(Old) GET READY TO RUM-BEAR! - A Fat Bear Week MMP

I did the replace the terlet seat thing, and it inspired me to clean the whole bathroom. So that was fun.

Ms Peach was being a recalcitrant “I donwanna come inside” little doggie. But we eventually go that sorted. Some good running after squeaky balls did the trick.

Mollie Good for you making the thread!!

Just got a message from my youngest sis. About 6 this morning, she took our mom to the ER because she was having trouble breathing. There was also something about fluid accumulation. And it’s still unknown whether Mom will be spending the night there or not.

Needless to say, this is a bit worrisome. My mom is 92, and recently, she’s decided she doesn’t want to bother with regular Dr visits. She’s got a history of self-medicating - only OTC stuff - that caused bleeding in her stomach, tho I think she learned not to do that.

I’ll wait and wonder till someone gets back to me. Naturally, my mind went to worst possible scenario…

(offers hugs to you and other family who may want them)

My mind does that to me, too. I can go from “haven’t gotten a response to that email in a couple of days” to “this person hates me, wants nothing to do with me, and will never willingly interact with me again” in roughly zero time. I am an expert at catastrophizing.

With that said, I don’t know your mother’s medical history, but at her age, “worst possible scenario” might be realistic, I’m sorry to say.

A pretty good day. Breakfast and exercise, then this afternoon we went to a presentation by one of the teachers from MacPhail, who spent an hour covering the life and music of Henry Mancini, one of my favorite composers. Peter Gunn was the first album I ever bought. I’d never heard anything like that combination of big band and jazz improv, and it still holds up nearly 70 years later.

I’m very well aware of that. She’s older than both of her parents were when they died, and she’s outlived all 3 of her (younger) siblings. Still, in my mind, I’m still a kid and she’s teaching me how to bake.

FCM am saying some prayers for your Mom :folded_hands:

Krogered. Bought a Stouffer’s classic Lasagna. As soon as I walked in the door, I started the oven pre-heating. Cooked some broccoli in olive oil and sprinkled with Dash seasoning, oregano and powdered garlic. Yum. Then since a carton of Heath Klondike bars had jumped into the shopping cart (actually Hubs surreptiously secreted them in the cart), I had one for dessert. Double Yum.

Was supposed to go to Coffee Week Kickoff but my intestines were in revolt shortly after returning from Kroger so I texted BF and apologized for not being able to go. Will spend the evening on the lazyboy.

Howdy Y’all! As stated earlier, today had been a day of high RDOS sloth. It has been glorious! I have read, watched stoopid teevee, achieved nappage and day drinkin’ and even made sup, which has been et. OK that required effort, but not too much. Now it’s time for some more stoopid teevee and ice cream!

BooFae one should be allowed to go all WWE on shriekin’ tweenies. So they “fixed” the system and now it’s worse. Sounds par for the course.

MOOOOOOM I know where the key to the front door lives because we get a lot of packages delivered there. Sometimes someone even bothers to ring the doorbell. Both of us like to sleep cool, but sometimes I need a cover over me. We have blankets, but usually the bedspread does it for me. I just saw your post about your mom. Hope she’s OK. It’s tough to worry about one’s own mom.

MetalMouse don’t think I’ve ever had to work out a strategy to procure provisions. Hope it worked out.

Nuts I gather it’s down to the wire now. Sounds like you had a non-meetin’ with those “supervisors.” I am neither plant or fungus, but sometimes I am pretty much as sentient as a fungus.

rocker so, one rager where furniture gets tossed of the roof, and the access gets closed. What a bunch of party poopers! We’ve been re-watchin’ Shameless US. I think Frank is a bad influence on me.

Taters :astonished_face: Glad Zeus seems OK and that there was no damage to the house. Hope son did order those knob covers and locks pronto.

Cat_Glove so, hubs is the ultimate white boy dancer? Stouffer’s classic lasagna is why I don’t make lasagna anymore. It’s every bit as good as one I make from scratch.

WetOne the idea of a meetin’ about mulch is enough to send me into a coma.

Mollie sounds like big doin’s at the Magill household! As to the comin’ out thread, you’ll know when it’s time and we’ll be here for support. I see you have started the thread. I shall have a look at it, if not today, tomorrow at some point.

red never had fried fresh cucumbers, but I have had fried dill pickle chips. They’re good but a few is more than enough for me. They are always served with ranch dressin’ as a dip. Hope the new Kindle gets set up with minimal bother.

Oopsie bummer about the trip, but it seems a wise decision. Havin’ a staycation is not a bad thing even if all you do is stay home and build Legos. Appropriate/inappropriate appendages crossed re the potential new hire.

Coppertone HUZZAH on the results! If you think sump’n is wrong it is never a bad thing to get it checked out.

52 hope you get to meet up with your niece.

VanGo I am sure that shiny new terlet seat made the rest of the bathroom look dingy. Hope it doesn’t lead to a complete re-model. Such things can be a slippery slope.

Heard back from my sister. Our mom is being moved to a real hospital - apparently the Kaiser Perm facility where she had to go can’t provide what she needs over the weekend. So she’ll be in St. Joseph’s in Baltimore. I don’t expect to hear any more till morning.

Happy thoughts… happy thoughts…

Appendages crossed for your mom.

My printer ink was delivered to the wrong apartment this afternoon. Fortunately, unlike **taters** neighbor, the neighbor who received it brought it over and apologized for opening the envelope before looking at the address.

FCM I truly hope all goes well for your mom.

Ms Peach has become more calcitrant and is currently being a heavy right leg leaner. At least she’s not running down the street.

I hope things go well for your mom, fcm. I’ll be thinking of y’all.

Hippie, your “quilt so far” rocks!

Hugs and well-wishes to all of you, whether you want 'em or not.

Mollie: :clap: :two_hearts:

I’ve had a really nice, lazy day. :smiley: I finished the tree house:

It came with both green (light and dark) and yellow-and-brown “leaves”: I decided to go with fall colors, but I put the green pieces in a drawer in case I ever want to change the look.

After displaying it and cleaning up the kitchen table, I moved to the main floor couch and got some solid reading done…which reminds me, I should walk to the mailbox tomorrow because there may be a new issue of The New Yorker in there.

I’ve been down in the TV room for a few hours now, and am caught up on many of the shows I listed earlier. Of the premieres, so far the only dud has been Brothers: Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey playing fictionalized versions of themselves could have gone either way, but wound up not working for me. I’m on the fence about Line of Fire, but I’ll at least watch a second episode.

I’m looking forward to more reading and TV catch-up tomorrow.

Yay! I’m so glad that she’s happy with “our” company. :slight_smile: The flexibility definitely varies program by program, but I’ve been there for 8 years now and have worked in three different areas, and I believe they’re as sincere about work/life balance as a super massive defense contractor can be.

:people_hugging: :crossed_fingers:

Up from naptime. I’m having a Negroni, since it’s Negroni Week, and salmon, since it’s Fat Bear Week(mine is baked with rosemary, salt and pepper, rather than yeeted out of a stream and eaten live, though). And not sure Chunk 32 ever had wild rice blend with Morels and peas as a side. :wink: Laundry is put away, and Spot is off being cat and mysterious.

"My thanks to those who assisted me. And for those who opposed me: To the last, I grapple with thee! From Hell’s heart, I stab at thee! For hate’s sake, I spit my last breath at thee!(especially perfect if your thesis is on Melville).
Also why I will never have a PhD, because the smartest part of me is my mouth.

Also mine.

{{{{FairyChats}}}}

But you are a fungi to be around.

No, that would be the guy from the NJ Devils fan club. He make me look like Baryshnikov.

Nice! Calvin would approve.

Evening all. Soccer has been coached, dinner has been consumed, and bedtime beckons soon, since my first game is at 8am and I’ll be busy and out of the house until 3pm or later, both coaching and refereeing. At least it should be a cool morning, temperature now is 68F and we may see it drop into the 50’s late tonight.

And lots to get covered. Best be about it.

oopsie, best wishes for your aunts recovery and getting up to see them sometime this fall. And hooray for the new hire, may he be everything you expect.

Coppertone, best to worry a bit instead of ignoring things (which I have done on occasion).

52, hope it starts cooling down out there. And trust you had a happy meetup with niece.

Mollie, see you started a thread about your changes in life. Bravo!

I imagine the bosses all singing “We didn’t start the fire…”

FCM, best wishes for your Mom and {{{ }}} for you.

Cookie, you mentioned Henry Mancini and immediately I was hearing Baby Elephant walk in my head…

Oopsie, that is quite the creation.

And time to finish up here, work on my player lineups for tomorrow (which will be spoiled as someone(s) will not show up) and set the alarm for 6:15am. I’ll try to catch up when I can tomorrow but it’s going to be a busy Sattiday for the Ol’Rat.

Brava!

:slight_smile:

After a brief nap, I made a fun little holiday card. Not a whole lot shakin’ otherwise.

red, that card is absolutely wonderful! I may need a couple of those.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

There is a GORGEOUS globe glowing, up in the sky tonight. Insomniacs, go look!

Not too shabby, for a Friday night.


Didn’t think anyone was interested, but …

Charm (the pretty little corn snake) sadly slithered over the rainbow bridge a while ago. At that point, maintaining multiple ASF colonies to feed one mouth[1] was getting ridiculous … I was quite literally spending more on their groceries than mine.

So I found a semi-local outfit willing to ship (overnight on dry ice :money_mouth_face: ) ASFs to feed Pretzel. Got rainbow tongs to handle that chore - they were BOGO and I have yet to decide what to do with a 2nd extra-long rainbow tongs, that came with complimentary black velvet drawstring gift bag. Considering offering them at work to anyone who could use the MOTHER of all white elephant gifts, for the holidays …

Rehomed the remainder of my ASFs, and have slightly better peace of mind - before, every night after work turned into a crapton of chores for them.

I also have frozen rodents in my freezer now, next to the pot pies & ice cream. As one does.

(They’re double-bagged; no need for faintin’ pearls.)

Aren’t ya glad you asked?


  1. FootnotesPretzel, who is stubbornly very much still with us ↩︎