Possible LA or Phoenix Dopefest in May?

Like Hercule Poirot replied to an annoying Englishman:

I’m not a bloddy French! I’m a Belgian! :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Yes, many do think spicy foods are the preferred thing for Central Americans like the Mexicans. There is indeed a good number of people that prefer spicy stuff in El Salvador, but it is not the norm like it virtually is in Mexico.

And I did like the shrimp, so the spicy stuff is not going to stop me from going back to Los Dos Molinos; so don’t worry Cisco, as a location for the Desertfest, it has my vote.

Gotcha :cool:

Somethig just hit me… :smack:

I just realized that I have to recommend the best Salvadorian cuisine in town!:

Eliana’s
1627 N. 24th St., Phoenix.

Go for the pupusas, that is: a thick stuffed corn tortilla with cheese or pork. That sounds simple and plain, but believe me, it is not!

If we can get Heloise or Coldfire to decide soon, I may get a special deal for a group.

Heloise, Coldfire? What would your fancy be?

My offer to pay for your dinner stands.

:eek: Oh I am so there tomorrow if they serve lunch. That’s pretty close to my apartment.

Well, it looks like Saturday, April 30 will be the best day for us in Phoenix, so let’s plan that.

As for cuisine: Gah, both places sound great. It’s not fair to ask us to choose! How about a vote from all who can attend?

Well, I have to now vote for Eliana’s, with my contacts, I can see if I can get a good deal for a group.

Just to make a case for Eliana’s: The pupusas are served with a helping of curtido, a sometimes spicy cabbage condiment that is a complement for them.

Also try the Platano Frito con Frijoles y Crema, another longtime favorite, combines sauteed ripe plantains with Salvadorean cream and smoky-smooth refried beans.

Yuca Frita o Cocida con Chicharron, that is cassava root fried or boiled with pork, is another standard.

And of course: Salvadoran beers, or orchata (barley-based drink with cinnamon) for drinks.

Listing all that is making hungry as a cadejo wolf!

I am headed that way today, uh, only to see what deals I could get and to see if there are no problems for that date… :slight_smile:

You’ve sold me. I’ll vote for there.

Do you know if they serve lunch, GIGO? I’m starving at the moment and I’d like to check this place out.

They are open today until 9:00 pm, pupusas and the other meals are available anytime.

I went to Eliana’s today.

I have to say the food was very good and the service was excellent. Extremely nice people.

As for a DopeFest though . . . I hate to say this but I think Los Dos has 1,000 times the atmosphere and accommodations for that type of thing.

Elian’s is kind of small, with just the standard 4-seat booths and a few small freestanding tables in the middle. Also, they do not serve alcohol, not even beer.

You guys are completely free to decide but I just wanted to let you know.

I’ve put Eliana’s on my list of places to try when I get a chance, but I think Cisco makes a very valid point about overwhelming the facilities. I’ll put my pebble in the Los Dos Molinas Jar.

Woops, I guess my memory failed me there, sorry Cisco; yes there is no beer in Eliana’s, that was another Salvadoran restaurant (The Crazy pupusa?) of course confirming that was ok, (we need a contented stuffed smilie here)

Well, that simplifies things, It is back to Los Dos Molinos.

Not necessarily. I mean, given usual turnout of Phoenix Dopefests, Eliana’s may well be big enough.

Then again, they don’t have margaritas, do they?

Nope, no margaritas either. I got the news the owner has been trying to get the alcohol permit, but so far they have to concentrate on a family environment. So, this is one more reason why to pick Los Dos Molinos. If no one offers, I will check with the restaurant for reservations a few weeks before the dopefest.

Just to save you from getting yelled at by the queen owner lady when you call, I should let you know that they absolutely, positively, do not take reservations :D.

Hm, maybe just a phone call before the event then, to say, “I know you don’t take reservations, but FYI, there’s a large party coming in.” Is that possible?

Although Eliana’s sounds nice, the no-alcohol is a bit of a letdown. How late is the Los Dos open?

Los Dos is an experience unto its own. For the last DopeFest we did lunch, but I’ve been back several times since then for dinner and it’s a hell of a good time.

What you do is show up on a Saturday around 6pm and put your name on the list. You will be told there is a 2-3 hour wait. Walk back outside into the courtyard and there is a fountain and several tables to sit at. On the opposite side of the courtyard is a bar that serves beers, margiritas, chips & salsa, and guacamole. Proceed to get smashed and have a good time with your friends for the waiting period, then go inside and eat some of the best Mexican food you’ve ever had in your life. The few hours you’re there for dinner will make for a full “night out” for just about anyone but the most hardcore party animals.

I’m definitely up for dinner at Los Dos, that is, if you guys are into that sort of thing :).

I gotta say that Los Dos Molinos sounds very nice indeed.

Alcohol, whilst not strictly necessary, is a definite plus. You think I’m visiting Phoenix for the scenery or the nice weather, or something? No man, I’m down there to visit my in-laws. I’ll need plenty of booze. :smiley:

Plus, being a Dutchman, I have a thing for windmills anyway!

That would work well for TheLadyLion and I. I’ll make sure Mauvaise and Strainger are in on it too.

They’re actually “grinders” but you’re pretty much spot-on the translation. Do you speak Spanish?