve starts. And sooner rather than later you’ll realize it’s been 2 years since she entered your mind unbidden. And that will be a happy day for you.

Easy to say, much harder to do. Major {{{hugs}}} for all you’ve been though.

Not immediately in my zip code. We’re not real tourist centric.

The Greater Miami metroblob consists of 3 counties and has about 125 miles of beachfront. There are a number of 1 or 2 mile long tourist Meccas along there. Which each have varying degrees of friendliness towards crowds of college age binge drinkers.

The town of Miami Beach specifically had some real crises in the last couple of years with drunken rioting, insane amounts of trash and vandalism, gang violence, and all the rest. So they are pushing back very hard, intending to spoil the party before it starts.

Here is a live video feed from one of the places we had lunch and drinks and walks yesterday: Live Beach Cam Hollywood Beach Broadwalk, Florida (youtube.com).

This is a very touristy area, but not one of the flash mob “be there or be square” destinations for the college crowd. If you watch for a couple minutes, the view switches between four different cameras. That area is almost 2 miles long, but the heavily restaurant-ed area is the 3/4ths mile in the middle nearest the cameras; further along is mostly beachfront small hotels and rent-by-week condos, but with the occasional eatery/drinkery salted in or a block or two back from the beach.

Obviously what you see depends on what time of day and day of week you click, but right now at 3:30pm on Monday the place is decently crowded with tourists and locals. Yesterday, Sunday, at about the same time was maybe 10% busier, but the same audience.

So lotta folks having fun, lotta little kids and grandparents, nobody being an asshat. But the police were there in good number, sporting their bulging muscles & myriad tatts while riding their bikes in their skimpy nylon shorts & muscle shirts.

I’M HUNGRY

My mom is at her eye doctor appointment and has been in there for over an hour. She sent me a text 2 minutes ago saying that they had just now dilated her pupils.

The good news is that the lawyer called and was much more cordial than at our first meeting. Basically I have all the information that I need to make a decision and I can discuss it with MusicMan and decide what I need to do.

They are tulips - mine were pink, my sister’s were blue (she’s the smaller one) and yes, that’s my mom. My brother outgrew his cute long ago - he’s much more geezer-like at 67… :rofl:

I don’t know why I’m so tired - I’ve hardly done anything today. Must be getting old.

Slow motion doc appointments are the worst. Lots of hurry up and wait. Sorry you two are suffering through that.

Howdy Y’all! The candle thing was relatively easy to figure out. Turns out the candle holders unscrew pretty easily and the drip holders are easy to take off. Now if only it all goes back together as easy. Guess I’ll find out Thursday mornin’ when I put new wicks in all the candles and put it all back together. The Sacristy is right crowded with all the can’t have out durin’ Lent/Holy Week stuff shoved in there. Yahd irk was not accomplished. Maybe tomorrow before the mid-afternoon rain sets in. Or not. Cook Out did indeed make sup for us. Now 'tis chill time.

Nellie* sorry you had the plague but glad you’re on the mend.

Pilot Cook Out is good, but it ain’t all that. Better than other fast food burgers for sure. red gets her stoner specials from Cook Out sometimes, AIR.

MOOOOOOM the ramp is sure to make that easier. BTW lovin’ the gangsta hat on your bro in that Easter pic.

Copper Tone yay for the Easter invite. Hope the new closer irk place works out for ya.

shoe sorry for bein’ the evil spiral ham mentioner. I do love me a good spiral ham, however.

I feel a swoon comin’ on!

You get partial credit:

So I knew it was Palm Sunday from our lovely swampy but needed a lil’ help putting the rest together.

Never fear, a tiny (eleven dollar!!) itsy bitsy (just over 2 lb!) ham resides safely in my fridge.

And now, this:

I normally am not, ah, the greatest of friends with LEO.

I would, in this case, make great exception and keep a watchful eye on the proceedings from a safe distance.

Mrs Bob bought a lightweight electric wheelchair, especially so we could travel by air. It weighs 28 kg (around 60 lbs) so we could lift it in and out of the car between us. Recently that became harder, so we now have a hydraulic crane in the back of the car to lift it in and out.

Sadly, flying is now too difficult for her but we can still go out in the car.

I have been living under a rock, cause how else could I have missed knowing that Arby’s sells Brown Sugar Bacon samiches!

I haven’t had one yet, but it will happen.

We had an easy day today and didn’t have to stress about finding a room because that was dealt with last night. We visited with his favorite cousin and went to the house.

The wrap around porch was sound, no punky wood and good paint. The veiw of the Greenbriar River was stunning and the traffic noises not too bad. We couldn’t tell if the windows were double paned from the outside, but the sills look worryingly narrow. The kitchen looked even better that the pics showed, the sink window looks over the river too.

If this place falls through, we have 9 others to look at and if we don’t find anything we like, we can come back and look again.

We don’t really have long this time, we have to be home by the 3rd so NF and I can go to Dallas for the eclipse.

The internet speeds here kinda suck, the motel wants us to pay more $ for more speed, and we are cheaping out on that.

Hugs to all and I’ll go back to lurking for a while!

Just wait until autumn!

I’m envious! The FloraBama is one of my favorite bars (the Sloop ain’t bad either).

Feel better soonest nellie!

Irked, came home to a poured patio, so I expect the fence will be put back up in a couple of more days. I also got a time frame on the car. It looks like I’ll be back in the grey ghost on 10 April. Yay! I had to call the apartment office because my mailbox key no longer works. She said that a new key will be waiting for me tomorrow afternoon when I get off irk.

Stay safe and healthy y’all