RIP Kirstie Alley

Kirstie Alley, a two-time Emmy-winning actor who rose to fame with her role as Rebecca Howe in the NBC comedy series “Cheers,” has died after a battle with cancer. She was 71.

Godspeed, Saavik.

It’s too bad she ended her career as a MAGAt.

Can we merge the threads? I did one in mpsims.

The byline says Dec 6 but my phone says it’s currently still Dec 5.

Damn…

I loved her in Cheers. IMHO, she was a much better actress than Shelley Long, and her character, Rebecca Howe, was more interesting and engaging than Diane Chambers. I also liked her in a number of her other roles.

RIP Saavik!

I thought I was the only one who thought this. RIP Rebecca.

I’d fight you over this, but this isn’t the thread for it.
RIP Kirstie Alley.

I prefer the Rebecca era of Cheers as well. I kind of hated the “will they won’t they” or “Sam and Diane” era of the show.

The show handled Rebecca better.

Damn! Damn, damn, damn, damn! :rage:

First it was Mary Ann. Now this…! :sob:

Kirstie was a contestant on the old Match Game back in the '70s. You can catch her episode occasionally on the Game Channel.

RIP

She was on the HBO series “The Hitchhiker”. She was much thinner then. I always thought young Kirstie looked a lot like Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas.

She was also wonderful in a made-for-TV movie called “Profoundly Normal”, about a mixed-race, mentally disabled married couple who were profiled on “60 Minutes” back in the 1980s (and are still together).

She brought a lot to the table as Saavik.

Saavik [seething with barely constrained fury in the aftermath of the Kobayashi Maru simulation]: “Permission to speak candidly, sir?”
Kirk [loosely]: “Granted.”
Saavik: “I do not believe this was a fair test of my command ability.”
Kirk: “And why not?”
Saavik: “Because… there was no way to win.”
Kirk: “A no-win scenario is a situation every commander may face. Has that never occurred to you?”
Saavik: “No, sir. It had not.”
Kirk: “And how we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life, wouldn’t you say?”
Saavik [chastened]: “As I indicated, admiral, that thought had not occurred to me.”
Kirk: “Well, now you have something new to think about. Carry on.”

And the sight of Saavik near tears at Spock’s funeral was powerful.

The next few years are going to be a Niagara Falls of dead celebrities from my era.

I started two polls in the polls only thread over in MPSIMS.

That’s cool and everything, but popular opinion has never been on my side. I just gotta be me, you know?
(I came to terms with this in the '80s during Metal Teens Divided: Randy Rhoads vs. Eddie Van Halen! I’m still on the wrong side of the polls on that one, but I’m still right!)

Aside from Cheers, I liked Kirstie in Veronica’s Closet and the movie For Richer Or Poorer. Also, for a while she was exceedingly hot.

Did she ever escape or denounce Scientology?