Oooh, what's wrong with me?

I feel bad. Not just bad, but really bad. I’ve never been able to admit when I’m sick, because I have a reputation for being an Iron Man. I RARELY get sick. When I do, I won’t admit it. I’m going to describe all my symptoms and events, and ask you persons to tell me what I got. I hereby release all persons who reply from any legal or medical obligations, written, implied, or otherwise. I ask persons not to post “Go see a doctor” because that will happen, if this lasts another week. Otherwise, please, just take into consideration my symptoms and hazard an educated guess on my condition.

First day:
Slight headache. Symptoms of Strep Throat. Throat swollen, front/top, scratchy, painful to swallow. Slight muscle ache.

Second day:
Extreme weariness, worse headache, throat swollenness and strep symptoms disappear, scratchiness remains. Deep, painful, grating cough. Lots of phlegm and mucus, runny nose. Bad muscleache. Slight fever. Take Excedrin, later, Sudafed.

That night:
Wake at 2am, horrible cough, take cought medicine, back to sleep. 5am, wake up freezing. Pull second blanket over me, sweat bullets while shivering so bad my whole body cramps up. Lasts approx 30-45 mins. Wake up, late morning, in a sweat.

Third day:
Life is now hell. Severe tiredness. Terrible fever. Hacking cough. Dying voice. Constantly cold, despite temperature. Gobs o mucus. Cannot speak w/o coughing fit. Horrible muscle ache (likely from shivering @ night). Took Dayquil, got medicinehead. Completely weak, detached. Also, Excedrin for headache. Takes 10 minutes to get impetus to move.

Fourth Day:
Feel much better. Been taking cheap equivalent to Nyquil entire time, just in case. Hold down food, drink, though soda makes me queasy. Go to movies, somewhat tired. Still have cough, chest pain. Voice rough. Phlegm. Start blowing blood through nose, late at night (get many nose bleeds, likely source). Ear pops, feels like drum breaks. Cannot equalize pressure. Much ear pain, ringing. Ear drum found to be intact, still, very painful.

Today:
Wake up feeling fine. Take Excedrin just in case. On way to church, feel somewhat tired. Feel more and more tired through church. During Benediction (closing, for Heathens), feel lightheaded. Vision turns black & orange, fuzzes out completely. Hearing throbs, strange noises and confusion. Weak, shaky, can’t stand up. Sit in chair for a few minutes, feel sick. Stumble to bathroom, vomit mouthful of blood/phlegm/spit/black-beady substance into toilet. Shakey, kneel on floor for ten minutes. Fever apparently breaks, as cold sweat starts. Go to more private bathroom, some diah, diarh, diahrh, squirts, mostly solid. First notable BM in few days. Later, feel much better, though voice, cough, chest pain, phlegm still intact. Afternoon, more queasiness, no vomit. Rumbling stomach, but no BM. Dark yellow uring.

Now:
Chest pain worse. Feels like only one lung works. Periodical intense ‘rib poking lung’ feeling when inhaling. Trouble breathing deeply w/o coughing. Voice getting better. Ear feels normal. Normal BM.

Throughout the ordeal, urine alternates dark yellow/very little with clear/much. Obviously dehydrated, cannot stomach too much drink w/out feeling queasy. Hold down food just fine. Very, very cold, even though fully dressed, wrapped in blanket, house 70F.

Again, no medical or legal obligations to any replies. And it is very odd to talk a bout my poops, do decorum, please.

We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first “lost generation” nor today’s lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.

I’m definitely not in the medical field, but I’d say its time to head to your closest hospital. Actually, it seems it was time a number of days ago.

I am me… accept it or not.

My WAG: you’re sick.

Don’t want to here “Go see a doctor”?
Fine. Go see a physician. And don’t wait a week. Go today. Swallow you’re machismo and go. After all, you may be carrying something nasty to other people around you. Think of them. And go.

I’m no great fan of medical necessities either. But when I’m sick, I want to be cured - ergo, I travel to the folks who can help. My Doctor.

Do it. It’s too sever to be something trivial, and even if it is, at least you’ll know. Worry can be a health problem in and of itself.

-PIGEONMAN-
Hero For A New Millennium!

The Legend Of PigeonMan - updates every Wed & Sat. If I can be bothered.

if you are still alive, you really should take the advice of the above posters.

you’re not being an ironman, you’re just being stupid.
off topic: i really hate it when people decide to tough out a virus, go to work or church or whatever, sit right next to or behind me, then breathe and cough it all over the place. :frowning:

The bloke who sits opposite me at work started having traces of blood on his faeces a couple of months ago. He went to the doctor immediately. The tests discovered bowel cancer.

The surgeon told him they would have to operate, but that it was less than 50-50 that it would work.

The operation was a success, but he’s on chemotherapy for months to stop it recurring.

Throughout this ordeal, he kept a brave face and told me how vital it was to keep his family’s spirits up.

Homer:

• please see a doctor

• sorry, you need to redefine ‘Iron Man’. My friend is one; you’re (understandably) just scared. Do the brave thing - good luck!

Hate to be brutal, but it seems necessary: Homer, you are a moron. What the FUCK are you thinking with symptoms like those asking a bunch of people on a website what is going on with you??? You are SERIOUSLY ILL, man, get your ASS to a doctor, NOW.

Trust me, NO ONE IS IMPRESSED by your “toughing it out” - you don’t seem brave, you seem stupid, not to mention scared to death of what someone might tell you. You came here hoping to hear that it was just a touch of the flu. That kind of behavior is what gets people dead, butthead.

Good lord.

(By the way, I mean all of this in only the nicest, most caring way. And please… come back to this thread and tell us how you’re doing!)

Maybe it’s a delayed curse placed on you by the guys who stole your car stereo. [sarcasm]Ya know all them non-merican types have undiagnosed contagious diseases.[/sarcasm]

Get your ass to the doctor.

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

I have to second everyone’s posts here. When I find out that a sick person hasn’t been to the doctor, I lose a lot of respect for them. Why? Because they could be getting better and killing off the nasties, but instead they are out there passing it around and I DON’T WANT IT. Nor do I want my husband or my son to have it. Consider the fact that small children are at much greater risk of serious complications INCLUDING DEATH from serious illness… now think that every person you are in contact with might have a small child at home or somewhere they are in contact with… and consider that YOU MIGHT KILL SOMEONE. Ironman? Idiotman.

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Homer, seriously- Go today to a walk in clinic or the hospital- you could be playing with something really serious here. Don’t wait- go today. If you don’t have money (which I suspect you don’t, after the CD story) go to the ER and tell them about the spitting up blood part. They will likely treat you now and bill you later, which may work. Go now. Please

Click here for some GOOD news for a change

Zettecity

What you had was the flu with a possible mild Strep infection, matey. What ye now have, from pizzlin’ around like a friggin’ child instead of acting on your own behalf, is the beginning of lobar pneumonia.

What ye'll have in a week, left untreated, is a full-blown long-term hospitalization featuring such attractive potential side-effects as permanent scarring of the lungs, congestive heart failure, sterility, and in the extreme, headstones (which are like gallstones, only bigger, more decorative, and rather more permanent).

The body's a remarkable machine Homer, but it developed a brain for the sole reason of perceiving and responding to threats against it's corporeal existence. When yer very own, perfectly good blood is not staying in it's designated pathways, this can reliably be called a 'clue' that a threat is imminent. Sounds like yer body is doing it's job, sending up distress flares left and right, now it's up to yer brain to quit sayin', "Hey, lookit the pretty light show," and get on with the rescue operation.

Homer, you must go to the doctor.

In case this is the problem: I have insurance now, but I was uninsured for 12 years. During those 12 years, I had to go to lots of emergency rooms, since I have severe asthma. I was never once put down or hassled for not having insurance; I simply told the clipboard money people that I didn’t have it, and that was it. They will not hassle you or embarass you, and they’ll bill you later and allow you to make payment arrangements. If you write a letter explaining why you can’t pay, many hospitals will be even more cooperative (especially public or Catholic hospitals). And if they’re hardassed about it, well, you can’t give them what you don’t have.

Your life and the lives of people around you are more important than your finances. Get thee to a physician! Call an ambulance if you’re not safe to drive; they won’t even ask you about insurance.

Catrandom

I went to the doctor today after work. Pnemonia.

Thanks for everyone’s concern, but I never said I wouldn’t go, I just said that, or, more realistically, I SHOULD have said that I normally wait an extended time because I have a great record, and great constitution. Very rarely do I catch something that doesn’t clear up in a week, tops.

–Tim

We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first “lost generation” nor today’s lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.

Glad you went, and now you know what it is. Now take your antibiotics and go to bed :slight_smile:

Good call, Crick&Watson.

Catrandom

Now you have a great reputation as a reservoir of infection, Typhoid Homer.

Back off, man. I’m a scientist.

That kicked my ass, Alphagene. That was hilarious.

–Tim

“Oh, the doctor comes around with his face all bright
And he says in a little while you’ll be all right
All he gives is a humbug pill, a dose of dope and a great big bill,
Tell me, how can a poor man stand such times and live?”

Uke