Ovaltine—your opinion?

I love the chocolate malt Ovaltine mix (you know, the powder you stir into milk). It just tastes so much better than regular, non-malted chocolate milk, including the “rich chocolate” flavor Ovaltine also makes, so much so that I can’t drink normal chocolate milk anymore. Incidentally, the stuff is also pretty nutritious, as well—it’s fortified with all kinds of vitamins and minerals. However, everyone else in my family can’t stand the stuff. One person said it tastes like chocolate milk with beef bouillon in it (:confused:)! The only problem I’ve ever had with it is that it doesn’t dissolve all that well (and it doesn’t come with a Little Orphan Annie decoder ring ;)).

So, have you tried it, and what do you think about it? Note that I’m talking about the chocolate malt kind, not the one that is just malted with no chocolate, which is nasty.

Valete,
Vox Imperatoris

Yes, I agree. Chocalate Malted Ovaltine is yummy-licious. What more can I say? Oh- Make it with Really Really Cold milk.

I love Ovaltine – but the oxalates in it give me kidney stones. So no Ovaltine for me.

I have a bottle in my pantry right now. I’m a big Ovaltine fan.

“The mug is round, the jar is round…they should call in Roundtine!”

That’s from Seinfeld, by the way; in case someone out there didn’t know. As for Ovaltine, I used to love the stuff!

Always.

Valete,
Vox Imperatoris

We’re a Chocolate Malted Ovaltine house. My kids love it though my wife was a Quick fan and I grew up on Hershey’s Chocolate syrup. I actually prefer Chocolate Malted Ovaltine myself on the rare occasions I want a chocolate milk.

I love it enough that I don’t buy it, because it, and the gallon of milk I buy to go with it, will be gone in two days.

I’ve never tried Ovaltine, but I don’t forget it. I had no idea what it even was, and Ralphie’s reaction to the decoder ring ad in A Christmas Story had me thinking it was something awful-tasting.

“That’s gold, Jerry! GOLD!!”

“Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.” A crummy commercial? Son of a bitch!

I think it’s gross and doesn’t taste much like any other chocolate milk I’ve ever had. My mother, on the other hand, insists it’s the best of any brand.

I love it. I get the malted kind and the chocolate kind, for variety, and I have a glass every morning with breakfast.

Lately I’ve gotten into the habit of having a glass at night after dinner when I get a sweet tooth instead of having ice cream.

I love me some chocolate malted stuff, but I’m not all that impressed with Ovaltine. It doesn’t dissolve very well, and the taste is…odd. I wouldn’t say it tastes like it has beef bouillon in it, but it does have that same weird sort of undertaste that things made with bouillon cubes has.

My all-time favorite is the Walmart brand chocolate soy milk. It’s really rich and chocolatey.

Ovaltine? Hersey’s Syrup? Bah I tell you!!! Blasphemy!!

Growing up there was and still is only one true chocolate milk mix, that being Nestle’s Quick (or, if you must, Nesquik).

All others are communism!

Though Strawberry Quick is a product of Satan… :smiley: