Sam Stone believes Trump's tweets

As a reminder, I asked if you would continue to take your car to an unreliable mechanic on the distant chance he’d actually fix it correctly?

If you don’t consider Trump a reliable source of truth, why did you think he could have been truthful this one lonely occasion?

Quit the martyr act. Nobody’s buying it.

And without Sam’s firm hand on his tiller, the librul’s thread unravelled into cannibalism eight days before the end of the world.

I don’t think that’s his tiller.

The part of your post I bolded is exactly why I find Sam so bizarre - he’s a Canadian who lives in Alberta. Why is he so eager to cheerlead for the GOP? I get being a conservative from another country but the degree to which he can’t help proclaiming his love and adoration for a political party he can never vote for strikes me as really really strange.

He may claim to be sitting on the fence, but it is pretty obvious whose yard he is pissing in.

It’s an Alberta thing. A lot of far right whingers there.

Envy, mostly.

Again, I think the current Republican party is pretty terrible. So are the Democrats.

What I am fighting is the rise of illiberal leftism both here and in the U.S. I’m basically in the same place as Sam Harris, Dave Rubin, Jonah Goldberg, David French, Eric Weinstein, etc. People from the left and the right who have no home because the parties have left them behind.

If I seem like I’m always supporting Republicans here, that would be because I feel no need to add my voice to the amen choir when I agree with everyone. When I post on Republican sites, I generally get the same treatment because I generally only post when I disagree with them. Most of the ‘right wing’ sites I have posted on consider me a lefty, or at least annoyingly contrary.

I’m pretty sure none of those guys you mention regularly fall for bullshit Trump-spread conspiracy theories or supposedly revelatory tweets.

The opposite of extreme leftism is not supporting Republicans or carrying water for Trump. It’s calling out those policies which are illogical or counterproductive. You’ve done this with your posts on nuclear power, which are fine–and you’ve found plenty of support for that on this board, which might indicate that it isn’t quite the echo chamber you say it is. There are all kinds of places where the Democrats don’t have things quite right, or where there is at least disagreement (see this thread for a short list of examples).

None of this implies embracing Trumpism or believing obvious Trumpist lies. Sam Harris said that Trump “has assaulted truth more than anyone in human history.” So maybe argue policy on its own terms instead of pretending that liberals are all of one mind that that you need to add Republican stupidity for balance.

Let’s remember that Sam has been a big proponent of downplaying Russian interference in the 2016 election, even in the face of compelling evidence to the contrary. Hard to blame that stance on “illiberal leftism”.

You think that, but you’re wrong.

Thanos thinks you’re too conservative. If I had to guess, I suspect the trouble you’re having is that your ideology is garbage, it’s followed by people that are garbage, and on some level you know it. So you are strongly motivated to believe that the left is garbage too. It just has to be or you’d be someone you don’t want to be.

But Putin said they didn’t do it. And Putin wouldn’t be dumb enough to lie!

My ‘ideology’ is pretty much that of the enlightenment. Free speech, free association, a focus on the individual instead of the collective. The denial of racial superiority OR racial guilt, treating individuals based on their character and actions rather than their race or gender, allowing maximum freedom within the constructs of a civil society, a state that maintains civil society and peace rather than trying to manipulate or control it for ideological ends, a social safety net that helps the truly in need without becoming a crutch, a government fhat lives within its means, etc.

If you think those principles are ‘garbage’, then I just feel sorry for you and hope you never gain real power over anyone else.

I never said the Russians didn’t interfere in the electiom. That has been established beyond doubt. They funded protests, took out ads on facebook and elsewhere, fed garbage into the information stream through social media, and all the rest. They also seem to have done it by feeding disinformatiin through the Steele Dossier, since the contents of the dossier came from a Russian with connections to the government. They also may be guilty of hacking Cljnton’s e-mails.

What I haven’t seen evidence for is collusion between Trump and Russia. To be fair, neither did Mueller, remember? The closest thing Mueller found was that meeting Trump Jr. took with a Russian who got a meeting claiming to have dirt on Hillary, then ended the meeting when it turned out ahe actually wanted to talk about support for shutting down the Magnitsky act.

Based on your posts, you don’t actually believe this, or at least it’s highly subservient to your desire to make liberals angry. Those values are largely compatible with the mainstream Democratic party, and strongly conflict with the present version of the Republican party. Based on your posts, your highest value is that progressives/liberals must be defeated.

It’s apparent that he consumes Fox News-like sources for his information. His views of the Democratic Party and the Republican Party are very much at odds with reality. Unfortunately, he’s not alone. Twenty years ago I could have conversations with some conservatives even here in Wyoming about actual issues, and how we viewed the best way forward to a prosperous, enlightened America. Our thoughts on how to get there might differ, but our general goal was the same. These days, though…

You have definitely seen evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia. The Mueller report describes several instances of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

But go ahead and keep on adding scoops to that bullshit sundae.

No, you’re just an asshole that wants to hurt poor people.

They aren’t your principles. Trump apologists don’t have principles.

I certainly remember you promoting this “So what if they funded a few Facebook ads and anyway what about the Steele Dossier?” line at the time too. And then as now, you handwaved away that the Russians and the Trump campaign had been working hand-in-glove, something that was well-known then and has been conclusively proven now.

I aIso remember you claiming that none of the Trump associates convicted of felonies had been prosecuted for anything relating to Russia. When it was pointed out that all six (this was pre-Stone) of them had felony perjury charges, all of which were for lying under oath to hide their connections to Russia, you went very quiet on the subject.

Why are you still promoting this bullshit? Are you being held hostage by illiberal leftists who are forcing you to type blatant nonsense?

Technically Mueller wasn’t looking for “collusion” as it’s not a meaningful legal term. But Mueller did find substantial evidence of 140 (IIRC) instances of close interaction with and coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia, and the recent Senate report supports the Mueller Report conclusions. (Spoiler alert: it wasn’t just social media activity.)