SDMBisms that irk me for some reason.

I personally, would like to endorse amijane’s gripe with a hearty +1 !!!1!eleventyone!1 :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with most of the statements of Things That Irk, but - I also use “meh” and like it for it’s take-it-or-leave-it-ness…

Snark and snarky I have no problems with, unless it is in the context of a tabloidy spew of hot gossip - and if canoodling is mentioned in the same passage, my eyes slam up into the back of my head…

Bolding usernames is simply convenient - it makes it easier to track lines of exchange when many are flying within the same thread. I give it no thought but would really complain if we stopped doing this…

This.

Regards,
The Grapist

Not that many people do it, and I doubt it’s an SDMBism, but if you want to indicate that you disagree with the post above, there’s probably no worse way to start out than “BZZZZTTT!!!” It sort of says, “I am an arrogant smartass, and yet I take my cultural cures from game shows.”

“This” is annoying, but not as annoying as the powerful human need to be the first person to reply to something on the Internet with the word “first!” Hey, human, an incredibly simple computer program can be written do that for you, why don’t you just take the next hundred years off?

I hate thankyewverymuch, all one word, with ‘you’ misspelled. It grates on my nerves. I know it’s not unique to here, though.

It’s a text pun, but the vast majority of derisive political puns, it isn’t funny and looks childish. I’m tired of most of the things on this list, although almost none of them are specific to this board. But such is life. “+1/This” is still the worst, especially when it’s used after a 1500-word quote.

One new one: people who show their distaste for a movie by pretending it doesn’t exist. I hate that shit. It stopped being clever years a- well, maybe it was clever the very first time it was used. Since then, nothing. If you think the movie was bad, just say so. There’s no need to copy the 10 million people who’ve already used the “What Star Wars prequels?” gag.

Well, despite my username, I am something of a cat person. I like cats. I think they are cool. I don’t even have anything against cat threads in moderation. But the word “kitty” pisses me off. How old are you people? Four?
Also, “meh” doesn’t bother me, but it’s not nearly as good as “feh”, which conveys vastly larger swathes of contempt.

How about combining the two: what about “kitteh”?

:smiley: Actually, I’ll admit “kitteh” is pretty cool.

Sometimes I wonder where the hell all of you people hang out on the internet aside from here.

There’s nothing in this list aside from specific references to individual Dopers or threads (Hi Opal, Marianas Trench, the Grapist) that isn’t in common, adult, widespread usage either in real life or the rest of the web. It’s like complaining about people who use serial commas or something.

Very true, but I think a lot of us are coming from the point of view of, “We Dopers - perhaps arrogantly - set ourselves up as being a cut above the likes of Yahoo or Youtube, yet we do the same crap.” At least, that was where I was coming from in my post; I can’t speak for the others so much.

“Og”.

Total agreement here. This entire thread is really lowering my opinion of some of you in specific, and Dopers in general. We are supposedly “better and brighter” around here, yet this thread and ones like it show us to be among the most petty and intolerant mofos on the 'net. Get a grip, people!

Disliking particular phrases or dated in-jokes is petty and intolerant? I think a little perspective is called for.

Adding: I guess it’s petty by definition, but nobody’s calling for pitchforks and torches anyway. Calling this “intolerant” and suggesting you’re re-evaluating posters’ character based on some admitted pet peeves is melodramatic.

My most despised Doperism is most commonly encountered in GQ. It goes something like this:

Q: Why do [people of a certain ethnicity, religion, race, gender, subculture or another group] [some action, preference, or trait]

A: I [don’t know|never met] any [people of a certain ethnicity, religion, race, gender, subculture or another group] that [some action, preference, or trait]. In fact, most of the people I know who [some action, preference, or trait] are [opposite of people of a certain ethnicity, religion, race, gender, subculture or another group], and [assurance that they are surrounded by people of a certain ethnicity, religion, race, gender, subculture or another group].

Example:

Q: Why are so many Italian-American men into bodybuilding?

A: I never met any Italian-Americans that were into bodybuilding. In fact, all of the people I know or have met who are bodybuilders aren’t Italian, and I live in an Italian neighborhood in northern New Jersey.
The second SDMBism that irks me is what I call “Doperland”, a place much like Lake Wobegon, where everybody claims to have a higher-than-average IQ and/or large penises or breasts, never engages in any irritating or intrusive behavior such as talking on a cell phone in public or using a leaf blower, and only use SUVs for “real work”, like pulling loaded horse trailers over mountain passes every other day. Doperland is also a place where chain sit-down restaurants are all boarded up, because nobody will set foot in an Applebee’s, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, or P.F. Chang’s; there’s a universal belief that they all suck.

Example:

OP: I hate leaf blowers! They’re so loud!

Response: Tens of Dopers that agree with the OP, and claim to rake, mow leaves them into the lawn, or leave them where they fall. No Dopers will claim to own a dreaded leaf blower.

I never thought references to “The Board That Shall Not Be Named” to be as cute as apparently intended, especially as I had the completely wrong impression of what that site was. I figured it was the board whose name refers to a certain type of weather system. But something on teh intertubes dedicated to being “snarky?” :rolleyes: Meh.

Just. Not. Funny.

And that’s the bottom line,

Koxinga

This is general, but it’s in the OP so I can’t help myself…

“For some reason.”

Dude, everything is for some reason. There is never a need to state that out loud.

Of course it’s melodramatic. So is the whiny bitching about other peoples posting styles and peccadillos. The fact that they feel they have to share these peeves with the General Public is even more petty. Most of us really don’t give a rat’s ass what you (the general “you,” not “Marley23 you”) find annoying.

I really need my coffee this morning.

I dunno either, but it’s a habit that I picked up and started using on the message baord I run. Others picked up on it, and now it’s more-or-less common practice there, too.