Omnibus College Football Thread 2021-22

Wow, Pac 12 is 8-6 in out of conference play. Even Oregon only wins by 7 over Fresno State. That North division is going to be wide open. Tulane is a better team than what they’re given credit for, nearly beating OU on the road with the players distracted by Ida’s aftermath. Nice to see crowds back, but I really fear that a whole lot of these fans are going to get sick.

I think the Pac-12 held its own yesterday, save the Washington fiasco. Fresno State has always had the tendency to bite teams in the ass if they’re not looking – they’re to the West Coast teams what the University of Houston and Central Florida are to the Gulf Coast teams (SEC/ACC).

Agreed with everything you wrote. I’m surprised and alarmed by their OL and DL play. It’ll be a very long season if they can’t get that fixed. Paul Feinbaum still has LSU winning 8 or 9 games, so we’ll see.

But yeah, I think a lot of the credit just goes to Chip Kelly’s wizardry, which has finally produced a winner in SoCal. It would be nice to see the UCLA-USC rivalry back on again. You guys play the Ducks at the Rose Bowl this year, which should also be a good game.

Well, I posted this to pretty much every other 2021 college football thread, so I might as well say it here:

Don’t forget that there is a new OT rule this year.
The “must go for 2 after a TD” rule now starts in the second OT instead of the third.
The “each team’s possession consists of just a 2-point conversion attempt” rule now starts in the third OT instead of the fifth.

Meanwhile, if anybody is waiting for my annual “5-7 bowl eligibility order” list, it’s not happening; the NCAA decided that, with too many schools having online classes, APRs would not be made public this year. What happens if there are more bowl game openings than 6-win teams is anybody’s guess, although the NCAA will probably make something official later in the season.

I’m just glad football’s back. Christ I need it.

If ND blows this game all the blame goes on the coaching staff. Especially the defensive coordinator. What a great comeback by the Seminoles though.

I’m a disappointed but not totally crushed FSU fan/alum. The loss hurts, but I hope the days of absolutely embarrassing losses are over.

And, as someone who’s been following FSU football since the 1980s, missed field goals at the end are our curse.

FSU brings the curse on itself sometimes. The kicker made the 50 yarder that his own coach iced him on. Sometimes, you just gotta send the guy out there and trust him.

That said, I agree that we looked better than I expected and I love that we seem to have found a good QB combo, although I think the starter/replacement order needs to change. A winning season this year and a bowl game are all I’m asking for (with at least one of those wins being Miami or UF). We’re still a couple of years away from the depth needed to really compete at the elite level.

Jesus, Brian Kelly.

After the game, Kelly was asked about his squad’s “ability to withstand” the Seminoles’ comeback.

“I’m in favor of execution. Maybe our entire team needs to be executed after tonight,” Kelly quipped to ESPN’s Katie George on the ABC broadcast. “We just didn’t execute very well.”

When John McKay did it, it was a bit of quick wit. When Kelly did it, it comes off as so mean spirited.

Anyway, with that win, ND clinches a spot in the playoff. In other news, Clemson is now a mere three losses away from possibly not making the playoff.

Kelly is an asshole, but he is a great coach.

Orgeron isnt far behind but he gets a pass because of his USC ties and we all know that Trojans arent all that brught.

It’s early but I like how physical Oregon has been against Ohio St.

Agreed. Oregon is doing a great job of controlling the clock on the road. Ohio St had better score on most of their possessions because they cant stop Oregon. Although its still very early in the season Ohio St doesnt look like they have the defense to win a National Championship.

THe Buckeyes have the talent but they’re young. But I think the other side of it is that Oregon’s O-line is probably pretty good. They’re experienced, and big.

Minnesota scored 31 and had 400 yards of total offense last week against them. You might be right that they are young and will improve but I would worry if I were a Buckeye fan.

The Buckeyes have not been able to stop the run, which is the same problem LSU had against UCLA. Looks like the PAC-12 is playing some good ole fashion power football - I dig it

Oregon is trying to give the game away with horrible clock management. Great game so far.

Buckeyes smell best when roasted.

Normally I don’t like any Big Ten team to lose an out of conference game, but I don’t feel so bad when it’s Ohio State. And especially when the opposition is not an SEC team.

I believe Corso’s underdog pick today was Toledo at ND. Would love to see it happen.

Woot! In both games this year Michigan State scored on the first play from scrimmage. Wonder how many games would be a record?

Dammit Colorado, you cannot let A&M win. Few things make me happier than watching the Aggie Corps get misty eyed at the end of a game, and now I may not get a chance to see that.