PS3 Shoot-em up game recommendations?

I think I’m getting a PS3 for Christmas and need some shoot-em up game recs. I wore out a controller or two on the PS2 when it came out with a lot of Call of Duty, Brothers in Arms and GTA play, but what little console gaming I’ve done lately has been sports-related. I’d like to get a couple shooter titles though. Anything I should get/avoid? Also, are there some can’t miss titles in the Greatest Hits/$19.99 category?

I’ve heard great things about Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2.

Call of duty 4: modern warfare is an excellent game, as is Saints Row 2. I cannot recommend the latter enough.

I enjoyed Uncharted 1 and 2, and also Resistance 1 and 2. And if you haven’t played Fallout 3 yet, all of the DLC that was previously only available on the xbox version is now available for the PS3.

I protest calling any of these games “shoot-em up” games. The correct terminology is “FPS”. Shoot-em up is already taken by topdown scrolling games. :stuck_out_tongue:

And now back to your regularly scheduled useful discussion.

If you liked previous GTA games, I think you’ll like GTA IV - I play a lot of multiplayer even this long after launch. I’ll provide another vote for Uncharted II; Uncharted (the first one) is also a great game. GTA IV is available for $29.99 most places, and the first Uncharted should be fairly cheap, too.

Christ, how could I forget Call of Duty? Modern Warfare 2 came out pretty recently.

CoD-MW2 didn’t get a great evaluation in single mode play, however if you’re into online action… it’s supposed to be one of the best.

Since this is a forum based on intelligent factual replies… I should have posted this:

Also I want to add on that I have really enjoyed Uncharted. It’s NOT a first person shooter… it’s a third person shooter. I think I have that right… regardless, you can see your character interacting with the environment. Loads of fun. I’ve played it multiple times. Once to work my way through the story line, then other times to collect various treasures and trophies. Plus the prerequisite hot video game character of Chloe.

[titpick…er nitpick] Chloe doesn’t show up until Uncharted 2.[/nitpick]

Regarding GTA IV - is it as good as the other titles as a stand-alone game or will I need to do multi-player to get the best out of the gameplay?

So far I’m hoping to have the following games right away: GTA IV, Uncharted, Madden 10. Anyone have an opinion on Brothers In Arms: Hell’s Highway? I liked the ps2 title.

Standalone is where all the fun is. Multiplayer had some potential, but it had no legs.

Ooops. I knew that of course. I don’t think to call it Uncharted 2 anymore as I haven’t played the original in over a year.

Regarding Uncharted. If you’re trying to save a few bucks, go for the original first. It’s probably really cheap at the used video game places. Then if you like it, it more or less plays into Uncharted 2 with some recurring characters.

I’m not a hard core gamer like most people, but this and Tiger Woods 10 have my most favorite games for the PS3.

Plus if you have friends you want to compete against or with… Both of these games are really good for this.

I, personally, wasn’t all that blown away by GTA IV. I enjoyed Saints Row 2 a lot better, it is what GTA IV should have been.

I got a lot of enjoyment out of GTA IV. I still pick it up every once in a while when I want to blow off some steam and jump a fake Lamborghini over the fake Hudson River, or blow up a bunch of buses in the middle of Times Square.

The multi-player isn’t really that rich or rewarding, but it’s great fun to pop into a Deathmatch for 30 minutes and run around the airport cappin’ fools.

I had a lot of fun with Mercenaries 2, it’s a mostly open-world type game where you can blow a lot of stuff up and even call in airstrikes and artillery. It’s considered buggy but I haven’t had any problems with it. It should be $20 or less.

Currently playing Battlefield Bad Company, it’s linear but has the distinction that most everything is destroyable; vehicles, buildings, trees, etc. It has a decent Kelly’s Heroes type storyline with some good humor and exchanges between the 4 squad members.

Got the PS3 (120 gb, bundled w the games Batman: Arkham Asylum and Unleashed as well as The Dark Knight on blu-ray) and if I wasn’t debilitated by stomach flu right now I’d have it all hooked up. Deciding between which of the three to pick up first: GTA IV, Mercenaries 2 or Uncharted. Happy holidays everyone!

GTA IV’s single player story is very good - good storyline, excellent voice acting, etc. There is the chance to spend a lot of time dating and hanging out with friends, but you can do the bare minimum of that without impacting the game much. I did the max on my first playthrough, but cut way back the second time through.

I’m going to pick up GTA IV this weekend. And the game I got bundled along w Batman wasn’t ‘Unleashed’ (not sure where I got that idea) but ‘Infamous,’ which is what I’ve been playing. Seems cool so far.