Sean Penn thinks he's a journalist

I thought the same as you except that he wrote the article only so he’d have the legal cover of being a journalist.

Sean Penn is an asshole and they need to change the name of that rag to Trolling Stone.

Actually we legitimately should, since he fucked up El Chapo in the process ;). His shitty article and ego massage turned out to be law enforcement’s gain. We should send him to interview all the in-hiding scumbags out there so they can then be traced and rounded up.

Oh and Penn really is a great actor, even in lesser films ( check out his transformation in Carlito’s Way ). But I’m pretty certain I’d find him sorta insufferable in person. But heck, I also worship at the altar of Gary Oldman’s talent and he seems to be a bit of a douche himself.

Snerk. For example #2, see Cher’s recent tweet calling Gov. Snyder of Michigan a murderer because of the Flint water crisis. Uh, Cher, honey? Nobody has died as a result of the water crisis, so neither the governor nor anybody else is murderer. Stop smoking crack before you tweet.

As for Sean Penn, I’m seriously wondering if we will soon hear that Mr. Penn has committed suicide. By shooting himself 50 times with at least half a dozen different weapons :eek: . I mean, it seems to me that the possability for “blowback” is fairly high. Then again, if it does happen, Penn really has nobody but himself to blame, because I very much doubt his reasons were anything other than self-serving.

Does Penn say how he managed to find this guy who was supposed to be in hiding?

If this forces Sean Penn to got into hiding I’d say this is a net positive.

I hear that Penn is now under investigation by Mexican authorities. The whole thing is just incredibly strange.

For what? It’s not illegal to talk to a fugitive.

Best Internet quote of the day:

I heard that El Chapo is very into Hollywood and Celebrities, so I find myself wondering who initiated contact.

Sean Penn is a very good actor. I have always defended him to my husband, who thinks he’s an asshole, but it’s getting harder to do.

I’ve always thought Chapo did, in hope of having a movie made about him.

My understanding is that the illegality would stem from knowing where a fugitive is and not reporting it. This dude was undoubtedly the most wanted fugitive in Mexico.

Oh, come one. He may be a douchebag, but the man is a talented actor.

Wow, what an asshole Sean Penn must be.
He risked his life, for whatever reason, to give us a rare insight into one of the most elusive characters in the criminal underworld today. Actually, the worlds most wanted man, if you will.

As for the “mental masturbation” part of the story is what he had to go through to get to the guy, and he chose to tell that in first person perspective. I’ve NEVER read an article like that before. Guess you never heard of gonzo journalism?

Its clear you just hate Sean Penn, and I get it, theres a lot of unlikeable things about the guy. Im not nominating him for the Pulitzer Prize, but what he did here is quite remarkable and I was quite entertained by the narrative, however amateur it might have been.

During the time after El Chapo had escaped (I believe) the first time, a Mexican actress (who I remember as Pilar from the show Weeds) had made some comments on Twitter critical of the the Mexican government and blurted that she trusted El Chapo more than them, and suggested that El Chapo should instead just try to traffic in peace, love, and justice or some such drivel. (Seriously, that’s a pretty accurate paraphrase… I’m saving up my quotage.)

Anyway, El Chapo gets wind of the tweet (no, he does not do Twitter) and sends her some flowers. A few years later, when he’s locked up in the prison he would later get tunneled out of, he decided to get the jump on all the Hollywood types clamoring to tell his story, and decided that he should do an authorized deal, so had his lawyer reach out to Pilar from Weeds. (Oh crap, now I’m even boring myself… fast forward!)

So Sean Penn, being Sean Penn, hears through a mutual associate (Espinoza) that Pilar from Weeds (who he doesn’t know) is in communication with El Chapo, who is now on the run after tunneling out of the prison he was still in a second ago. And since Penn’s all about pursuing dialogue with pariahs, he spontaneously pitched a proposal for a “magazine story” (that’s a quote) and a real killer selfie. (that’s not)

Anyway, my guess is that Penn and Pilar from Weeds probably had no idea that one or both of their mutual acquaintances and companions on the journey were informants or operatives for Mexican and/or American law enforcement, who probably knew about the whole thing before they ever left the US and tracked them the whole way.

Penn’s description of Espinoza:

Penn’s description of El Alto:

Oh god, now I’m sorry for making you read that… but you get the drift.

One can be a great actor AND an asshole, as many great actors have demonstrated; indeed, finding a great actor who isn’t one seems to be harder.

Yes, I said in the OP that this was a potentially compelling news story.

Look, you immature snot-nosed know-it-all, Hunter Thompson wrote compelling stories. This Sean Penn piece is crap. There is no redeeming quality to it. It’s like Penn was lined up for a penalty kick to win the championship, and wrote a piece about how he came to get the sponsorship for his Nike soccer shoes. He totally fucked up the story because of his poor writing, and Rolling Stone should have had the guts to fix this abortion of journalism.

It’s clear that you have an overwhelming need to be an asshole in every thread you participate in.

Look, I’m sorry your childhood was shit, but you have no need to work out your anger issues on everyone else. Go get therapy and learn to be a halfway normal person.

It may just be my taste, but I’ve liked him. He overacts and over-emotes to an extent that I find it impossible to forget that I’m watching a performance. For comparison, watch Mystic River and compare the styles of Penn and Tim Robbins - someone I do consider a masterful actor.

Penn may have talent, but to my mind he uses it to show off rather than to portray a character well, or make a great film (he’s been in several great films, but in most of them I’ve felt they were great despite him). Compare to Nicolas Cage, who is capable of just as much overacting but mostly only does so in crap or silly films (and on the increasingly rare occasions he’s in a good film tones it way down), or Daniel Day Lewis, who can when necessary give some of the largest performances anyone’s ever given on screen, but is also capable of great subtlety, as well as disappearing into a character more than almost anyone else.

Thanks voltaire. I hope you didn’t pass out from all the cringing.

Even if Sean Penn is a self-serving douche, he still accomplished something remarkable. Maybe this is a tactic police can use when they hunt fugitives in the future. Get a Hollywood personality to publicly proclaim they want to make a movie about the fugitive and see if vanity prevails over secrecy.

I had this vision that the FBI came to Penn, he volunteered to help and be a great American Citizen, and the public will never know and he’ll just get shat on till the day he dies (or fesses up, which will probably be a few days before he dies because…el cheapo).