Poll: Who's watching the debate tonight?

That’s going to happen anyway, but not in this thread. I guarantee there will be a live debate thread in GD, MPSIMS, or possibly the Pit.

It’s my birthday and watching the debate is part of my celebration. :slight_smile:

Of course I’m going to watch it. The only problem is that my wife is in pre-labor. I might end up watching it in the delivery room.

My girlfriend is visiting. We will watch as much of it as she can tolerate. Might be all of it. Might not. Ain’t up to me.

But I’ll leave it on the TiVo and come back to it as necessary.

I’m probably going to a debate party, but more than likely will end up tired of watching it with other people and will retreat to watch it on cnn.com alone.

It’s going to be on all the broadcast networks, you don’t need to have cable.

I am watching. The domestic policy organization here at the public policy school is organizing a viewing party.

I will be. I made sure to pick up booze at the store too.

No antenna either. I’m moving in two weeks not going to buy an antenna for one program.

Think I am going to a friends’ house to watch it and drink margaritas.

I kinda really want to watch it, but I won’t get home from work until after 10, and I refuse to record anything on TV (therefore no DVR even if I wanted to make an exception) I’m sure the whole thing will be online in no time.

If you miss it, I understand ABC will rebroadcast it Sunday afternoon. (or so it was reported.)

I have to work tonight until 8, and i probably won’t be home until 9, but I’m going to have my husband record it. We’re going to eat greek food and drink rum. It should be a good time.

Me, too. I will be watching it very seriously, having no great bias for or against either candidate. I think debates are boring as shit most of the time, but I feel obliged to watch it as part of my personal decision-making process.

And I thought it was pretty good, BTW. Neither candidate blew the other out of the water, and neither candidate embarrassed himself. Some interesting points made.

Not me. I had some good single-malt and worked on a website for an online course I’m teaching that starts Monday. I knew before I even read to the end of the associated thread here that it would be considered a draw on this board, and I anticipate that tomorrow’s headlines will scream “McCain Wins Debate.”

I watched as a matter of Duty. After a hellish week I just couldn’t summon up much enthusiasm about it when what I really wanted was a long soak followed stretching out with a good book. Delayed gratification is sweeter, delayed gratification…

It came out pretty well, I thought. Both seemed a bit flat but hey, could be just contrast to all the will-it/won’t-it-come-off hoopla preceding. No real slam dunks in sight. Both acquitted themselves pretty well. I did wish Obama would stop saying, “John is right” because that’s sure to be used against him in sound bytes. I did appreciate the overall civility.

Did anybody else notice that Obama and McCain wouldn’t look at each other? They spoke strictly to the moderator, period. No biggie, just thought it was a bit odd.

Now I’m off for that long, luxurious soak.

Say ‘good night’, Gracie.

Both men came across as thoughtful and more aggressive than I imagined they’d be. Neither seemed ignorant on any matter, though McCain seemed more knowledgeable re foreign affairs.

Obama gets negative points for briniging up the first unrelated to the question cheap shot at McCain.

McCain gets negative points for bringing up the first unrelated “very special story of the debate” about his soldier’s bracelet.

McCain gets negative points for constantly harping on Obama’s naivete. I do like that he’s straight forward but the commander in chief should have a diplomatic side as well a la Clinton or Reagan. Obama is much more diplomatic.

It really struck me how short Obama’s track record really is. Only 4 years in the Senate is woefully little experience. His inexperience worries me, esp since he hasn’t had a lot of time to build key relationships with the Congressman who he’ll need to work with.

McCain came across as more antagonistic; Obama came across as more defensive, esp in the beginning, which surprised me. He kept interrupting McCain when it wasn’t his turn. Surprising because everyone was worried that McCain would lose his temper.

I agree with McCain on the economy and that tax breaks for business encourage them to stay. I’ve seen that in action on both a local and international level and businesses will always gravitate to the place with the lowest tax rate. I agree with him on reducing waste in government. The fact that Obama asked for nearly a billion in pork barrel programs was a salient point. I agree with him that the people responsible for our current economic pickle on Wall Street and our government should be held accountable.

I was surprised that Obama would pick on McCain for his votes on energy. Arizona is one of the most forward thinking states in terms of environment and energy, in part due to McCain’s leadership. There are plenty of things to pick on. Energy isn’t one of them.

I was surprised that neither men seemed willing to address the bail-out on the table now.

I expected McCain’s position on Iraq and Afghanistan. It surprised me that Obama said that wanted to beef up troops in Afghanistan.

I agree with Obama that the “Let’s turn our backs and ignore them” policy of dealing with N. Korea is sophomoric and counter productive.

Ack. I like them both. I thnk they’re both honest, earnest men. I want to hear more about their domestic policies, esp. the economy and health care.

I agree with every word. I’m Jodi, and I endorse this message. :wink:

I watched the whole thing attentively and was pleasantly surprised. They actually debated to a reasonable extent instead of posturing for the camera!

Valete,
Vox Imperatoris

My wife and I listened to it on 3 different NPR station while driving to Gettysburg.

I thought overall they both did well. McCain did nothing to embarrass himself but his key talking points got a little old. He overplayed the “naive” phrases, the sappy HRC style “people I have met/wristband stuff” and not “Miss Congeniality”

I think they both did well. I don’t think either won any major points. I think both are refreshing after Bush and Kerry.

I will still be voting for Obama.