Random Mundane And Pointless Stuff -- Take Five!

http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000505.html

Above is the link to Part Four – Have fun with Take Five!

-Melin
Board Goddess in Training

well we set a date. It looks like Aug. 20 of the year 2000 I shall be wed. :slight_smile:
I had no idea that a wedding would cost so much!!! I was guessing about $3000 but we’re just on the dinner part and we’re already at $5500. I’m going to have to take out a loan just to pay for dinner! I don’t know what a large wedding, is but I’m told we’re having one. I have about 200 people on my side and she has about 150 on hers, and that doesn’t even count our friends!!!oh well
More mindless stuff…The new guy at work is taking other people’s sales. Were on comission, and he’s telling people that the sales person they we’re working with is no longer with the company! Then he takes their sales for himself! This man is on a set salery for the next three months and he’s taking my money. I went to the boss and he said he would have a talk with him. Later that day my boss called me in to his office and said that the new guy said I was giving him a hard time. Then my boss asked if I knew what a team player is. When I responded that it wasn’t some one who took other peoples sales he asked me if I knew what herasmment is! I was told that I should personaly help the new guy to make sure that there are no more misunderstandings. When I went to work with the new guy he just grinned at me and told me that if I need anything I could come to him and that he dosn’t like it when people go over his head. He’s driving me nuts. If I have to work with him one more time…

But on the lighter side of life. I saw the Blair witch project. Maybe next time I could save the $7.50 and just get some one to hit me in the head for about an hour and a half! That was the worst movie that I’ve seen in a long time. As a matter of fact I would rather sit through “Mannos the Hands of Fate” twice, before I would watch that movie again.

Bad spellers of the world… UNTIE

Where ever there are four SDMBers, there’s a fifth. :wink:

Okay,here’s my rant for today:

Why can I not find a job that will keep me busy??? My new job (been here 2 months) is leaving me just as bored as the one at the bank was. I keep hearing the same thing:“Oh, we’ll have plenty for you to do when X happens” Well, X is still 2-3 months off and I’m here twiddling my thumbs!
I’m organized, have a great attitude (usually!), extremely computer literate, detail-oriented, hardworking, motivated, independant. I CAN RUN YOUR LIFE FOR YOU! Why is it so hard to find a company that can actually keep me busy and challenge me?! Great secretaries are NOT a dime a dozen-why am I finding it so hard to find a good position? I’m so frustrated! Any of you Michigan SD’ers that have any contacts in Lansing, e-mail me! I’m desperate!!
::rant over::
On a lighter side, I’m going to get my hair trimmed tonight-always look forward to hair appointments as little treats. Cooked up and froze about 10-12 quarts of beets at Dad’s last night. My seedless watermelons are coming on strong!

And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss
of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so
wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth
of vast eternity can fill it up!
-Charles Dickens “Dombey and Son”

Gr8Kat, I think you were the one with the burst washing machine hose? (I can’t remember from the other thread). You probably know this by now, but they do make anti-burst hoses. They are a little more expensive but not too bad and I’ve heard they actually work really well. Keeps you from having to do the ol’ on-off thing with the valves all the time.

This is part five of random pointless thoughts of people from all over the place. This gets me thinking:
Whos paying for all this memory and machines required to keep all this stuff online?

My daughter is at it again! Every job she gets, she ends up walking out on.
This time she’s quit two jobs in less than a week, and the first one was because of a little fisticuffs with one of the other waitpersons(male) that she didn’t like.
The up side of this…now she wants to go to Wisconsin to move in with a guy she met a couple of weeks ago. Sure hope all her stuff is going with her, open burning is illegal in my town, and I’d hate to get thrown in jail.

FixedBack

FixedBack

“Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity.”~~G.K.Chesterton 1908

I got myself down to the barber over the weekend to get my receeding hairline trimmed some, and dang if the man didn’t do a good job. It feels like there is less to work with every time I go, but he did me proud.

I was visiting my brother up in San Francisco this weekend and saw him cutting up a six-pack rings he found on the beach. Superciliously, I told him that Cecil said that six-pack rings aren’t as big a problem as people think. It turns out he not only knew this already, he was consulted by Cecil’s assistant Jane for the article. Boy was I impressed! I put more details under “About Cecil’s Columns”.

Hey Greg, maybe the 6-pack rings aren’t such a problem cause your bro is such a diligent guy :wink:

Okay, I called the employment agency again. The gal I work with is actually a good friend of my sister’s so I know she isn’t feeding me any crap. Turns out she has a small law firm who has a partner who needs an executive assistant and because he doesn’t do a lot of litigation, I don’t need all the legal secretary stuff. I guess the other attorney I’d work for would teach me the stuff about litigation (paperwork etc) plus my sis’ the World’s Greatest Legal Secretary, so she could help. Salary would be there. Faxed her my updated resume. We’ll see if they want to meet me.
::sign:: lawyers…see how far I’ve sunk! :wink: (sorry Melin! :))

Well, there. I think I’ve finally finished updating my web page. I still haven’t learned how to do the different windows, but I did get a Straight Dope banner up at my page! :smiley:

Meanwhile, here’s a weird thing–the background doesn’t come up on this computer (and some, but not all, of my friends). I’ve had 3 techs fiddle with it to no avail. I think it’s something screwy in this version of MSIE…everything was fine until I upgraded last fall. (Meanwhile, my laptop–which has THE most recent version–has the background). Trippy, huh?

Anyway, if you’re curious, here’s the link.

“Me fail English? That’s unpossible!”

“English? Who needs that? I’m never going to England.”

As you all can see since I’ve posted three!!! times today, I’m a little bored.

Laura, loved the home page. Very nicely done. Can’t listen to any of your .wav files cause I don’t have a sound card :frowning: But the fact that you are obviously a Princess Bride fan endears you to me. Scratch Inigo’s fuzzy little head for me and “have fun storming the castle”.

Cap’n P, congrats on the wedding date. Forgot to say that earlier. We did our wedding on a shoestring (feed people, are you kidding? Let 'em eat cake) and it was wonderful. Don’t let the details ruin the excitment.

Got a great compliment today. We got our 2nd papers back in my English 398 class (Critical Writing, core course for the major, the prof becomes your advisor for the rest of the time you’re in college). She only had good things to say about it, which isn’t spectacular. In fact, I think she’s a pretty easy grader. At the end, though, she put a note telling me that I should be an Honors student, and that if I wanted to get in, to talk to her after class. So I’m considering it. My GPA at OSU isn’t the greatest, but it’s on its way up, and if she sponsors me, I’m a shoo-in.

So the last time I posted here I was supposed to be moving. U-Haul called us Wednesday to tell us that the 14 footer we reserved for Friday might be available early on Thursday and that they would call us as soon as it was ready. So we packed the remainders lickity split, missed a couple classes, some research, generally put our lives on hold early. Thursday comes and goes, no phone call. It’s getting later and later on Friday and we had reserved the truck for 6pm. At 5:30 we call and they have NOTHING and there are five people ahead of us waiting for a truck and they will call us when ours is ready. Friday comes and goes and we are up at 7 am on Saturday to await a phone call from U-Haul for our truck. Nothing. We call every hour on the hour and they start telling us that because it’s a big moving weekend that everyone took trucks OUT of Champaign, but that no one was bringing trucks IN to Champaign. Lease was scheduled to end at noon, so at 11 we asked them to give us whatever they had, which amounted to a 5x8 trailer - which we received at no charge. Except now we had to load as much stuff as we could in to it and take it to storage, unload it, and bring it back to the apartment to refill it, our cars, and a friends pick up truck and haul ass to Chicago where we had 8 lovely friends patiently waiting to help move us in to our new place. We didn’t get there until 11 pm, half of our stuff is still in storage in Champaign and now that we got a free trailer out of U-Haul for their stupidity, we are officially out of their hair and they don’t have to do jack shit to accomodate us for a vehicle this weekend or ever.
Is this normal to have a reservation contingent upon someone/anyone returning a truck there? I thought that if I made a reservation, that means that YOU GET A FUCKING TRUCK FOR ME AND HAVE IT WAITING THERE FOR ME - RESERVED!!! Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode. Such bullshit.

One of my cats just crawled into a bag of cat litter and peed in it.

I’m so tired tonight, I’m pretty much falling asleep in front of the computer. But every time I try to lay down, I end up tossing and turning for hours. I hate insomnia.

Shadowfox

Bunnygirl:

WRT your employment situation:

I have had the EXACT same problems. I really feel for you. I just started my 5th job in 12 months, and its no better/worse than the others. I do all of the work assigned to me, and I can’t imagine that the other people who have done the same job in the past were SO bad that it took them all day to do what it took me an hour to complete. Still, I just started this new job, and there’s still a chance that it will get better.

Plus, this stuff isn’t a career. I’m studing to be a teacher, and once I have my certificate, I’ll finally get settled into something good (I hope).

Jason R Remy

“Open mindedness is not the same thing as empty mindedness.”
– John Dewey Democracy and Education (1916)

Got held up by an accident on the freeway this morning. A vintage car, maybe a convertible with the top up, was upside down. No other car appeared to be involved, and the driver was being taken away in an ambulance. I can guess what happened: he was hotrodding it, thinking that having a sweet car made him an exemplary driver. The most dangerous part of a car is the nut behind the wheel.

Remember, I’m pulling for you; we’re all in this together.
—Red Green

It’s just before 8:00, and I am hungry and thirsty. My surgery is today at 4:30, so food and water are verboten because I’ll be under general anesthesia. I am so hungry it hurts. I just want to get it over with so I can eat again!!

Jay, yah, it amazes me. Plus the company I work for is a big cluster. External customers are happy but the administration inside is a big mess. People coming and going all the time.

pl, how’d the surgery go? Hope all is well. Take those drugs, man!!

Heath, I had a similar (though not as bad) experience when we moved back from Tennessee. We have always used Ryder (seem to be cheaper and have nicer vehicles than U-Haul) and went to pick up the truck (day before we move-all our friends coming to help us stash the trash). Oh, gee, they haven’t brought it back to us yet. I made them call another rental place in Nashville to get a truck but just then the morons who were supposed to have it back THE NIGHT BEFORE pulled in. I guess some people don’t care about extra charges. Wish I could spend money like that. Idiots! But, the companies are dependant on people bringing them in on time. Unfortunately, it’s not like a hotel room where you can just kick their butts out. But you knew that. Sorry the move was such a pain!