Poll:Women with erect nipples visible under clothes: sexy/embarrassing/unprofessional/ no big deal?

And sometimes they just happen. It can be hard to control them. You can go out the door looking fine and then have some nipplage later on…I don’t try to emphasize them but I don’t freak out if they happen.

I can understand your perspective (I assume you’re male) but speaking as a larger-endowed woman, it can hurt to go braless; the girls can yank downward on your skin. Also going braless will make you saggier as time goes by. Besides, don’t you think there’s some awfully pretty bras out there?

Hasn’t this been disproven by now?

I guess so, but we never get to see them because you keep wearing shirts.

Has it? I hadn’t heard that.

I don’t know if it’s truly been disproven, but I have heard that there’s no real evidence to support the idea that wearing a bra will prevent sagging breasts. And if you think about it there’s really no reason it should. I mean, a bra supports the breasts while it’s being worn, but once it’s off then it’s not doing anything to help 'em defy gravity.

That’s pretty ignorant of what actually happens, as the experiences of many of the women in this thread have pointed out. It’s not just a situation that happens with no bra and a silk blouse. It can happen with normal shirts, with extra padded bras, in any situation. That’s why I think it’s silly to ascribe this whole “unprofessional” idea to the fact that it happens. It’s like asking “Are goosebumps unprofessional?” Embarrassing, sure, but unprofessional? Only if you’re doing it on purpose to violate the norms of an office environment.

I have to say that I’m quite surprised (and the little feminazi dyke inside of me is quite disappointed) at how many self-reporting women think they are any sort of an issue.

What’s next? Trying to hide your goosebumps when you’re cold for fear that someone who sees them might imagine what your body’s reaction elsewhere might be behind the wad of whatever extra stuff you have in your bra?

Can’t vote…poor choices.

I’m a guy and i find the pokey nipple thing to be kind of a turn-on. With regards to the poll…

[ul]
[li]In a social or casual setting, I think it’s up to a person how they want to present themself.[/li][li]In a professional setting, on an rare/occasional basis, I chalk it up to “one of those things that happen sometimes.”[/li][li]In a professional setting, on a regular basis, it would be a problem for me to constantly make the effort to not look. Kinda like wearing something very cleavagey at work.[/ul][/li]With respect to how charged sexual harassment claims can be, the workplace can be like navigating a minefield if attire gets too provocative. I don’t want to be disrespectful to anyone for any reason; but at the same time, there are certain ladythings that have always had an impact on me.

I could cut glass with mine. Padded bras and sweaters and they’re still visible. It’s annoying, but unless they turn the heat way up, I can’t help it.

There have been a couple studies on the subject - nothing has found that wearing bras has a protective effect.

Sagging is much more a function of breast tissue variation (some women have dense/firmer boobs), skin and ligament elasticity, and hormonal and weight changes than it is of ‘gravity’. So it comes down to genetics, how many babies you have, and your weight for most women IMO. I’ve seen just as many low-set small boobs as big ones in my day, and plenty of young girls have significant sagging from puberty onwards.

It’s not the going braless part; it’s the time going by part.

I’m astonished at how many women in this thread must wear a bra because otherwise the men become turned on (and how often even that isn’t enough); and how many men are distracted or turned on by visible nipples - not cleavage, not breasts, just nipples. With onomopoteia as truly WTF? experience.

It seems that professionally, women should all dress as nuns in sacks, because everything else will turn men in horny beasts unable to control themselves, and consider the women slutty or unprofessionel for causing them this.

I’m really, really, going to stay far away from male Americans …

I’m astonished at how you totally made that up.

For what it’s worth, I’m a woman and think that such a thing is inappropriate in professional setting. Too distracting.

Overall I agree with this. However, more often than not the phenomenon causes part of my mind to focus, temporarily, on unprofessional things. The long term effect on my opinion of the owner is negligible.

Hell, mine pop out from time to time–it’s hardly intentional.

Clue: the right woman in a burlap bag, burqua or separate room will have the same effect. Start dressing chix up like nuns and you’ll heat up the whole family of Catholic fetishes.

mmmm…nuns.

Yes, to clarify, I’m pretty sure that’s what I read as well (no evidence showing that it helps).

Actually, what surprised me was that the evidence didn’t show that wearing a bra makes the breasts sag faster - it’s just inconclusive; based on other areas of the body, I’d expected that supporting soft tissue for a long part of the day would lessen the muscle support and weaken the tissue, making it sag faster. That’s what happens elsewhere, even in the neck (the Giraffe women) which has pretty strong muscles, yet they atrophy over the years of non-use.

Good idea. Except, it’s not limited to (i) males, or (ii) Americans.

Grownup here. No big deal.