(Old) The Standard(Time) MMP

It’s Standard Time(unless you have a pet, in which case you are an hour late feeding them and they are loudly starving to death < looks at Spot >). I’m up. caffeinated, and sheveled. Off to heave. Hijack away!

FIRST!!

Take that, Swampy!

As to the O.P. there’s very little that’s standard about me.

Morning, mumpers! It’s currently 7c/45f with a predicted high of 11c/51f. Weather app is not impressed and tell me that “Today is merely an average day with some fucking clouds”. It’s sunny here at the moment, not a cloud to be seen so a little above average for us.

We did the clock-changing thing a week earlier than you did so I’ve had time to get used to it being dark when I prefer it to be light! Now we’re on a countdown to the equinox so that we know we’re heading back towards more daylight.

Figuring I’ll pop in quickly this morning while I’m awake but should be sleeping. It feels nice to be in the thread early enough that I’m not playing catch up. Of course, there’s not a lot to say both from the early hour and nothing changing since posting in the pervious MMP.

Still trying to figure out what I’m going to do with my unexpectedly free day. I should be reading the book for my book club on Thursday. I just can’t seem to get into it. I’m probably going to force myself through it, just to keep me out and social.

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 45 Amurrkin out and clear with a predicted high of 79 and N.O.S. for the day. We shall be our usual slothful and useless selves today. However, ceilin’ fans shall be cleaned as they are pretty ICK lookin’. Sup will be beastloaf, green beans, mac 'n cheese, and rolls. I took the beastloaf outta da freezer last night before I retired.

Since I am a retired drain on society, the changin’ of the time does not effect me all that much. It’s gettin’ daylight out as I post as opposed to gettin’ daylight an hour later. Meh.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, onward into the day! Rah.

Happy Moanday Y’all!

As if any of us are… :crazy_face:

Brace yourselves for a disturbance in The Force - my plans for today include < dramatic pause > dusting. Yep, it’s finally gotten to the point where I can’t stand it. So dustage and rollsuckage are the main chores, along with some general tidyage.

I can’t quite get over how bright the display on the new microwave is - the clock is almost a night light! But I do appreciate the big characters. It’ll take a bit to learn where certain buttons are - like the surface light and the timer. They’re not the same as its predecessor. And the surface light isn’t very bright - I may look into lightbulb alternatives. But overall, I’m glad to have an operational appliance of a decent size. The one my daughter loaned us was a lifesaver, but it’s teeny, and it goes back to her tomorrow.

The big worry today is the call from Paul. It’ll either make sense to repair the car, or we’ll have to start shopping for a replacement. I hate car shopping with a white-hot hate, especially since FCD and I are on to very different planes regarding vehicles. He cares. I just want something cheap and safe to get me from here to there and back. He panics about mileage - it kills him that my Sonata is over 200K miles. I fear his mind is stuck in the day when few cars could survive to 100K. Anyway, we’ll see what Paul has to say.

I got most of the clocks changed yesterday, but the one in the basement is still wrong. And in my car, and the truck, and FCD’s car. Add that to the list. The rest of the day will be adventure.

Happy Moanday!!

Um, do you maybe mean solstice?

Most likely - brain not functioning properly today!

It’s early, the caffeine probably hadn’t fully kicked in yet. :slight_smile:

Morning all. As usual when it is a travel day, up way earlier than I need to be, flight doesn’t leave until a little after noontime, so will be be hanging around trying to think of problems for 4 hours or so. Have turned heat down to 64F and will turn off the water in a little but. 44F right now but heading to 78F and at least in the 80’s in Miami. Am all checked in and can’t think of anything I forgot (don’t worry, I’ll remember it somewhere south of Atlanta).

Have a good week all and I’ll try to check in tonight.

Mornin’ all.

Metalmouse: You local Miami weather report now an hour after sunrise is 67F/20C (coldest so far this Fall) on the way to 84/29. Barely a cloud in the sky and expected to remain that way for the next several days. Whatever challenges your travels encounter, weather here won’t be one of them.

From last week, it was good to get an update from Truefish and I agree with the others that the sooner you accept that your Mom (unfortunately) has significant problems of her own and you write her off, the sooner you’ll begin to heal from all the damage she inflicted. Damage inflicted not because you deserved to be hurt, but just because she was too defective to know how not to hurt. It’s a darn shame, but there are a lot of people who’ve lived through similar experiences and gotten better. You can too. We can help.

As to me:
Not too much here. Trying to reduce my SDMB and therefore MMP participation. I’ve read everything in last week’s MMP for the last few days but haven’t posted in awhile. As swampy might almost say (but much more colorfully): yaays, boos, and hugs as appropriate.

As to me since last time:
We had nice ruling class dinner on Wed, then next day Her Ladyship cooked a few interesting side dishes and a southwestern corn chowder, Fri & Sat were sorta gloomy & rainy so I did a successful micro-DIY here at the apartment after the maintenance staff had tried and given up. Also got my first haircut since end of August just before I retired. I wanted to let it grow out so he had plenty to work with while aiming for a new and less severe style. So he cut most of it off and it’s short again. Damn. Not sure I like it this way, but it is neater. Sunday we met friends at a small nearby art festival, the first of many this season. Had a nice stroll through the festival and an outdoor mall nearby.

Otherwise sloth and leftovers has mostly ruled our my week. Her Ladyship, as always, has been a beehive of cleaning and rearranging activity. FCM would be very proud of one of us.

Cheers all!

Good morning from the Left Coast. The clocks say 5 am, but my body says it hasn’t a clue what time it is. I thought I’d had little sleep, but Kropotkinskaya assures me I slept right through the fire alarm in the building across the street and the bustling fire trucks at 1 am. No damage across the street and the trucks were gone inside of 20 minutes but I slept right through it all. Still feels like I got no sleep, though! I’m blaming the time change.

Busy day today, with a lecture and class to give, so I hope I get some boost in energy. This is the first semester where I have regularly thought, “you know, retirement doesn’t sound too bad.” Maybe a recent birthday has helped nudged the “time served” needle over a little!

Waiting for my paycheck to clear so I can { sigh } put on pants & go to Wally World for kitty litter plus a bit of cash back so I can stop by the dispo on the way home.

Having one less than a minute from my house (it has a drive-thru!) and even better, that I can finally avail myself (having a D.L.) gives me so much happiness that I prefer to make frequent stops for just a lil’ bit at a time.

Also waiting for the trash to be picked up so I can roll the empty bin back & toss the stinky poop box. (I have just enough litter to start a fresh box, but it’ll be a rather shallow layer.)

Also ALSO waiting for my dad to let me know he’s conscious so I can call him for his birthday.

Lotsa waitin’ around.

Listening to the wind rustling, and instead of enjoying the gentle whooshing I’m worrying about the splintered mulberry whose remains are right over the roof, right over the lone bathroom.

So I guess I’m also ALSO ALSO waiting for maintenance to send someone with a chainsaw around. They’re gonna need tree guys who know how to get the rest down without damaging the roof, and judging from the arboreal carnage in my 'hood those guys are gonna be in very hot demand right now.

Why, you got somethin’ better goin’ on to do?

:slight_smile:

I feel like a trout might be involved, though I’ve never quite understood why.

ETA: trash truck just rolled on thru, so I can at least wrap myself in a bathrobe sufficiently to wander out & retrieve the bin.

Trout n’ Chitlins: breakfast of (Southern) Champions I guess. :crazy_face:

Good luck w the waitin’ around. And the soon-to-fall tree.

Mornin’ all. I’m up and already in the shop. One thing I always forget about the time shift is the annoyance of the drive to work. Certain times of year I drive straight into the sun, then it slowly moves to a more comfortable spot. Then time shift and I have another month of crap.

The fund raiser last Firday night went OK, I think. I’ll need to get in touch with the museum director to find out for sure.

I’d fallen back asleep after posting this morning and I believe I’m not fully awake yet. Because instead of the above, what I read was

And all I could think was, " Did VanGo sleep drive?"

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I need coffee…

Short heaving, I was in Secondary sort, then pulling cages and loading on 200 middle Green. I stopped and got cat food and cat treats, since somebody was screaming about the almost empty container yesterday. I gotta take Roomie to the colonoscopy in a bit, then naptime.

From a Monty Python sketch.

Day 11 of symptoms. :frowning:

Mrs. L.A. started a fund drive for World Vision on Facebook for her birthday. When I donated, I was informed that Meta is no longer covering the transaction fees for donations. I added a couple of bucks to cover them. You know… If I were a billionaire with a billion-dollar company, I’d cover the transaction fees to charitable donations. Two dollars isn’t a lot of money, but it’s a much higher percentage of my income than Meta’s, and Meta can write it off on their taxes. (I can’t because I use the standard deduction.)

Good morning! It’s raining. You know what? From here until March, just assume it’s raining in the PNW. (If I inserted a few expletives, I’d sound like BooFae’s forecast app.)

It’s my last day housesitting. I’ve grown to feel at home here and will miss you Alexa, the gas stove, the lovely neighborhood, and other things, but I am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed. Today I’m going to give the house a thorough cleaning, do laundry, and haul them biiiiiig trash bins in from the curb.

MetalMouse, safe travels, and have a great time!

Flyboy, man, that virus likes you! Yoiks.

Up at 0600, because humans don’t have a clock reset button. At least the cat was happy. Bagel with salmon cream cheese, bacon and tomato and a dusting of dill, cup o’ joe, crosswords, Wordle, and a half hour of exercise class under my belt. Now I’m ready for. . .a nap. At least I got the car washed yesterday, so that’s not hanging over my head. Later, doodzzzzzzz.