Old songs you've heard a million times but.

Brandy, you’re a fine girl, what a good wife you would be! (Looking Glass)

Build Me Up, Buttercup (the Foundations)

Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes (Edison Lighthouse)

Well, sure, but everybody knows that the bird is the word.

The Cowsills’ “The Rain, the Park, and Other Things”

Bowie’s Life on Mars.

Yeah, I’ve kept up with old Robert Plant as I can. I caught his performance with Alison Krauss in 2008 (09?), and it was gratifying to see him still doing what he loves. The venue was small and it was a treat to watch. He looked about the same as he does in the Austin City Limits youtube you linked to. I always loved him singing that song, and it doesn’t suffer from age – to my old ears, at least. :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing it!

They didn’t do that one at the concert I went to, but they did Battle of Evermore, which is also a perennial favorite of mine. The standout piece of the evening (IMHO) was a cover of the Everly Bros. Gone, Gone, Gone. Here’s the official video. Cute and fun.

Two out of three ain’t bad…

I have no idea which one you don’t rate.

Temptation. It’s OK, but the others are so much more my taste. Happy memories.
(And I couldn’t avoid the reference to Meat Loaf: haven’t heard him for ages, but if I ever do again, it’s gotta be loud too).

Ugh, no, not a fan (so very much not that I didn’t recognize the reference)

Love it, wonder why it hasn’t been on my AI picks on the tube.

You can tell when someone likes performing or they are just phoning it in for a paycheck.

The percussion and instrumental break in Led Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love.

I’m transported back to that stormy night in the late '70s when I was racing along on a deserted country two-lane road with thunder crashing and horizontal streaks of lightning splintering the sky, on my way to see my baby. That was the music (accompanied by bursts of static) playing on the radio.

There is a YouTube clip of 10cc recording that song in studio, it’s an amazing process.

BIP: Yes, I’ll admit it – Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl) by Looking Glass. Not bad for a heavy metal band.

Agreed – that song, like “Bohemian Rhapsody,” is an incredible feat of engineering, especially considering it was all done on magnetic tape.

Apparently, Billy Joel did something similar with tha background vox on Just The Way You Are. An homage to 10cc.

Yeah, I tell people (when asked) that Layla is my favorite song. It’s not perfect, but it has a lot going for it…great songwriting, intense vocals, superbly layered guitars played by two masters of the craft, an unusual two-movement structure, a back story, and some fine licks.

As I recall, Bobby Whitlock has stated in multiple interviews that he thought Duane Allman was unnecessary to the recording and shouldn’t have played with the group in the studio. I don’t know if I would feel the same way about the song if that had happened.

This song just came on the station I was listening to:

Petula Clark always makes me think of Lulu.

I prefer the pounding piano of ‘I Know A Place’, it’s more…hip. ‘A cellar full of noise’ - reference to where the Beatles started? Is it true Jimmy Page was a studio musician on this song?..I turn it up and sing along, every time!

Funny you should mention Allman. I recently finished reading his autobiography; I had not even known that he played on “Layla” prior to that.

mmm

“Brandy” and these two just scream “SEVENTIES!” to me:

I crank up the volume on this one just because it reminds me of Donna Pescow:

Donna Pescow, mmmmmmmm! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: