On again, off again?

I have been having trouble lately getting to the boards here. It seems to only happen from my home. Right now, I am at work, so obviously I can get here. At home, every time, for the last 2 days, that I have tried to get here, I get the message “can’t find server”. It doesn’t make any difference whether I use IE5 or Netscape. It actually coincides with the time a couple days ago when the boards were down for “maintenance”.

Is this a problem that only I am having? If so, how do I fix it? I have not changed any settings in my browser. I use Win98 and IE5. If I can’t get here from home, it will be just like I lost my best friend. Any ideas? Thanks.

“Welcome to the club,” she said glumly.

It’s anybody’s guess what causes it, but at least you’re not alone. I notice that some websites take forever to load, like the PDA Geek Newsletter and the Straight Dope Message Board, but other websites are fine–Google snaps right into place every time, but Jeeves takes forever.

As to whether it’s a problem with the SDMB server, or the router that your computer uses, or just Internet traffic in general, nobody knows. We all just live with it. There’s no sense yelling at the management here; if they could fix it, they would. Also, they have a very limited budget for things to fix it with, so it’s just one of those things.

Since it only does it from your home computer, it’s possibly a problem with whatever router your ISP uses. Or possibly your ISP itself may be having personality problems (“I didn’t want to be an ISP when I grew up, I wanted to open a greenhouse and sell beautiful flowers to people…”)

Say, how come every time I see you, I suddenly get hungry for little orange crackers? :smiley:

DDG – Is it because I’m so tasty? :D:D

I went and paid my ISP a visit. It seems that they did an upgrade to their servers and it was their fault. They did (or didn’t) do something or other. I had been racking my brain trying to figure out what I did, and it wasn’t even my fault. They tried to get here from one of their computers and couldn’t get here either. At any rate, I am now a happy camper again. I wonder if I need to get a life. :D:D