Propose a Name for This Embarrassing Event

It’s happened to all of us at least once: you’re going to lunch with some esteemed colleagues and you are selected as the driver. Everyone gets in and buckles up, and you start the car. SUDDENLY THE PREPUBESCENT VOICE OF MICHAEL JACKSON BLARES FORTH FROM YOUR CAR STEREO FOR A SPLIT SECOND BEFORE YOU flip the stereo off, realizing you’d been jamming to the Jackson Five at bone-jarring volume on your way in to work. Maybe it’s not the Jacksons - maybe it’s bluegrass, John Tesh, or some other genre, your interest in which you’d rather not broach with your colleagues.

It’s happened to me twice in the last 10 years, and I have post-traumatic stress syndrome over both instances.

Radiobashment? Dismusicomfiture? Help me out here.

Not catchy, but at least it’s long: Noncorrect music selection recognition trauma. I get it for listening to The KLF, Rammstein, or Gary Glitter. Anyone know how to translate it into latin?

I can’t think of a good name, but I just wanted to share that I have a CD labeled “Songs I don’t want anyone to hear me listening to”. I definitely know the feeling.

This happened to me. I was listening to the London recording of Jesus Christ Superstar at full volume before school. After school I was taking a friend home and out blasts “JEEEEEEEEEEESSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSS!!”

Let’s just say that I’m not a Christian. :smack:

This isn’t as specific at the type of music, but when I went for my driving test (at ~21) with the stereotypical harsh tester I started up the car and the radio started blaring (I had been warned to turn it off before the test by my friend who trained me). Her admonishment to “TURN THAT OFF!” was only the beginning of a memorable mortification.

Stare-o-phonic sounds? Cringephony?

I am a 23 year old straight male.

I own Avril Lavigne CDs.

I know the feeling.

Heck, that happens to me all the time. In fact, I thought it was just a normal thing: that the music I love becomes suddenly humiliating once someone else hears me playing it. This has been true for me for a long long time. Except maybe for some of my Stevie Wonder.
How about grammiliation?

For **Hyperelastic ** it should be Discomfiture, but I’m not sure how to pronouce it. Maybe for everyone, if we emphasis the “disc” rather than the “disco”.

Heh, when that happens, like with Rammstein or something, I just turn it down to where it’s still audible and let every one look at each other uncomfortably until one of them gets the nerve to say something. Until then, hey, I can understand it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dysmusica? Obnoxious Musical Taste Disorder (OMTD)? Music Disorder Syndrome (MDS)? Feel free to take your pick. Personally, I suffer from all three. :smiley:

I’m glad to tell you that you’re not alone. But, then again, I’m a 15-year-old Canadian girl. So, maybe you are alone… :frowning:

What’s wrong with Rammstein? Hmph.

furtively tries to hide my Old Person Hippie Music.

But really, once you’re living in a dorm and connected to everyone else on the network via iTunes, there’s not a whole lot to be embarrassed about.

It’s due to the fact that some people associate any german words with Skinheads.

Disco Interruptus

audiodisconcertus = anything audible that has a disconcerting effect.

“Compact discomfiture.”

Acoustic Cognitive Dissonance

I can’t be the only one who’s wondering what’s on this CD. Tom Jones? Celine Dion? REO Speedwagon? We need details!

“You started to believe the things they say of you, you really do believe this talk of God is TRUE!!!”

I for one sometimes intentionally choose some of my more jarring tracks, just to see how long it takes friends to beg for change or laugh at me. Depending on the friends, musicals (like JCS), the aforementioned Rammstein, Journey, or my favorite music that none of my friends listen to: fast-driving Bluegrass, baby! Unfortunately, most of my friends are used to it by now, and the joke is lost. :frowning:

Luckily most of my close friends like most of the same music I like, but on occasion someone else will make fun. I’m trying to improve, really. I know I listen to bad music.

Yes, I have more than one boy band CD. The shame.