Possibly the vaguest song description. Please help?

I’ve been trying to find this song for so long without any luck. By now, I’ve lost the melody entirely, and have so little to say about it at this point, that I’d be absolutely shocked if someone got it. Please save me from the torment! THANK YOU.

For the vaguest description ever: You’d find this song in the same world as The Dixie Cups’ “IKO IKO,” or even Harry Belafonte’s pop songs. The last time someone mentioned the song (who now can’t remember what song we were talking about), they said it was from the 60s, which was a surprise to me because I remembered it sounding later than that. It’s a catchy, pop song, with a longish form melody. While it definitely has popularity, it’s just slightly unconventional enough to perhaps escape billboard charting. Something you’d hear in a film or the radio. I would imagine it’s performed by a girl group but doesn’t really share those 60s girl group conventions in sound. At this point, who knows if it even is from the 60s, but it sure as hell isn’t from after 1985.

Please! Any help will do.

“I Met Him on a Sunday” by the Shirelles.

Dude, I’m pretty good at this sort of thing, but you’ve given absolutely no information other than a) it’s a song and b) it might be sung by a female.

Good luck.

Just a stab in the dark here, but “I Met Him on a Sunday”, by the Shirelles?

“Reach out in the Darkness” by Friends and Lovers

My hunch is that it was one of the Shirelles’ songs.

Karnak tears open the envelope, and blows

“Do you wanna hold me?” by Bow Wow Wow

How about Sally Go Round the Roses by the Jaynettes?

Can you remember if you’ve heard it on the radio?
Can you determine if the singers were black or white?

Wish Someone Would Care by Irma Thomas.

damn. You guys are doing well. I would have definitely given the Shirelles’ “I met him on a Sunday” too given the description, but sadly, it’s not. I’ve definitely heard it on the radio at some point in my life, but with hardly any frequency. You guys have gotten pretty close with “I met him on a Sunday” and “Do you wanna hold me?” Bow Wow Wow. Maybe a sort of cross between the two. It’s definitely on the slightly kookier side of things, and a tiny bit more upbeat and joyful than “I met him on a Sunday.” Keep posting, it’s really helping me get closer.

Do you wanna hold me?" by Bow Wow Wow is probably the closest its gotten, but perhaps slightly more vintage sounding, production wise.

You should put some of those suggestions into Pandora and see if you get lucky.

“Rio” by Duran Duran.

There’s only one song that matches your description perfectly: “Da Doo Ron Ron” by the Crystals.

If that’s not it, I give up.

Here.

You mentioned Iko Iko and Harry Belafonte, so I’m guessing it has an “islands” kind of feel to it, with a pretty, light melody. Am I getting any warmer? There are so many overlooked gems of that era, so this is just a shot in the dark, but could it be…?

“Pata Pata” by Miriam Makeba?

Just as another wild guess… “I Eat Cannibal"by Total Coehlo (sic?)”

My best guess: Mr. Lee, by the Bobbettes.

Can you remember any lyrics at ALL? :dubious:

It could be that song by the Singing Nun. I assume you’re talking US rock in the early years (50s-60s)? Is it sung in English? You’ve given us so little to go on! (Could be instrumental?)