Project Runway Starts on Wednesday!!

I was hoping rocker chick would stay–she looks like she might have done something good if not for the bad choice of fabrics.

They advertised pretty poorly this year–had no idea it was on till I saw this thread.

Was it that - or one of those like fiji water bottles? I was trying to figure that out . . . .

Note to Blayne: Women generally like to keep their maxi-pads hidden inside their clothes.

p.s. Haven’t you ever heard of skin cancer, you leathery orange freak?

I’m interested to see what she can do, but the way she just threw in the towel when her materials weren’t what she expected makes me think that the problem wasn’t the “fabric.” It was her.

:: pats self on back ::

I thought Stella should have been auf. That “hand-stitched” glad bag nightmare showed little effort and less creativity. At least Jerry had a look and took time, though his accessorizing was horrible (skip the gloves and boots to avoid that serial killer chic).

As for the winner, the Solo cups should have won. Kelly used coffee filters to cover her model’s chest, nowhere near as cool as the blue plastic hotness of Daniel’s.

So far this season is starting off sucky. It was nice to see Austin again, and I loved how he kept perseverating on the use of fresh produce.

ETA: I already hate Blayne. Girlicious? Holla atcha boy? Please go away.

You can tell Blayne had been practicing his “girlicious” bit since he saw Christian’s signature line. Does he think it’s more about the sound bite and less about the clothes? Wait a minute…

StG

I agree Ruby. I mean, a dress made of garbage bags is pretty much what I would come up with–at least Jerry made an effort, although a raincoat made out of a shower curtain is only marginally better than a garbage bag dress.

I was OK with Kelly winning because I thought the dying and burning of the materials was cool–I did dislike the coffee filter bra top and preferred the cup dress overall but I don’t feel like he was totally robbed or anything.

ETA: I’m betting he spells it “grrrlicious” :slight_smile:

I did like Daniel’s blue cup dress better than Kellie’s but I can see why they gave the win to Kelly. She did use different materials and showed a lot of imagination. However, I really hated the coffee filter boob covers. They really didn’t seem to fit with the dress. If she had dyed them like the skirt and then made a bodice of folded filters it might have looked more cohesive.

I did not get the praise for the yellow tablecloth with the salad. There were other dresses that looked better and used more imagination.

I also feel Stella should have been aufed. What did she spend her $75 on that she had nothing else she could use for color or contrast?

Heck, I feel pretty confident that I could have done a better dress than she did with only a roll of garbage bags. There is a way to iron plastic bags together to create a sewable fabric. Or there were lots of other things that could have been done, weaving (as someone already mentioned), ripping the bag into strips for yarn and knitting or crocheting something, perhaps a bodice or halter top, then using lots of bags for a full puffy skirt. Sheesh, now I really want to do this to prove just about anything else would have looked better than her dress. Her dress was maybe one step above cutting neck and armholes out of the bag and putting it on the model. And she knew she screwed up but made no effort to try to do anything better.

I thought Jerry’s was ugly but I thought that he at least used some imagination and design skill. If he had left out the sun dress, left off the cape thing and the gloves and added some color and a little more structure to that coat (didn’t like the way it drooped) he might have stayed.

But truly the most hideous thing was Blayne’s. I think the only reason he wasn’t out was because he managed to use several different items so at least tried a little harder than Jerry or Stella in that respect. Plus he’s a crazy flamboyant gay guy. I also agree that Blayne is going to get really annoying really fast, but my real fear is that Stella becomes this Season’s Angela.
I am making a pledge that before the end of the Season, I will attempt to make a dress out of garbage bags that looks better or at least shows more imagination than Stella’s. Although I would like the option of using some other items for some color and contrast. I will stick with the challenge idea and only use grocery store items and it will definitely cost less than $75.

Sounds like a Straightdope Challenge in the works.

Anybody who’e been to a bridal shower and had to maek the toilet paper wedding dress could do better. Stella’s biggest problem was that she spent what looked like two thirds of the time alotted throwing up her hands and saying the garbage bags sucked - if she had gone into gear right away she might have made something really interesting using the same contrasting top stitching.

re: The yellow tablecloth/salad dress whenever Nina says “impeccable” that designer is at the very least safe. Her tablecloth was paper so it was at least a little more technically challenging. Kors also said something like “the right dress and the right look on the right girl”. It seems most of us agree that styling figured heavily in the dismissal of raincoat guy.

I think Solo cups guy might’ve won with a more unique silhouette, or broken up the color.

I think the winner did look like pieces of 2 dresses but the techniques she incorporated were pretty impressive…“I made hooks and eyes out of the spiral from a notebook.” ? It’s easy for me to say she should’ve made a different bodice, but given the time constraint I think she did a great job.

I’m having a hard time deciding who I’m hoping goes firts, Blayne or Suede. Blayne at least has a last name. Suede’s dress wan’t awful, just boring as all get out. Blayne’s “creation” on the other hand was awful! And writing girlicious on her leg!?!?!? Not this fan’s favorite.

I think mousy quiet girl may surprise us.

Make sure you have the timing right, Wile E - you’ll have only 12 hours to finish, and you’ll have to go back in time and un-watch this episode so you don’t have any more than a half hour to conceptualize your garment and shop. And your accessories have to come from someone else’s choices. And there will have to be 15 other loons running through a closed shop with you, along with a cameraman trailing you. Also, don’t forget you’ll have to spend the night with those strangers before the challenge. Now, given all those parameters, yeah, we have a fair competition now!:wink:

On the other hand, Mr. singular kept saying, quite correctly, “Just make what you’re wearing!”. It wouldn’t have been much of a challenge to replicate the look she had on.

Stella (STEEELLLLAAA!) should have definitely got the hook. Jerry at least tried, and was somewhat proud of what he put out there. Stella just slapped something together at the last minute, shoving on garbage bags until all the crucial parts of the model were covered. I suspect she’s not long for the competition.

Blayne was hilariously awful. I agree with StGermain, he’s trying desperately to be the next Christian with the funny lines, and failing miserably. And yeah he really needs to lay auf the tanning. Between the orange glow and the severe facial features he looks like the missing link.

I didn’t get the love for the giant yelllow dress with the salad mishap stapled to the front. Yeah it was sewn well, it was basically a piece of fabric with some tomatoes slapped on! BTW, who knew Jennifer Hudson could sew?

Yeah, I realize it’s not exactly fair because I had more time to think about it and plan and will have more time to work on it because I won’t have the time crunch. I will try to keep the amount of hours I work on it the same as on the show but I don’t have 12 hours in a row to spend on something like this. I did think up a concept for the garbage bags in just a few minutes while watching the show so I actually did have the same amount of time to plan it and I would not use any ideas anyone else used, like the spiral notebook hooks and eyes.

Basically, it’s just a personal challenge because I’ve always wanted to try my hand at one of these challenges of using unconventional materials just for the heck of it. And the fact that she got a pass for using no imagination or thought ticked me off enough to want to try it myself.

I really like the paper towel dress by mousy shy girl, and I also thought the pseudo-macrame mop top the other girl did. Sorry, but I can’t remember their names right now… I thought those were better styles than the cup dress in actual design. The cup dress had alot of lines and sculpting to it, but it was still just a tube dress.

All of the ones who chose those picnic tablecloths deserve to be stuck with pins and needles. They should have known better. And that includes yellow table cloth girl, too.

Stella should have been auf’ed. No imagination, whining, can’t think fast and problem solve… get off the show. At least Joe’s showed some ability to conceptualize, and it surely wasn’t worse than that Blayne, who is just trying so hard to be Santino and Christain’s love child that he makes me have gagging reflux. All he cares about is getting noticed and being kept on the show because he is a “character” like his daddy Santino.

And another reason Stella should have been auf’ed. I hope I don’t have to go too many episodes of seeing her big butt in those clown-striped tights barely covered by those little booty shorts that were allllll the way up her tail pipe.

Looked like two cats fighting in a pillow case.

Stella needed to go, but if only one person was going to be auffed, they picked the right guy. Stella’s was horrible, but she threw it together at the last second when her original plan didn’t work out. Jerry’s was actually supposed to look more or less like that. He might have been better off realizing it was awful, scrapping the whole thing, and just draping stuff like Stella did.

The first thing everyone needs to do when they find out they’re going to be on Project Runway is go back through the previous seasons, make a list of all the challenges, and come up with detailed plans for how you would approach them. Odds are good that they’re going to just repeat some of them outright, and even if not they’re probably going to be pretty close. I wonder if the better designers from last night did exactly that.

The observation my husband made was, “It looks like she only got one box of garbage bags. How’d she spend the rest of $75?” Which made me think about the others, too.

Before that he said “I don’t even really watch this show all that intently and even I know buying tablecloths is a BS move.”

I wish the oven mitt/macaroni dress had gotten a little more screen time. It was playful but answered the challenge properly.

I didn’t see “Tim’s Take” on the Bravo website - I hope it’s back for future shows.

I wondered that, too. Trashbags aren’t that expensive–you think at least she’d have bought a lot of different varieties which might have included thicker ones, which is what she wanted. Maybe she just figured that was all she needed so she didn’t bother to use all the money?

I liked that one, too. I thought for SURE seeing him buying pasta, it would be a bad move, but it turned out really nicely.

Here it is!

That was my first thought as well. If were ever going to think about going on this show (and I can’t sew so I wouldn’t) the first thing I would do is watch all previous seasons very closely and think about exactly what I’d do on each challenge way in advance.

I was so pleased to see Austin Scarlett back again. He looks exactly as you’d expect him to look.

That’s exactly what I came in here to post. I’ve seen some really creative TP veils and headdresses especially- that was just garbage bags hiding nakedness. She’s who I’d have auf’d.

The cup dress… OMG! I can’t believe he didn’t win. If I saw that at a formal dinner I’d think “she shelled out some moolah for that”- it looked like couture.