Poe's Second Law

As most Internet regulars are aware, there are a set of tongue-in-cheek “laws” pronounced by regulars on message boards and the like, such as Godwin’s Law, promulgtated by Mike Godwin in 1990: “As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.”

Our very own Gaudere produced her law in 2000 here.

Netizen Nathan Poe similarly came up with Poe’s Law, which states: “Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won’t mistake for the real thing."

I participated in a thread at Christian Forums in which Nathan Poe came up with his Second Law: “Poe’s Second Law: The amount of punctuation at the end of a post is directly proportional to the level of hysterics – and inversely proportional to the number of facts.” Source here.

Just keeping people informed… :slight_smile:

I’d say something about your thread title, but there’s no way to do so without invoking Gaudere’s Law.

Just for anyone who’s wondering what the heck It’s Not Rocket Surgery! is talking about:

The original title of this thread was, “Poe’s Secpmd Law,” but Marley fixed it for the OP. It’s Not Rocket Surgery!'s post came before that fix.

Thanks, Marley and Wombat. I have issues with vision at present; all help in reporting typoes and such is appreciated. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t sure if it was humor or a typo, so I’m glad I at least guessed right.

Check out The Poe Paradox - it is too tooo wonderful.

Well, I apologize! I’d glad I didn’t get smarmy!

I’m kind of annoyed about this whole Poe’s Law thing, because I was attempting to get a very similar law (“Lamia’s Law”) recognized several years earlier:

I still think mine is better, because it doesn’t limit things to Fundamentalism. Fundamentalists are far from the only nutty people on the Internet.

I can’t vouch for the veracity, but this guy claims to be THE Nathan Poe.

Talk about your synchronicity; I was just browsing Free Ratio and saw the thread there, and went, “Hey - didn’t I just see something about Poe’s Law on the Dope?”

Typos.

You only think you’ve evaded Gaudere’s Law, jjimm!! :smiley:

I’m too vigilant. Gaudere will never catch up withme.

Hmm… I think Gaudere was just waiting for you to slip up… can we get a ruling here?

Can you here that whoshing sound? :wink: