Papayas, hot dogs, and NYC

What’s the deal with combo papaya juice/hot dog restaurants in NYC? I don’t see any other restaurants serving papaya juice (cept mebbe juice bars) and have never seen this combo outside of NYC, where there are at least two chains (Grey’s Papaya, Papaya King) famous for this. Am I missing something by not chasing my Oscar Meyer with a big frosty glass of papaya juice?

Oh, Papaya King. You should try it, Mojo. It’s so wonderful, a nice hot weiner dog in a bun with mustard and onions, washed down with papaya juice. Like the ginger ale ad says, it’s not too sweet, and it’s nice and frothy.

Mmmmmmm.

One of the (few) things I miss about not living in NYC any more. I didn’t make it there on my last visit; have one for me, won’t you?

Damn, I’m hungry now.

Huh.

I always figured it was a sop to young parents. They make you a deal, like two franks and a papaya juice for a buck seventy-five or something, and you give the juice to your kid to keep him occupied while you’re eating the hot dogs.

Here in Seattle it is hot dogs and espresso, of course.

There are espresso stands on every corner here, but the one next to the new Home Depot is called “Java Dog”. And we just saw one with a “Hot Dogs and Espresso” sign while passing through tiny little town near Bellingham.

My wife and I were trying to figure what the connection was. I’m not a coffee drinker so I don’t know how they actually taste together, but my theory is that you get served fast. Pump out the coffee, through a dog on a bun, and you’re outta there!

De gustibus non est disputandem

Or you can throw the dog on the bun. The other sounds vaguely obscene.