Shortest lifespan of team jersey you personally bought?

Don’t think the Kolb Arizona Cardinals jerseys had a long lifespan either

I get a ton of positive responses every time I wear my Apollos shirt. IDGAF what anyone says, the AAF was a lot of fun to watch and we were a good team dammit.

I think this thread was tailor-made for an Antonio Brown Raiders jersey, or maybe an AB Pats one? Anyone?

Not a jersey, but I bought a San Diego Chargers sweatshirt off the discount rack the week before the team moved to Los Angeles. :slight_smile:

I bought a Shawne Merriman jersey literally the same day that he was busted for steroids. .

I got my Phil Kessel jersey for Xmas two years ago, and then he was traded the following season. (Mind you, I’ll still wear it proudly.)

I have a Seattle Dragons hat and t-shirt, no jersey though. They played half a season before Covid killed the XFL.

They claim the league is returning (under Dwayne Johnson, The Rock, of all people) but if that happens I still don’t know if the Dragons will also be back.

We used to go to arena football when they had it in St. Louis. For some reason the leagues kept dying and reforming. I think my wife has 3 or 4 team T-shirts, some autographed, from teams that played 1 or 2 seasons each.

Ref @Atamasama, I hope the XFL does return; I enjoyed their style of football more than NFL.

I just bought a San Francisco Seals t-shirt.* That franchise’s lifespan ended in 1957.

*don’t forget, the 1933 Seals featured Joe DiMaggio’s 61-game hitting streak.

In a burst of really awesome timing, the Seattle Kraken will debut in the NHL next spring.

In a particularly apt bit for this thread, the headline item on their webpage is an ad for a “limited edition autographed jersey”. I wonder just how limited the edition will be?

I wonder which team will last longer, the Kraken or their predecessor team, the Seattle Totems, who in one form or another lasted from 1944 to 1975 but never quite entered the NHL during pro hockey’s consolidation phase in the 1970s.

Late add:
Ref @Jackmannii just above, I did a bit of a doubletake when you said DiMaggio.

I was thinking of the California Seals, a short-lived Bay Area NHL team known by almost as many names as seasons played. One could have spent a lot on jerseys with that renaming scam going on.

Seattle Pilots of the MLB lasted literally a single season, so the Krakens should be able to beat that at least.

Don’t jinx them!!!

And this morning I learn the correct pronunciation of Kraken is like “Let’s start crackin’ these nuts”, not like “Let’s start breakin’ these boxes open.”

Damn. That’s not nearly as cool a word. Makes me thing of snack food.

And now ladies and gentlemen, welcome your Seattle CrackerJack!

Fail. Epic fail.

Then again, given how unskilled I am at predicting hot or not in pop culture, soon they may be the most popular team name in NHL evar!!!1!.

Seriously, you’ve never heard of a “kraken” before?!

I’ve read about and known about krakens since I was a little kid. Young me read a lot of sea stories. Heck, triggered by something else I happened to read, I’ve even read the wiki article 3 or 4 times in the years since wiki was invented. I read a lot.

At age 62 I’ve still never heard a person pronounce the word either in person or on a recording.

A couple days ago I stopped to actually read and interpret the IPA on the wiki article, rather than my usual “IPA = inscrutable hieroglyphics so skim right over it” maneuver.

Having “known” for 50+ years the word was pronounced “KRAY-kin”, I was just, well, disappointed to learn the flabby soft-edged reality of the name for such horrible sea monster.

A “CRACK-in” makes me think of a cozy camp fire, crunchy Cheeto snacks, pork rinds, maybe autumn leaves underfoot, and other comfortable things. Not ship-eating Hell-squids.

In this I’m perhaps a minority of one on this big Earth, but that’s how it looks to me today. I’ll adapt.

Ever since the possibility of a Kraken name was put forth, there have been jokes about Seattle hockey fans being “Krak Heads”, and the stadium being called the “Krak House”.

But I really dig the name myself.

Great vids there @Hamphsire. Thank you. It’s starting to sound more evil each time I say it the new way.

@Atamasama: I gotta say I’m really looking forward to the impending Seattle version of the ubiquitous
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=cheese+head+hat

Maybe a squid hat?

That’s far too cuddly.

But if they gussy it up more like the dude in the Pirates of the Caribbean clip, and give it more of a fierce Oakland Raiders fan-gear vibe it’ll be a hit.

Besides …if you wear the cute green fuzzy one in the arena, the guy seated behind you might take exception to your tall conehead being all in his face.