SDMB NFL Pick 'em and Survival leagues

I’m in for the Straight Pick 'em and the Survival League.

I’ve played with the spread before and I did nothing but gain an absolutely astonishing level of respect for odds makers. The spread was so accurate every game seemed to come down to a coin toss anyway.

When you create a fantasy football league, there’s an “invite friends” option which lets you bring up a list of people who’ve been in your league in previous years - it makes inviting everyone back really simple. Do the pick 'em leagues have any option like that? I can’t find them, if so… it’d be cool to be able to do that to invite the people from last year who might want to play but haven’t noticed the thread.

The Demons are back to fight and scratch their way to another thrilling fifth place finish!

links for two because I am too lazy to find them all:

Survival

Pick’ em

Nice to be involved with the Doper gang again. I have been gone from the board awhile dealing with real life crap.

If anyone is interested, it looks like the 2007 NFL One-On-One Pool might be short one or two players. With Casey1505 hanging up his cleats, that leaves just lno and myself as the only ones representing the SDMB. Love to have more folks from here taking part.

I sent out PMs to people who were in the league last year but not this year (at least under a name I recognized). In case you guys are reading this I want to repeat the suggestion to please include your SDMB name somewhere in your pick 'em name (or just in parenthesis after it if you want to be named something completely differently), or, failing that, put the name you signed up under on this thread.

It’s nice if we all know who everyone is.

I have joined two but having trouble getting in the other two. typing in 18855 and cecil at join private groups and it wont let me in.

Any ideas?

Nevermind :smack:

When should we start pickin?

I assume you resolved your issue, then?

As far as when - the settings allow you to wait up until 5 minutes before the start of the game. Personally I’m waiting to see how preseason shakes out and I’ll probably set my pick in the middle of the week of week 1.

Yes,thanks.

The season starts Thursday, Sept 6 correct?

Last year’s Champion has returned (confidence league)

Checkered Demon is in

If I remember correctly it was by the landslide total of one point :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, a week from Thursday. The thursday games are tricky, especially late in the season - people (including myself) tend to forget about them. I’ll try to put out reminders. Since the leagues are set for allowing picking right up until 5 minutes before each game, you could set only the Thursday night game, and do the rest later, if that works for you.

I generally try to put out reminders all season long on saturday night to remind people who haven’t made picks. Some make them right before the games, but I figure it doesn’t hurt to remind them except that it can sound a little naggy after a while - but people have thanked me for it when they did indeed forget.

By the way, to anyone interested, don’t worry about “wasting” a slot if you’re new to all this, the leagues can host 50 teams and we’re nowhere near filling them up.

We’ve still got time until we have to make the Week 1 picks, right? I was hoping to hold off until after preseason.

Yes - you set them any time you want up until 5 minutes before the game actually starts. So you’ve got more than a week.

::Shakes fist at flickster::

Damn you!
Let the Demon battle begin anew.

I predict that we’re going to see a lot of people eliminated in week 1 in the survival league.

The first week is hard to predict - who knows what seemingly good teams will turn to garbage, and what bad teams will show life? Looking down the list, a lot of good teams play a lot of other pretty good teams, and a lot of bad teams play other bad teams. I see only one game in which I’d consider either side a moderately clear favorite. And there’s also a certain matchup this week that smacked about three quarters of our league in the face last year.

Scanning the Week 1 list, I gotta agree with you, Beef – it’s gonna be an ugly one. I see a grand total of one game that I will be picking with any large amount of confidence.

Oof…there’s something I didn’t even thing of – the Confidence Pool. Yeah, that’ll be an ugly way to start. Damn schedule makers…

Looking pretty similar to last year’s turnout so far.

20 in the straight up pick 'em league.
18 in confidence (most popular last year)
12 in spread (also the least popular last year)
21 in survival
and 13 in the salary cap league.

These leagues can all hold up to 50, so anyone who’s still interested you’re free to sign up until Thursday (when the first game starts) - you could sign up after that, anyway, actually for the pick 'em leagues since one week is dropped.

I’m in all four groups. Good luck, everyone!

War Appalaichan State!

Just made my first picks ever in one of these types of games. This is hard, especially assigning confidence values in Week 1.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

It gets easier. Week 1 picks (especially survival) can be difficult because you don’t really have a feel for which teams are ready to excell and which ones will implode.

This particular week 1 is even more difficult because almost every game is a difficult choice. I don’t expect to get off to a great start myself.