(Old) Sleepover in the MMP

I was going to start out this week commenting how I slept with Mel last night, which led to memories of sleepovers with friends which struck me as a not-too-terrible topic for this week, so why not? :grin:

Possible approaches:

• Did you prefer having friends at your house or going to their house?
  • One friend only or a group?
  • Bedroom or somewhere else?
  • Did you actually sleep?

I’ll come back with my input after I give it a think. But I did want to address a couple of things from last week, if I can remember them.

sari - the work was tedious, but still feel-good. There’s no way the school’s budget could handle even half of what we’ve done for them.

Also, short recliners - one that we’re holding for MIL is a shorty (as is she) and I have trouble getting out of it, even tho I’m just 5’4". But the grands love it - just their size!

I’m another with RBF, tho I wasn’t aware till my last gummint boss mentioned it. It also explains why FCD is always asking if I’m mad at him. I’m really an overall happy soul, but I guess my face didn’t get the memo.

Regarding shopping - I hate it, but if I have to shop, i usually prefer to take my time and consider options. My grandfather was get in-get stuff-get out and it drove my grandmother crazy - especially when they were shopping for wallpaper. Makes me wonder what their house would have looked like if he’d given her a little more time.

OK, done with the old. On to the new!

Happy Moanday!!

First! It’s good to be juvenile!

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 73 Amurrkin out and clear with a predicted high of 95 and N.O.S. for the day. We have an item of productivity on the agenda for today. I know. This is really bringin’ down my sloth cred. However, some low hangin’ limbs on trees in the front yahd need to be cut and hauled off to the landfill. So, this mornin’ shall be devoted to that. It really shouldn’t take more than a couple of hours to trim the limbs and get ‘em to the landfill as I am not talkin’ huge limbs but ones we can snip with the big clippers. After that it shall be high sloth and general overall uselessness to include cee-mint pond time, nappage, and day drinkin’. It will be well-earned sloth. Sup shall be leftovers from Sattidy’s feast so that’ll be easy.

Had a few sleepovers durin’ childhood. They were mostly one on one and I shared a bedroom with my younger brother who would also have a friend over on occasion. I remember a few sleepovers at other friends’ houses that included a group, but not many. Boys didn’t seem to do group sleepovers back then as much as the girls did.

When we grocery shop, it’s with a list with the intention of gettin’ in and out as quick as possible. If one is lookin’ at home improvement stuff, appliances and the like, it’s better to take the time to shop around even though I detest doin’ that. Fortunately some things can be done via teh intartoobz these days which makes me happy as I can shop from the comfort of da cave.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, when it’s daylight enough, we shall commence operation tree limb. I can hardly contain myself I am so joyous!

Happy Moanday Y’all!

Just to answer my own then:

• Always better at the other person’s house. Better for me, anyways.
  • I honestly don’t recall going to a sleepover party, but I’m sure it would be more fun than with just 1 person.
  • Definitely somewhere other than a boring bedroom, tho there generally wasn’t much of an option among my friends - we all lived in small-ish places.
  • Sleep at a sleepover? Are you insane??

One of my high school’s fundraisers was a lock in “sleepover” in the gym and adjacent areas. But who’s going to sleep when you can jump on the trampoline at 3AM?? Plus the music was always blaring. Good times, followed by a return home to sleep.

Carry on!

Mornin, all. Up and off to the shop. Have a meeting about a potential new gig, I think I mentioned in the last MMP?

I went to a few sleepovers as a kid, always at the other person’s house. Usually about 6 boys. Little sleep was had. We did the high school all night party thing, too. Entirely too many chaperones at those, lol.

Stay safe and have a great week, all!

Good morning, all.

I didn’t do many sleepovers, and only remember one. I stayed at a friend’s house with several other girls, and discovered that I was horribly allergic to cats. The host girl had two. I sneezed and wheezed during what little time the group tried to sleep.

A half an hour ago (4:30 a.m.), there was a rolling domestic dispute going down our street. A couple pulled over in front of our house and got out of the car to scream obscenities at each other for several minutes. Then they got back in the car, drove half a block further on, screeched to a stop, and got out to repeat the performance. Then they did it again a half a block further on. They finally wore out their vocal cords, got back in the car and drove out of the neighborhood. Fun times!

Happy Moanday! I woke up with a charley horse in my calf. That’s my moan. And the name is attributed to an American baseball player named Charley. The things you can learn here are amazing and useless.

Preferred a friend’s house. So much more interesting, and usually more permissive parents
Usually in a group; for a birthday party was the common excuse
Living room or family room floors were common. Bedroom if it was just one other friend.
Did I sleep? Yes, but not for long. Others bragged about no sleep, even at the parties where I KNOW they were asleep because I woke up and nobody was moving and the TV was off.

I was lucky to have a family of cousins near my own family’s ages so we traded sleepovers often but it was usually just Mary and me. Otherwise, it was school chums and usually birthday parties.

As a Camp Fire Girl, I participated in a huge sleepover at a YWCA. There was swimming until midnight (then the locked us out of the pool room), volleyball, a 4-lane bowling alley but mostly it was just a bunch of strange girls being loud to me. I crashed early because I didn’t see the point of trying to be friendly with all these girls I’d never see again. I was 11 and an introvert.

Wow. I bet you’ll be quite happy to move out of the neighborhood if that kind of thing happens on any kind of regular basis.

Group and individual sleepovers were always at my house. We had a finished basement and the groups slept there ( using the word slept loosely). I remember a time or two sleeping at a girlfriend’s house but since my mom was the cool mom, it mainly was my house.

Tomorrow I get my first Dupixent shop which, fingers crossed, will rid my sinuses of nasal polyps. I’ve been suffering for decades. Had surgery, stuff came back, not a candidate for revision surgery.

I stayed a few times at a friend’s house in junior high, but that was it. It just wasn’t a thing for boys to do. Went “hunting” a few times with buddies in high school, which mainly meant underage drinking and not much hunting.

Today is intake for out-patient PT. I guess they’ll evaluate where I am and suggest a schedule.

Savory steel-cut oatmeal this morning with a fried egg on top and side of oinker.

So what do you put in your savory oatmeal? I add ham or a local, spicy sausage that I’ve cooked and drained. Then spinach or chopped up chard. I usually put the egg in at the last minute and let the heat of the oatmeal do most of the cooking for me.

I got up earlier than my alarm, so i have an extra few minutes. Good thing, because my sister, who’s flying into Chicago from Louisiana, got into a tizzy because her flight was delayed 4 hours. I found an earlier flight, same airlines, so she’s going to see if she can get on that.

Sleepovers. Slumber parties were fun, though I only went to a few. After my parents bought a new house and before we moved in, Mom let me have a slumber party there. No furniture, but we didn’t worry about spills because the carpet was about to be replaced.

I preferred sleeping over at a friend’s house. Such excitement! I slept over at my friend V’s house. Her mom was from Germany and her dad was from Serbia. Her upstairs wasn’t finished yet and was unheated. We used a featherbed as a quilt because it was so cold up there, and all night it slithered off us and we both had to wake up and pull it back over us.

We slept in a bedroom, which is one reason I didn’t have a sleepover at my house until I was about 10. I shared a room with my sister.

I don’t think I ever got much sleep at a sleepover. Once at a slumber party, we all fell asleep listening to the birds waking up and chirping.

Gotta go for reals this time. Ciao!

Mornin’ all. 83F here, and slated to hit 106 this afternoon. Not much planned today, maybe a few desultory household chores. I need to make some calls (to docs, pharms, etc.) but that’s about it. Hopefully I can get my new specs today, in time for jury duty. Although maybe I could get sent home if I can’t read stuff at the front of the court.

Many years ago I almost ended up on a jury. The judge listed the requirements for serving, with a command that anyone ineligible speak up. I did, pointing out I lived a short distance over the county line (on the wrong side for his court). He laughed and said: “Well hell son, you can’t even vote for me!” And dismissed me.

Sleepovers for me were just my best friend and I. No groups that I recall, and mostly at his house. His backyard ended at the county’s potter’s field, which stretched for acres beyond that. The allure of a spooky graveyard for two middle school boys cannot be overstated. We played in it at length after dark, constantly convinced ghosts were afoot. At the time we thought that lying down on a grave would summon the ghost, so we’d each try this at various sites and then run away.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Good morning, everyone.

It’s 55F and sunny, with an expected high of 88F and clear skies.

I did both large groups and just a couple few friends’ sleepovers. Birthday parties were often sleepovers too. I preferred smaller groups to large groups because things turned cliquish fast with large groups of girls. We had some at my mother’s house, but I preferred sleepovers at friends’ homes. I also liked when my two neighbors would come over on hot summer nights, and we’d sleep outside on the lawn or back patio, looking at the stars and talking.

I was very busy yesterday, but I got my pavers laid. One needs a final bit of leveling, but I was so damn tired at the end that I left it for today. I posted a couple of pics on the book of faces.

I was right about Polar not being himself. :frowning_face: He seemed to perk up some later in the morning and had his usual lunchtime sammich, which he threw up about 30 minutes later. He then spent around four hours throwing up off and on. He rarely, if ever, throws up, and I was ready to take him to the emergency vet, but he finally stopped. We gave him a little water, but too much, every so often because he threw up after drinking half a bowl (I didn’t realize he’d done that until after the fact). He didn’t eat anything last night, and this morning, he’s not eating his usual little peanut butter/bacon, banana chews, so he’s still not right. I’m watching him and hopeful I can get him to eat some over-easy eggs, which he usually loves.

Since he threw up so much, I’m holding off on his meds. I want something in his stomach first.

We had plans to go to the zoo and out to lunch or dinner for today, but I’m not inclined to go until I’m certain Polar is doing better.

Nellie, wishing you safe and uneventful travels!

I’ll use today to get that final paver leveled and catch up on some laundry. I realized I didn’t do any laundry yesterday, so I must complete that. I’ll also rearrange my planters and probably mow the lawn. I usually do that on Saturday or Sunday, but was busy with the paver installation.

We’ll do the zoo thing tomorrow, I think.

FCM, you and FCD have done much for your daughter’s school! You do deserve a break!

JtC, I’m glad you have this time with your mother. Sending you hugs.

It’s time to get some minor chores accomplished.

Morning all. Took the car into the Dodge Dealership and they diagnosed a “cylinder 1 mis-fire”, which could be anything from a bad sparkplug to needing a new cylinder. So I have an appointment for…14 September!!! Think I will look for a local garage to take a look at it, now that they’ve defined the culprit.

Also need to see the Doc about refilling my prescription and doing the local runs (am trying to use the car on a limited basis). Don’t want to get a rental car, but if necessary…

Never was much for sleepovers, like Cookie, it just wasn’t a thing for boys to do and I was fairly introverted anyway.

Nellie, safe journeys and we’ll see you back on the MMP when you return.

Yanker, I can imagine a couple of young teens and a graveyard; glad you survived.

wet one, presume you are getting a shot and not a shop, either way hope it works well for you.

Lucky, living on the end of a cul-de-sac, I get to miss those rolling disputes. This day and age, just glad it didn’t end in gunfire…

VanGo, good luck on the new gig.

OK, need to get out and do the necessary stuff. All y’all have a good Moanday.

Normally some dried thyme in the cooking pot. Bacon gets crumbled in after. The wife’s been making breakfasts for the past few weeks because of my knee. This morning she used the rolled oats instead of the steel cut. I only like rolled oats in granola or cookies. It’s faintly disgusting otherwise.

Small heaving was brief. T, the woman who doesn’t want to be there is transferring to Revenue Recovery. Which means she’ll be putting stickers on Irregs . I got sent to load a 4 car set. One package car was half full with books for the community college. Another was half full with stuff for the local THC shop. The smell was enough that I feel mellow and shiny. Also, there was another full time position posted. It’s Midnight/Preload, so I applied. Doubt I’ll get it, but worth a shot.
Sleep overs? Usually just one friend, bedroom, and no sleep, just playing Atari 2600 until dawn.
Spot has a crush. Roommate put on Willow the Cat on the TV, and Spot went nuts. Jumping up, talking to the cats on screen, he even spent 15 minutes looking around the TV for the cats after I turned it off.

Because your face knows that somewhere someone is not using a coaster.

I think they were my neighbors back when I lived in the hood.

Sleepovers were not really a thing boys did in my youth

Also: Happy birthday Juliet Capulet:

“Even or odd, of all days in the year,
Come Lammas-eve at night shall she be fourteen.
Susan and she–God rest all Christian souls!–
Were of an age: well, Susan is with God;
She was too good for me: but, as I said,
On Lammas-eve at night shall she be fourteen.”

• Act I, Scene 3 of Romeo and Juliet

If the generally accepted date of 1595 the play was written is correct, that would make this her 442nd birthday

I had to google Lammas Eve (Day). Presumably it was a less obscure holiday in Shakespeare’s time, but I’d never heard of it.

I did do at least a few sleepovers as a kid. Boys didn’t really do the whole big slumber party thing, but once in a while I’d have one (on rare occasions, two) friends over for the night, or go to their house. I honestly cannot recall what we did all night. Oh, I just remembered that one of my friends had a tent, and we’d “camp” in his back yard once in a while.

Not much happening here at Casa de Wheelz. I’m still not working. At Mrs W’’s suggestion, I’ve been working my way through an online proofreading course, which is presumably a thing one can make money doing. We shall see.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I stopped for some Amish corn and cukes - somehow I have to turn them into supper - maybe with the crab legs I bought the other day…

Home now waiting for the pellet stove cleaner to arrive. Before I left the school, I helped FCD install 3 panels, then made up 3 jumper cables and got 4 more ready for their connectors. If the guy(s) show up soon enough, I’ll go back to school to finish the cables. Otherwise I’ll do them tonight at home.

Meanwhile, I’ll finish lunch then do some roll-sucking and tidying hereabouts. Because, well, why not?

As Cookie said, it’s not really a boys thing. Or at least wasn’t in my era.

We did that a time or three, more often at our house than one of my pals’. I expect there must have been some other indoor sleepover once or twice, but not much past age 10 and I have no actual recollection of any.

Raisin’ hell as one of a half-dozen tween / teens in high school stayin’ out much too late? Sure. No intent to sleep there.

Fast forward 50+ years to today:
Got up just a bit predawn & headed out to the beach. Sun just up, warm air, warm water, not beastly hot yet; it was great. Spent almost 2 hours there snoozing, walking, or swimming. Came home in time for Her Ladyship to be just up and drying hair. Shevelment & joint breakfast followed.

Now, shortly post-noon, I’m considering my lunch options. Followed by post-lunch slothage & Dopery no doubt.

Nellie that’s darn nice of you to be your sister’s keeper. I suppose changing her own flight was something beyond her?

Swampy remember now, as soon as you’re done with those few small branches, it’s time to start a-slothin’ like you mean it. Your recent ambition has been putting your hard-earned reputation at risk.

Yanker: I mentioned somewhere recently my murder 1 voir dire last year. Anyhow, 3 days after my report date I was scheduled to move out of the county. Which I told the judge right at the outset on Mon. His answer: “We’ll have the jury selected by close of business Wed. You don’t move until Thu. If you’re on the Jury Wed night, you’ll stay on the jury. If not, enjoy your new house.” I wasn’t selected and I have no idea if my move and the attendant disruption in my life contributed to their decision or not.

Tater: good luck w Polar. At least now you know somethting is solidly amiss. And it’s early in the irkweek so the vet’s offices will be open.