Post Here if You Think Colby is An IDIOT (spoiler)

Sure with 20/20 hindsight it would seem he was stupid to choose Tina. Fact of the matter is only about half of the people voted. Maybe it would have changed had 14 people voted instead of 7, see?

Living Dead Girl - Jerri’s attitude (which I found irritating more than anything…albeit incredibly irritating) got her absolutely railroaded. She’s had a lot of time to reflect on this. I can imagine that she’d tone it down for the reunion. I mean, what’s to gain?

jarbabyj - Thanks…just pointing out what any perceptive viewer would have. And yes, in retrospect his victory over Keith, although probably likely, was hardly a lock. Those must have been some real bitter feelings for Colby to knock him out before the end, but hey, it’s Survivor, what do you expect?

Oh, and don’t worry about…er…your panties. It’s understandable. :smiley:

Anybody else notice that Survivor 2 is a metaphor for the 2000 Presidential election? Tennessee vs. Texas, and it came down to a very close vote. This time, however, Tennessee won.

-Myron

I wish someone would have to change her panties because of me. :frowning:

tell ya what, go to australia, get a tan, lose 25 pounds, don’t shave, then come back here, throw me over a wall and use me as your stool and we’ll see what happens.

Is it just me…or was Colby a tad sexier when he was ‘rugged starving man’. He looks a little thick these days.

And PunditLisa, I’m happy to say that the southern men I regularly interact with are polite to both men AND women, funny, smart and not racist. Let’s hope the stereotype can start to crumble.
jarbaby

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by jarbabyj *

Specifically, I was really, really disappointed that I had to suffer watching the ever obnoxiously smug bastard Bryant Gumbell(sp) for an hour and that ass didn’t give me what I wanted. One goddamn question for Jerri about Keith or vice-versa. AaAAAargh!

(and I felt sorry for whatshername…the one who was kicked off first)

Fenris

While we’re at it, why’s everyone so sure that Colby would win against Keith?
I don’t see anyone changing their vote against Colby, so Keith would get all of Elizabeth’s votes. Think of the breakdown this way:
Amber: Colby (since she did anyway)
Rodger: Colby (since he did anyway)
Nick: Colby (since he did anyway)
Tina: Keith(Colby backstabbed her and tossed her out)
Alica: Keith She seemed to get along with him
Elizabeth: Keith, just a hunch.
Jerri: goes insane if forced to vote for one of 'em. Hates Keith, hates Colby more. Maybe. Probably goes for Keith since Colby backstabbed her. Unforgiveable.

Fenris

DKW: I actually thought of it the opposite way - I mean, what’s to lose? She’ll never get another chance to say anything to their faces, and she’s lost already, so why not? But I think it was her pride that held her back more than anything - she set up the question so that Colby was forced to apologize, and when it backfired, she got a bruised ego. With Susan it turned into bitchiness, and with her it seemed to embarrass her enough for her to be quiet… for once. Too bad they didn’t try that before, eh? :wink:

There’s a post-Survivor life way beyond the money.

For the rest of his life Colby is going to meet people who will respect him for his [old-fashioned term that nobody will understand] sportsmanship [/old fashioned term that nobody will understand] and gallantry etc. He will have a real respect from millions who have never met him.

Rodger, Elisabeth and Tina share this, and (I suppose)Keith, and from Survivor 1, Rudy.

But Sue and Kelly and Richard and - my goodness, I can’t remember any others from Survivor 1 - well they don’t share it.

And poor Jerri. Romantically, she is going to spend the rest of her life meeting men who will know in advance about her nature, and will feel any bad treatment is justified, because of it. And women who will just hate her. Her charm is worn through already.

So, WildestBill, Colby is a smart cookie in my book.
Redboss

PS jarbabyj - it’s not so much that you open a lot of threads, as that a lot are opened about you! Jealousy is a curse for some ain’t it? Oh babe, ignore them and you go, girl, you go!

I thought this was one of the lowest moments of that show. It seemed to me she was reading cue cards, at the very least she had written this beforehand.

I think that the real question is whether Colby’s goals were idiotic (in one’s personal opinion) or whether he wanted to win the game above all else, in which case, he IS an idiot for making the choice he did, presuming for the sake of argument that his chances were better against Keith than Tina.

However, if one assumes that his motives were as others have stated here: that he wanted to ensure someone who he respected got a sure $100K, or did not want to give Keith that sure $100K (even if all this made it less likely that he might walk away with the million), then he made the sensible decision, given his priorities. (It should also be noted that in his speeches, he virtually conceded the title to Tina, saying that he felt she played the game better, etc, etc.)

I’ll say this, though. If Colby put other factors ahead of winning the game, he may have the right to do this but he certainly wasn’t playing the game as it was intended to be played: “Outlast. Outwit. Outplay.”

Except that the game is really only a popularity contest when it comes down to it: Colby just proved it by winning what…5 immunity challenges in a row, and still losing? The phrase should be “Outshmooze. OutSuckUp. OutGladhand.” :smiley:

Fenris

Well, Fenris, even assuming that it IS a popularity contest, Colby probably should still have picked Tina to be booted, and not Keith.

Or better yet, stage managed it so Jerri was in the final two with him.

Can you all imagine if it was Jerri that kept winning immunity and made it into the final two. Wouldn’t you like to be the one opposing her for the jury of seven to decide?
:slight_smile:

Well, just gotta say that I for one am fascinated by the number of posters who not only feel that Colby was foolish for not making the vote that was most likely to get him the million, but are actually offended that he did so. I weep for the degeneracy of a society that, despite almost unmeasurable monetary wealth, somehow finds generosity and a sense of ethics to be a sign of stupidity.

I cant wait for Survivor II on video. They have Survivor I on video. No censorship. Funny. Maybe it’ll give us some more clues on this Colby situation.

I wish Kimmi stayed 4 more days cause she was gonna bare all on her birthday.

I think Nick raised an interesting issue with his question. If Michael had not been taken off the show by his injury, what would have happened?

In my opinion, Michael’s injury was the only thing that saved Ogakor. They were stumbling and appeared to be heading for another immunity challenge defeat. I think it’s obvious Jerri would have been the next to go. Amber, Colby, Keith, and Tina would then have joined the new tribe with Alicia, Elisabeth, Jeff, Michael, Nick, and Rodger.

The four ex-Ogakors would have been almost guaranteed to get voted off one by one. Colby’s talent for winning immunities would have been offset by his obvious skill at the same; the first week he didn’t have the necklace, he’d have been gone.

At that point, how do you think things would have gone? Elisabeth and Rodger would obviously have worked together. Michael seemed to be working with them as well, but had to realize that he was the third man in this group as well as being less popular than either of the other two. Alicia and Jeff also had a loose alliance. Nick appeared to be a loner, but he could have become like Colby in the right circumstances and survived by winning a string of challenges.

Who do you think would have been the final two and the big winner?

I must say that I’m surprised at the number of people who defend Colby’s decision. While I understand that he’s good-looking and seems to have a magnetic personality, I just don’t see the reasoning behind his thinking. Everyone is there to win the game. Let’s face it, he totally f-ed up. The “joy” that he showed when Tina won was just masking the system shock that he was experiencing at the time.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that he would have been any less marketable had he chosen Keith. In fact, I believe that he would’ve been much more marketable if he had won. You don’t see silver medalists on Wheaties boxes. And you sure as hell don’t find people who make stupid decisions promoting products of any kind.

Finally, those of you who are talking about generosity and a sense of ethics (Rocket88), please remember that this is a game. I’m not saying that what you practice in the game should be used in any other part of society. I would have been alot more impressed had Colby won the money and then donated it to charity or offered to split it with the others. Thats what generosity is about.

And ethics is a different matter. Face it, there was no place for ethics in this game. Nobody seemed to mind when Colby wasn’t “ethical” in dealing with Jeri, and Tina lack of ethics was viewed as “strategy”.

So no matter how you slice it or dice it, (maybe it was the effects of the hunger), Colby screwed up badly.

Hey doesn’t anyone like Keith? I would have voted for Keith over Tina or Colby.

And I did think Colby was a moron for picking Tina. He thought that he would have beaten her in the final vote. You can tell because he pretended to hard to be happy when the winner is announced. No one can be that happy when they just found out they lost $900,000.

Hoo boy…it appears Girth Vader has some fans. :slight_smile:

I defend Colby’s decision because it was his decision. No one else’s. He felt that Keith deserved to go. He must have been harboring doubts about his own chances. He considered all the options, and in the end the possibility of an easier shot at the million didn’t outweigh the obviously strong bond he’d built with Tina (and the utter humiliation on the outside chance that he actually lost to Keith). Jerri would have probably done the same thing. Or Keith, for that matter. Bottom line, Colby voted his conscience, and I’m glad he had the courage to do so. And Tina won it all. Try as I might, I’m having a hard time finding anything to be mad about here.

The big difference, from what I’ve seen, is that Colby and Tina genuinely liked each other, unlike the Tagi Alliance which banded together out of sheer necessity. Susan’s last speech, in particular, was positively gut-wrenching. This time the runner-up found something more important than money…yes, even $900,000. And Tina won. And she’s a very deserving winner. So what’s the problem?

Rocket, I think that’s unfair.

For 14 weeks every episode has beaten us over the head with the fact that the object of the game is to be ruthless when you have to be. I, for one, enjoyed the show immeasurably more because of the genuine friendships that seemed to spring up, even though some of them seemed antithetical to the game. I liked hearing about how they’ve visited each other’s families, or have stayed in touch. I suspect a lot of viewers feel the same way. They like happy endings, they like loyalty, they like sportsmanship.

But the point in this discussion is the sheer strategy of trying to win. Every survivor talked about that at some point when the camera was pointing their way. They all knew that was part of the game. From that standpoint it was “stupid” for Colby to have done something that jeopardized his chance to be the Ultimate Survivor. That doesn’t mean the posters here celebrate scheming as a character trait.

You do not subject yourself to something like Survivor without some desire to win and to play the game as necessary. I think it was cool that most of them took away something very different from it (in terms of what they learned about family, for example). But they all went there for a shot at the Big Bucks.

Finally, (and on a more general note) I think it’s barely been touched upon that Colby didn’t see what we saw. People’s self-perceptions are not always accurate, nor are they always good judges of others’ standings. Witness Jerri’s angst that she and Colby were even and equally well-liked until he pulled the coral thing. I nearly wet my pants laughing at that. It may not have been as obvious to Colby what his true chances were against either opponent. I still think loyalty to Tina and dislike of Keith played a big role, but he also lacked solid, impartial information on his own standing (and theirs) to add to the decision-making.