Primetime Emmy nominations announced

The Wire is snubbed again for Best Drama. Sigh.

There’s a comprehensive list at emmys.tv but here are the big ones:

Best Drama series:

Boston Legal
Damages
Dexter
House
Lost
Mad Men

Best Comedy series:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Entourage
The Office
30 Rock
Two and a Half Men

Best Actor in a Drama:

Gabriel Byrne - In Treatment
Bryan Cranston - Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall - Dexter
Hugh Laurie - House
James Spader - Boston Legal

Best Actress in a Drama:

Glenn Close - Damages
Holly Hunter - Saving Grace
Sally Field - Brothers and Sisters
Mariska Hargitay - L&O:SVU

Best Actor in a Comedy:

Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock
Michael Carell - The Office
Lee Pace - Pushing Daisies
Tony Shalhoub - Monk
Charlie Sheen - Two and a Half Men

Best Actress in a Comedy:

Tina Fey - 30 Rock
America Ferrara - Ugly Betty
Julia Louis-Dreyfuss - The New Adventures of Old Christine
Mary-Louise Parker - Weeds
Christina Applegate - Samantha Who?

I’m glad to see Mad Men get nominated, and Cranston – he’s awesome in Breaking Bad.

My, what a lackluster list that is.

All very safe, predictable and boring. It feels as if it’s the same list as last year. I mean I like Boston Legal, but it certainly doesn’t have the edge it had during seasons 1+2. House is fun, but best drama…? Same goes for Hugh Laurie.

Seeing Mad Men nominated is one of the few bright lights. I haven’t seen the show with Byrne yet, but if he’s his usual excellence I’m sure I will enjoy it. I doubt Spader will grab it two consecutive years.

Let’s, last year the list went like this (winners in bold):

Drama
**The Sopranos **
Boston Legal
Grey’s Anatomy
Heroes
House

Comedy
**30 Rock **
Entourage
The Office
Two and a Half Men
Ugly Betty

Actor drama
**James Spader **
James Gandolfini
Hugh Laurie
Denis Leary
Kiefer Sutherland

Actress drama
**Sally Field **
Patricia Arquette
Minnie Driver
Edie Falco
Mariska Hargitay
Kyra Sedgwick

Actor Comedy
**Ricky Gervais **
Steve Carell
Alec Baldwin
Tony Shalhoub
Charlie Sheen

Actress Comedy
**America Ferrera **
Tina Fey
Felicity Huffman
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Mary-Louise Parker

It *is * almost the same list.

I read somewhere that **Neil Patrick Harris ** was going to present the nominees. That’s ironic, since I think the deserves not only nomination but winning. His Barney in *How I met your mother * is the funniest thing on tv right now, one might even say it’s Awesome.

He did, and he was nominated in the Supporting Actor category. Kristin Chenowith also presented, and was also nominated. Cool, huh?

I’ll admit that I’ve never watched Boston Legal, so maybe someone here can tell me, does it really deserve all these nominations? From the commercials, it seems like a bunch of stupidness.

I really really hope that Tina Fey wins- i think she deserves it

Supporting?
He is the show. I guess only the top billed can’t get lead nomination. What did they do with Friends? Good for him though!

It is. That’s the whole point. Dramedy might be a better description, but the emphasis of the show is playing silly buggers. The preachiness is getting higher with each season though, as it seems it always does with David E. Kelly shows.

Sigh…

I was hoping against hope that someone, ANYone from Battlestar Galactica would be nominated.

Michael Hogan, Edward James Olmos, James Callis, Mary McDonnell…you’re telling me not one of these performances could be recognized??

Oh well, it’s about what I expected.

Nice to see Pushing Daisies in there.

The OP omitted Kyra Sedgwick from the Drama Actress nominees.

The omission of Jon Hamm of Mad Men is entirely the fault of the Academy’s. 16 nods, but not one for the lead actor?

For a few years, they all submitted their names in the Supporting category (Kudrow, Aniston, and Schwimmer were all nominated at one point, with Kudrow winning). Later, after the show got big enough, they all submitted their names in the Lead category (Perry, LeBlanc, and Aniston–again–were all nominated, with Aniston winning in this category).

I’ll post more after processing the nominees. But more acting categories, first:

Supporting Actor/Drama
Ted Danson/Damages
Michael Emerson/Lost (“Ben”)
Zeliko Ivanek/Damages
William Shatner/Boston Legal
John Slattery/Mad Men

Supporting Actress/Drama
Candice Bergen/Boston Legal
Rachel Griffiths/Brothers & Sisters
Sandra Oh/Grey’s Anatomy
Dianne Wiest/In Treatment
Chandra Wilson/Grey’s Anatomy

Supporting Actor/Comedy
Jon Cryer/Two and a Half Men
Kevin Dillon/Entourage
Neil Patrick Harris/How I Met Your Mother
Jeremy Piven/Entourage
Rainn Wilson/The Office

Supporting Actress/Comedy
Kristin Chenoweth/Pushing Daisies
Amy Poehler/Saturday Night Live
Jean Smart/Samantha Who?
Holland Taylor/Two and a Half Men
Vanessa Williams/Ugly Betty

Guest Actor/Drama
Charles Durning/Rescue Me
Robert Morse/Mad Men
Oliver Platt/Nip/Tuck
Stanley Tucci/ER
Glynn Turman/In Treatment
Robin Williams/Law & Order: SVU

Guest Actress/Drama
Ellen Burstyn/Big Love
Diahann Carroll/Grey’s Anatomy
Sharon Gless/Nip/Tuck
Anjelica Huston/Medium
Cynthia Nixon/Law & Order: SVU

Guest Actor/Comedy
Will Arnett/30 Rock
Steve Buscemi/30 Rock
Shelley Berman/Curb Your Enthusiasm
Tim Conway/30 Rock
Rip Torn/30 Rock

Guest Actress/Comedy
Polly Bergen/Desperate Housewives
Edie Falco/30 Rock
Carrie Fisher/30 Rock
Kathryn Joosten/Desperate Housewives
Sarah Silverman/Monk
Elaine Stritch/30 Rock

Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program
Stephen Colbert/The Colbert Report
Tina Fey/Saturday Night Live (Host)
David Letterman/The Late Show
Don Rickles/Mr. Warmt: The Don Rickles Project
Jon Stewart/80th Annual Academy Awards

My bad. He was nominated but I screwed up and left him off the list.

There’s also a new category: Reality Show Host. If I remember right, the nominees were Heidi Klum (sp?), Alan Seacrest, Howie Mandel, Tom Bergeron, and Jeff Probst.

Battlestar got 5 nominations, including one in the writing category (where it’s up against The Wire’s only nod), but no other major categories. :frowning:

Daisies got 12 nominations, 3rd highest for all TV series (only 30 Rock and Mad Men had more).

He’s actually won 3 of the last 4 years, so they clearly love the guy, but they might think Laurie (who’s never won and who’s the only network competitor) may be overdue at this point.

Whew! You listed 5 nominees so I figured you’d included them all. That’s a relief at least! :slight_smile:

Ryan Seacrest, but otherwise, you’re right.

Reality Show Nominees: Antiques Roadshow, Dirty Jobs, Extreme Makeover Home Edition, Intervention, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List

Reality Competition Nominees: The Amazing Race, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Project Runway, Top Chef

Best Commercial nominees

Bud Light (“Swear Jar”)
Coca-Cola (“It’s Mine”)
FedEx (“Carrier Pigeons”)
Hallmark (“Brother of the Bride”)
Travelers Insurance (“Delivery”)

Random thoughts on random categories:

-I hoped The Simpsons would put up the “Eternal Moonshine” ep. Of this season, that one was one of the best and the most award-worthy.
-The farce is with them: the two animated Star Wars spoofs- the 30min Robot Chicken and the 60min Family Guy- both got noms in their respective categories.
-Glad to see a nom for Coke’s dueling-Macy-balloons ad, my favorite of Super Bowl LXII.
-Two song noms that tickled me- the catchy, goofy theme for Disney’s Phineas and Ferb in theme and “I’m Fucking Matt Damon” in original song. (If “Damon” won, it would be the second year in a row the original song winner’s title couldn’t actually be said on TV, following “Dick in a Box.”
-Surprised High School Musical 2 didn’t get any song noms, as the first got two.
-Kid Nation had a theme song?
-Speaking of Kid Nation, why the hell wasn’t it nominated for best reality competition?
-For the first time in his show’s three-year history, Stephen Colbert is not up against a famous singer in the comedy-variety perfomer award. But he does have tough competition, including Don Rickles, Tina Fey, and Oscar host/Colbert nemisis Jon Stewart.

Oops- Super Bowl LXII should be Super Bowl XLII. Don’t panic.

Fucking Wire. :frowning:

For a change, The Simpsons actually aren’t up against South Park this year, since the latter chose to submit the entire Imaginationland multi-parter in the (less competitive) longform animated category. So they could both go home winners, though the Springfield brood is up against 4-time Oscar winner Nick Park and his Creature Comforts series.

As did Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher on 30 Rock)

Sarah Silverman is actually up for 3 awards in 3 completely different categories (and networks)

Colbert is also head-to-head against Stewart (again) in the Writing, Directing, and Series competitions (of the Variety/Music/Comedy category). The Daily Show has won the Series category for the last 5 years straight.

:smack: Next year, I’d better sit back and let somebody else do the thread.

Gadarene, fucking right. And if they wanted to nominate Glynn Turman, why not nominate him for The Wire instead of In Treatment? Simon and Burns must have pissed somebody off.

davidw, I think Boston Legal deserves the nominations. Some of the plots have some silly aspects (and they might preach a bit) but the characterization is topnotch and the dialogue is great.

As usual, I am grumbling a bit about the actors who were omitted. But I’m delighted that Zeljko Ivanek got a nod for his amazing work in Damages. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better performance.

Flight of the Conchords got 4 nods: Writing & Directing in a Comedy, plus 2 song nods (“The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room)” and Inner City Pressure)

I really like Chuck’s opening credits, but I think Mad Men will take that one, too.