Sausages onna cheeseburger!

‘Sausages onna cheeseburger! Now I’ve seen everything!’

In reality, I’ve known about sausages on burgers ‘forever’. But ‘Sausages on a cheeseburger’ sounded too much like an exclamation to let it pass. :wink:

From a 2010 zombie thread:

Lots of places offer a grilled hot dog, bratwurst, or other sausage on a burger. The thing of it is, when I want a burger I want a burger. I think sausages detract from that.

I should have had an option for ‘I can take them or leave them.’ :smack:

Can a moderator add the option?

Seems like the sausage would dominate the flavor and the hamburg would sort of dilute it with plain meat flavor. Not needed. And don’t even think about doing this on a donut.

Dennis

Unwieldy and unappetizing. Pass at any time.

I might try it if they used waffles for the buns then dipped it in batter and deep fried the whole thing. ;):rolleyes:

Too tricked up for me, and it doesn’t actually sound good.

I have no problem with the idea. I don’t mind at all putting anything on top of a lame tiny burger patty but for a high quality burger sausages would be detracting. I have made double burgers with a hamburger patty and a sausage patty stacked up before, but it wasn’t really all that exciting. Somewhere I have seen two dogs split and stacked on a burger somewhere in NY, didn’t try it though.

In general, it’s not something evil like putting mayo on a burger, it usually wouldn’t be to my taste, but it sounds like a legitimate variation of a burger for those interested.

Never had one, never even heard of this before this thread. Never would have occurred to me (of course, I’m one of those people deeply offended by the idea of meat as condiment {gives bacon the evil side eye}). I can’t imagine that being a pleasant eating experience unless you sliced the sausage into medallions or used patty sausage (yuck)

what about sausage as the cheeseburger like those Johnsonville patties in the box?

I think it was 7-11 that used to have those; ground beef with cheese mixed in and shaped like a sausage, and served in a hot dog bun. They’re not in the spirit of the thread. (Though I’ve had them, and I can take them or leave them. Or take them with more cheese and a bunch of jalapeños.)

I don’t have a problem with it gastronomically, but I don’t understand how a brat on a burger would work geometrically.

I’ve done that. I’d personally prefer the hamburger but some people really like sausage burgers. I don’t find it has even the attraction of a sausage sandwich (sausage link on a long roll), but it’s just a basic sandwich, meat on bread. It makes a difference when the sausage becomes a condiment, it’s just not the same as bacon, the magical food that makes every other food better. It could also be considered a multi-meat sandwich when sausage is placed on a burger, along the lines of subs, heroes, hoagies, Dagwoods, wedges, combos, etc. Sometimes I would put the milder meat down as the base for sandwiches of that type, but in the case of just two meats this combo seems to have the sausage as the top layer overpowering the more subtly flavored burger on the bottom. I’ll review my notes from the Cordon Bleu to see if this subject has been studied.

Slice the sausage in half and grill it. Slicing in half provides more coverage of the patty, and a flat base.

I voted agin it, but hey, we put bacon on burgers.

So many burger purists here . . .

No bacon, ham, or other smoked meats to be enjoyed with a beef patty? No rich liver pate to enhance it?

Are strong cheeses then too much also? Such as a pepper jack, or roqueforte, or aged cheddar?

Are capers or anchovies not to be contemplated?

Or a nice fried or poached egg?

Spreads such as marmite or cenovis?

Heck, mustard and ketchup should be regarded suspiciously, as they’re often more of a ‘coverup’ than flavor enhancer, given the comments I see here. Ditto for horseradish.

At any rate, I know what I like.

The most famous burger joint in Cincinnati is called Zip’s Cafe, and they have been doing burgers on a seasoned flat top since 1926. Anyway, one item that is always on their menu is the “Girthburger”, which is a split mettwurst on top of their normal burger.

IIRC they also have something called “The Trainwreck”, which is a burger with shaved ham AND a mettwurst, plus three kinds of cheese. I’ve never had one of those, THAT sounds like too much to me, but the Girthburger is pretty damn good.

I mix 1 part ground, spicy Italian sausage with 2 parts ground chuck for my burgers I learned this right here on the SDMB from my friend silenus. I don’t think I would like trying to add a brat to a burger though

There’s one here that does a cheese steak burger they call a “Black Molly”. They also do one with peanut butter-pickle-bacon, and a Barnyard (ham, egg, American cheese). All big sellers.

Correct in all of the above. I view cheese in any form on a burger with suspicion.

these were the ones I’m thinking of

But burger king had a farmhouse king that was a better version of their "rodeo burger "

Btw did you know Johnsonville has a line of sausage grills out ? I houd that out when I was looking for the above link ,
https://www.bing.com/shop?q=johnsonville+grillers&FORM=SHOPPA&originIGUID=0E4765F339124524A3C873EEE4B10C87

I don’t think it would be worth the 80-100 they want for it tho

I do too, unless it’s a cheeseburger, then it’s okay. Don’t put cheese on my burger!