Question for right-wingers/conservatives...

I love how you rationalize stuff (it’s very entertaining), so I’m curious about the spin on this one. Pardons if it’s been brought up a few hundred times before.
**“The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our Number One priority and we will not rest until we find him!”

George W. Bush - September 13, 2001

“I don’t know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and I really don’t care. It’s not that important. It’s not our priority.”

George W. Bush - March 13, 2002**
Might this be somewhat of a flip-flop about something that’s somewhat important to a lot of Americans?

Why do you hate America, Equipoise? :wink:

Um… he re-evluated the situation and decided, after carefully analyzing all the facts and issues, that a new policy was appropriate?

Or… it’s a trick. He figures that if ObL thinks his capture is low priroity, he’ll come out of hiding?

Or… it’s a ruse. ObL is already in custody, to be sprung tonight on stage at the RNC?

Do I get extra credit for coming up with 3 explanations? :slight_smile:

blowero, I don’t know, I guess I’m just unpatriotic to the bone.

Wow, yeah, you don’t even have to stay and clean the blackboard!

I like #3 myself, though I think it will come in October.

Oh! Oh! You know what would be cool? If he literally sprung him on stage and then all of the journalists started taking flash photograph and then OBL broke free of his chains and then grabbed some blond chick and then climbed the Empire State Building and then had to be shot down by biplanes.

Actually, we’re screwed if that happens Binarydrone. Bush didn’t appropriate funds for any new biplanes in the lastest defense budget.

Some say it’s because we didn’t need any biplanes. I say no, it’s because George W. Bush loathes the military.

Every day he’s out there the war is not over. But the war doesn’t end when we find him, either.

In the early days of the conflict, I had a nagging worry that we’d find the SOB, wrap up the operation and leave an apparatus in place ready to strike again at a future date.

I don’t agree with every move made in this conflict, whether in Afghanistan or Iraq. And certainly bin Laden must be caught. But we knew, or should have known, that this would be a long process. I believe it will be the work of a decade or more. And I believe we’ll ultimately be successful.

Now, you can cherry pick some quotes and be all cute on a message board, Equipoise, or you can offer some alternative to what we’re doing now. It’s not enough to cry, bitch and moan. Anybody but Bush won’t cut it anymore.

If you want to complain, be specific, and please suggest how we can do better. If, that is, you’re capable of doing so.

“A foolish consistency is the hob-goblin of little minds.” - Emerson

I can’t understand why both candidates aren’t using this quote. :smiley:

So he’s either a flip-flopper, a liar, or shameless? :wink:

Obviously we need to buy a shitload of biplanes.

Successful how? In capturing (or identifying the remains of) Osama? Successful in stopping terrorism? Successful in making Afghanistan (and maybe Iraq) a democracy? Something else?

You have more faith than I do. I only believe that #1 is even remotely possible.

Aren’t Kerry-bashers doing just that? If not here, then elsewhere? They’re cherry picking quotes and incidences, misrepresenting them out of context and using them against Kerry, and they seem to be to be about things that aren’t nearly as important as the terror posed by the ghost of Osama bin Laden. Only the Republicans aren’t being very cute about it.

It’s not Anybody But Bush, it’s John Kerry, and I’m not crying, bitching or moaning (at least not this very minute), I plan to vote, and vote hard.

I’m not capable of doing so. I’m not a big-time president with all the resources of the United States Government at my disposal, ready and willing to give me all the information I could possibly use so I can discard it at the whim of my handlers.
I was just wondering what people would say, is all.

“Paging Mr. Rickenbacker…Eddie Rickenbacker, please call the Main Desk.”

Should we buy Spads, or are German Albatrosses cheaper? :smiley:

Seems to me that the OP is not complaining about OBL being free, but Bush’s flip-flop.

I’m not the OP, but IMO the way Bush could do better in the flip-flop area would be

1. Don’t flip-flop like was demonstated in the OP
  2. Don’t hypocritically accuse others of making flip-flops if changing one’s mind is OK.

Personally, I don’t think OBL is alive. All we have is some poor-quality recordings which purport to be from him, but could very well not be.

I think one Albatross and five necklaces will do.

Everybody’s doing it. This is what happens in an election in the United States.

And just how ya gonna do that? Pull the lever down real hard? Put a little extra oomph in the punching of your card? :wink:

“WOOOOOO!! I AM VOTING LIKE A MOTHER FUCK!!!”

Way to not answer the question. The OP was pointing out that Bush has flip-flopped on a fairly major issue, i.e. the importance of capturing or killing Osama Bin Laden, who actually was responsible for 9/11. Yet the current Republican attack theme is that Kerry is the flip-flopper while Bush is decisive. Why is it not hypocritical for Bush to label Kerry as a flip-flopper when he himself has flip-flopped on whether it is at all important to capture or kill the man who heads the organization responsible for the 9/11 attacks?

:smiley:

Just because I wanna horn in here: How, precisely, will you define success? And how will we or anyone be able to determine the progress made toward this success?

You mean, you’re allowing people to act like ®s? How magnanimous of you.

Well, the first thing that springs to mind is to focus on what in hell is being done, rather than leaving things half-assed in one country only to declare, “The real problem is in that country. Over there. Follow me!” Too, bringing in other nations to assist with the wars (no police actions for this administration) that have been started and show no inclination to be ending anytime soon. And to stop looking with longing toward Iran and Syria.

Oh, and the standard complaints: Allow homosexuals to exist as citizens with all the rights and privileges that accrue. Do something about that asshole, Ashcroft. I swan, I voted against that sumbitch, and damned if he didn’t wind up being our official coverer of breasts. If I vote for him, will he finally wither and die? Please? Because I’m willing to make that sacrifice. I’ll never live it down, but I’ll do it. Have someone working in State who isn’t treated like the red-headed stepchild of the administration. Y’know, the standards.

I did. And fuck you thrice for your pissy little closing shot.