President Donald Trump: "Democrats Produce Mobs, Republicans Produce Jobs"

I think you shouldn’t ask questions if you don’t want to hear the answer.

What specific policies have Republicans enacted that created jobs?

My guess is that we’re referring to the huge tax cuts. These may have goosed the economy, at the cost of huge deficits during a time of surplus. Killing the deficit hawks in the Republican party might create new jobs on a temporary basis, okay, I’ll grant you that one. Any other policies that have actually created jobs?

On the flip side, which specific mobs have been created by which specific Democrats?

You say you think it’s accurate. Some examples would be peachy.

According to this (Job Creation by President: Number and Percent), the most jobs were created under the Clinton administration followed by the Obama administration. LBJ presided over the most jobs on a percentage basis for a two-term president (FDR created more from the depths of the Depression, but he had four terms). Number 3 was Reagan.

I don’t think you can really credit the president for job creation directly – there’s the world economy, external shocks, fiscal and monetary policy. I don’t really know how to correct for all those factors, but I’m not sure I need to in order to argue against a silly slogan.

So, I’d say that Trump’s “claim” about jobs is factually incorrect.

I don’t know what mobs he’s talking about either – the antifa idiots aren’t Democrats, they are usually anarchists. Trump’s campaign events chanting “lock her up, lock her up” seem mob-like to me (hey, whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Trump is all about that these days, both for Saudis and SCOTUS justices).

So, I’d say that Trump’s “claim” about mobs is unproven at best. I’d certainly like to see evidence that there are more Democratic mobs than Republican mobs these days. I’m not seeing it. Maybe in the '60s? Although, there were some pretty bad racist mobs in the '60s as well down south (to be fair, they were probably Democrats or Dixiecrats – parties change).

My economic situation is the same.

But my cognitive development has advanced to the stage of object permanence, so I actually have the mental capability to understand that this involves something beyond that.

Re-posted from the “Republicans can go straight to fucking hell” thread:

In before “SPLC is just a tool of the Left.”

I should note that what Gavin McInnes, the Proud Boys leader, was commemorating at the Republican HQ, was the assassination of a leftist Japanese legislator back in 1960. Civility!

Lately I’ve been discouraged by the realization that the human mind will believe anything as long as it is alliterative.

My retirement investments have lost 21k so far this month.

But what matters more is that the USA is now a laughing stock of the entire world. Civil liberties are going backwards. The environment and the future is threatened under this fool.

Trump hasn’t had time to destroy the economy. He inherited an economy that was already strong. I’ll concede that markets probably benefited from lower taxes and less regulation, but that’s a temporary stimulus, which we’re seeing now. There are serious underlying problems with the economy that are unavoidable, and he will be forced to confront them starting in 2019.

“Be a thinker, not a stinker.” - Apollo Creed

You don’t think the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 had an affect?

Note to all people who call for bipartisanship. The President of the United States has decided not to represent all the people but to declare war on the majority who disapprove of him.

He felt perfectly free to do so because he knew his supporters, including the OP, would back him on this. He also was completely confident that he - and his supporters - could get away with characterizing fighting back not as the legitimate response of people who have been attacked but as the natural evil of people who are beneath human.

In another thread we were talking about whether the use of “Japs” in WWII was a slur. Today, the propaganda arm of the Republican party refers to “Demonrats.” They’re expert in propaganda, having learned that demonizing the enemy works even if they’re the ones who launched the surprise attack.

Not surprisingly, the tide will turn at some point. Conservatives will be on the losing side politically. You know what will happen then? They’ll be bitter and resentful when the retribution comes. “What did we ever do to deserve this?” will be the plaintive cry heard over the land.

Bookmark this thread so that when HurricaneDitka starts that wail - and I guarantee he will - he can be answered.

They’re bitter and resentful right now, when they’re winning. Can’t expect they’ll improve when the worm turns.

Giving wheelbarrows full of money to people who already have rooms full of money doesn’t stimulate the economy. What are they going to do with the wheelbarrows of money that they couldn’t have done with the rooms full of money?

Yeah, the tax bill did throw some loose change at the rest of us, and that undoubtedly had a modest stimulating effect, which is probably getting more than canceled out by Trump’s trade war and tariffs.

Trump made a stupid rhyme, now it’s voting time!

The slogan is incorrect, but it rhymes and doesn’t have too many syllables. Republicans are gonna eat that shit up.

When I was a young thing, I remember children chanting, "Nixon, Nixon, he’s our man! McGovern belongs in the garbage can!" Even then, I recognized that rhyming was not evidence for or against a candidate.

We need Adlai badly.

Yeah, this is appealing to the deplorables’ preferred self-image and ability to dismiss any actual data to the contrary. The usual pep-rally stuff that amounts to ideology for them these days.

Exactly. If I was an owner of a company that made widgits, and got a great tax break what would I do with the money? Would I make more widgits, flood the market and lower the cost? Hire more people or raise wages? Why would I do that if there aren’t more people that are buying my widgits? Trickle down does not work. Competition for people that want and can afford your product does.

Ford’s stock is down 29% and is preparing to lay off 24,000 people. The CEO says it’s due to trumps trade policies and tariffs.

This will mostly hurt the people that Trump claimed he was going to help. He is screwing them whether he or they knows it or not. Yet the trump supporters still cheer him. What should we make of that?

I think I know why Trumps base did and still supports him, why do you think they support him HurricaneDitka?