Severity of PMS correlated with severity of menopause symptoms?

I don’t have severe PMS. I’m usually quite functional both before and after my period begins. However, I do have prominent symptoms. Two biggies for me: severe clumsiness and cognitive issues. Both are embarrassing, but especially the latter. I’m no stranger to typos, but when I’m PMSing, I have speako’s. My stutter gets worse, I flip syllables and drop consonants. I even use the wrong pronouns. My tics and obsessions get more intense as well. So I tend to feel, think, and move more crazy when the red tide is about to roll in.

I’m afraid this is a harbinger of bad things to come when I go through menopause. I understand that I still have at least fifteen years before I have to start worrying about this. But every time I have noticeable PMS, I can’t help but think about it.

So is there a relationship? Do I need to worry about becoming a feeble-minded old lady?

I found this on WebMD. It’s from 2004 so it’s possible new research has been done since then. I found something about this from 2011, but it’s a Dr. Oz link so I figured WebMD is much more trustworthy even though it’s from 10 years ago.

http://www.webmd.com/menopause/news/20040505/pms-menopause

I’m guessing you’ve probably spoken to your doctor about your PMS symptoms? Has he or she had any useful suggestions? I know hormone replacement therapy can be used during menopause, but there are risks to that, correct?

Hopefully in the next 15 years there will be better and better ways to deal with the uncomfortableness of perimenopause and menopause.

And on the flip side, I’m guessing someone who does not get PMS will be surprised by menopause? I’m on birth control now which prevents me from getting my period, but when I did get mine it was always a surprise because I’ve never been regular and rarely had any PMS symptoms. So would menopause be almost the same?

There are always risks to the use of hormones. On the other hand, there are some significant benefits as well. My understanding is that with perimenopause the problem isn’t so much a deficiency of hormones as hormone levels fluctuating for which adding additional hormones on top of those might be useless or even make matter worse in some instances. However, I am not a doctor and advice from an actual MD you see face-to-face should be given much more weight than anything I have to say.

I wonder if there should be more research done on women who DON’T have an uncomfortable menopause? I have found my cyclical symptoms, which were never that bad anyway, have diminished further since perimenopause and I think I’ve experienced all of one hot flash, maybe, I’m not really sure that’s what it was. If I could bottle my lack of discomfort and pass it around I would because I know some of my fellow women suffer considerably.

I’m not sure I’d use the word “surprised”. Just because I don’t get PMS or horrific cramps or other nasty symptoms doesn’t mean I’m unaware of my monthly cycles. My cycles were pretty much like clockwork for decades. My symptoms were mild but they were still there, I was aware a day or two before hand (at the latest) that my “Aunt Flo” was about to visit but I didn’t need to track these things on a calendar, if I paid attention my body would let me know. Which is a good thing because my cycles are definitely getting erratic, it’s not the calendar but those same mild symptoms (which are getting even milder) which let me know it’s about to happen.

It makes some sense that if a woman’s reproductive bits had been largely trouble-free for most of her life that they would shut down with minimal fuss as well when the time came.

He suggested I start taking prozac, since occasionally I have depressive symptoms. But that’s completely overkill, IMHO And as annoying as it is to be depressed, the clumisness and stupid speech issues are worse, IMHO. But he didn’t have any recommendations to address these issues.

Thanks for the link.

Everything I had ever read indicated that there was a strong correlation between PMS symptoms and negative menopausal experience. I’d also read that women tended to have a similar experience with meno to their mothers. This is all easily searchable and clearly you have.

Well my mother simply stopped having periods, but didn’t really notice for almost a year. Zero symptoms. And I was one of those regular “oh it’s 2:30 pm and 28 days since my last period so I’d better be prepared” types that had three-day long painless periods.

But I had an almost ten-year long peri/menopause from HELL with every symptom imaginable, during which I begged several doctors for hormones thinking that risking breast cancer would be well-worth it (my apologies to those who have actually dealt with cancer) but they all said no.

So I guess my point is, it’s not a given predictor.