Pit daylight savings time here!

The master has spoken.

AS for me, I like DST. Let’s keep it. If you don’t like it, move to AZ.

Originally posted by LilyoftheValley

heh. Put a blanket in front of the window.
I’m serious. It helped with my son. :slight_smile:

Cats don’t give a hoohah whether it’s light or dark, though.

elucidator, I’ve read your post three times. I don’t get it. Could you please elucidate?

One would think that the bars would stay open an hour longer because of the change, but NO! Them jackasses at the NIST just have to make it at 0200, just after everything closes down around here.

Jeezus, I could have used another beer last night. Thanks a LOT, Uncle Sam! :mad:

Tripler
Dang, I was thirsty for another beer.

“Changing the clocks” is a real pain in the ass when you collect watches. Only about a quarter of my collection is wind-ups. Blarg.

I have an atomic solar wristwatch that automatically did it for me.
I am still incredibly pleased with that. (G-Shock Wave Ceptor)
It synchronizes with the atomic clock, and is powered from the mighty SUN! It’s my fourth G-Shock. (Retired from age at 6, retired due to collision with bus, retired due to battery failure when I hit the light), and they’ve all been quite amazing.

Old joke, shamelessly offered. Of course, the actual amount of sunshine is unaffected by DST. I know that. Pretending I don’t.

This is my favorite week of the year. I love it when my body feels like it’s 4:00, but it’s actually 3:00. It’s like I’ve been given an extra hour of life. And since I’m a big time night person, I love it when it gets dark early.

I’m also changing rotations (as I do every month), and I’m going from the clinic, where I have to be there at 8:30, to morning ER coverage, where I have to be there at 7:30. So the timing couldn’t be better!

If you want to hear bitching about DST, get in my general vicinity about this time six months from now.

Caused me to miss the new ep of South Park. See, I didn’t know there was going to be one until after 10pm on Wednesday, and I’ve been missing the rebroadcasts ever since. Went to a Halloween party last night and set the timer for 3am. Came back to find that, while the DVD recorder had automatically set itself back, the cable company (or just Comedy Central?) had carried on with normal programming. So SP had been broadcast at the “real” 3am, not the adjusted one. :mad:

One more chance at 11 tonight. If I don’t get to see this episode before the election, the terrorists have won.

elucidator, Thanks. :slight_smile: But what are morning glories? [sorry to be a pain]

hires five-year-ols to reset vcrs

Morning glories are a type of flower.

Thanks Gorsnak.

:: leaving the pit - totally bewildered:: …

Am I allowed to hate both Standard Time and Daylight Saving Time?

I hate DST in principle. It was a stupid idea to begin, and it’s far stupider now. I especially hate it in these northern latitudes, because in midsummer the already-abnormal 9:00 p.m. twilight becomes a totally freakish, Alaskan 10:00 p.m. twilight. I do not enjoy going to bed when the sun is still up, ever since I ceased being six.

But then having put up with DST for half the year, and gotten used to it, I hate Standard Time when it rolls around again. Just as the sunsets have been getting earlier and earlier, and you think it can’t get any worse, BAM, we’ll move them an hour earlier still. Don’t like darkness at 5:00 p.m.? How about 4:00 p.m.?

If people absolutely must tinker with time, the obvious way to tinker is to give that extra hour of daylight to winter afternoons, which need it most. Not to summer afternoons, which already had far too much daylight. Gah.

May I?
A lot of the time, when people are complaining about changing the clocks back, they say, “I hate losing an hour of sunlight.” Or they say their plants, crops, children, cats, whatever, need more daylight.
The point is, we have just as much sunlight as we always do, it just happens to be that the clock reads differently. Instead of that sunlight being between 7am and 6pm (for example), it is between 6am and 5pm—still 11 hours, just at a different time.

Gorsnak: Morning glories are a type of flower.

gum: Thanks Gorsnak. :: leaving the pit - totally bewildered:: …

Wait wait wait! gum, I know!! Come back!!!

It’s a sierwinde. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

(I always knew that hanging around the botanical gardens while studying Dutch would somehow come in handy.) :slight_smile:

Thank you, lorene :slight_smile:

What about the “on-line” thing, though. elucidator wrote

[italics mine]

Where the heck do you get morning glories on-line? Amazon?

Will the hour difference affect the shipping price?

hehehe :slight_smile:

Thanks Kimstu. That’s awesome!

My problem with the time change is that I have roughly eleventeen-billion electronic doodads that tell the time that all need to be changed by hand.

Let’s see. Off the top of my head, there’s: the computer (changes automatically, actually), the TV, VCR, DVD player, stereo, palm pilot, mp3 player, watch, alarm clock, microwave, car radio, phone, and a few miscellaneous clocks. I’m sure there are more. And, of course, since I only have to do this every six months, I have to re-figure out how to do it on all these gadgets.

Why must every electronics manufacturer throw a clock function into everything they churn out?!

I say again - why are you complaining now??? You are now on STANDARD TIME - all you people who hate DST should be happy!

And it’s not Daylight SAVINGS Time, for fuck’s sake.

I don’t know why anyone’s complaining now either. Gaining an extra hour is a pretty sweet deal for me. It does not, however, make up for the excessive amount of suckiness (that’s a technical term) doled out to us in the springtime, as an hour lost is annoying at best and dangerous at worst.

I’ll put it this way: I forgot to reset the clocks last night. When I woke up this morning, I came downstairs, got on the computer to do the pre-work email check, noticed that my (self-setting) computer clock said I was up an hour early, and put two and two together. In other words, it was a pleasant surprise, an hour of leisure time after a good night’s sleep.

Had I done the same in April, however, things might not have turned out so well. I envision getting out of bed, going downstairs, checking my email, noticing the clock, quickly checking the messages on the phone, and being informed that I’ve just been fired for being an hour late. In all likelihood, my current job wouldn’t actually fire me for that, but that isn’t the case for a good number of other people. Perhaps somebody somewhere had an important morning meeting with a client, got sidetracked the night of DST, and forgot to set the clock. Perhaps a lawyer was scheduled to wake up and head straight to trial to defend somebody. For them, the consequences would be far worse.

Yeah, in those last two examples, the responsibility of remembering DST falls squarely on the hypothetical characters’ shoulders, and I don’t claim otherwise. The thing is, in this day and age, DST is essentially arbitrary, and why even create the possibility of the above situations occuring? It’s as if the government is playing some sort of cruel mind game with us: “Remember, we’re changing your clocks for no particular reason tonight! Don’t forget, or you’ll screw yourself over! Enjoy!” It is a fairly difficult thing to forget, what with all the reminders everyone gives each other to prevent exactly this type of thing, but all it takes is one moment of loosened grasp upon the fact, and that happens to us all.

So yeah, I pit Daylight Saving Time. How about Anxiety Saving Time, instead? Under AST, each day has 24 hours (imagine that!), and you don’t have to worry about whether or not there will be an unexpected overnight temporal shift that will fuck you over. Sound good to anyone else?