Shortest Marriage, a.k.a. The biggest mistake you ever made!

First marriage, 100 days, give or take a day.

Everyone uses that as a yardstick to measure disaster or success…
“Been together 6 months eh? well, you got Kelli beat!” or “What?Broke up already? Even Kelli lasted longer than that!” or to complain about something not taking long “even Kelli’s marriage lasted longer than that!”

c’mon, I cant be the only one here who made a really big mistake like that…

Kelli…
Your lucky it only took you 100 days to figure out it wasnt going to work. While I wasnt married I was with someone for 7 years before we could admit that we hated each other.

Don ‘so glad to finally be out’ Juan

My first was 11 months, almost to the day. He was a good guy, really, and the divorce was my fault. But hey, if it hadn’t happened, I wouldn’t have my current (mostly cool) husband, and my (wonderful most of the time) 2 year old.

Damn, Kells-bells.

I was looking forward to a really great "Shitboy"© story. ::sigh::

No self-affirmation for me today, I guess…

How’s this for self affirming…
If shitboy were half the man you seem to be, I would be refering to him as “Sweetheart”.
:wink:

Well, I was ready for divorce the moment I left the church, but I stayed for 2.5years for “appearences”. I cheered, giggled, and practically tore the ring off my finger the day I got away :slight_smile:

Run for the hills, folks! Or you’ll be up to your armpits in martians!

My mother-in-law was once married for 30 days.

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

Never been married, but I was engaged once – for ten minutes. I think that might be a record.

“Succurrite, succurrite, horribilis heffalumpus! Hoff, hoff, hellibilis horralumpus! Holl, holl, hoffabilis hellerumpus!”

Hmmm… and I thought I was the biggest dummy when it came to marriage.

My marriage lasted two years, mainly because I managed to convince myself that my husband really wasn’t as clueless as everybody was telling me he was. sigh… he was the human equivalent to a Golden Retriever. Happy, cute, and dumb as a stump.

Part of me knew on the day I married him that it wouldn’t last. I have nothing against the guy, but I’m so bloody happy that I woke up and got out before we had children!

Several years ago a friend of mine got married to a girl he’d been after since high school. On their wedding night, in a hotel, her beeper went off and she left. Turned out she was a prostitute on the side. Needless to say, the marriage was pretty much over after that.

Hey now, Golden Retrievers aren’t dumb dogs. They’re one of the most common breeds for seeing eye dogs, actually. Harumph!

>^,^<
“Cluemobile? You’ve got a pickup…”
OpalCat’s site: http://opalcat.com
The Teeming Millions Homepage: fathom.org/teemingmillions

Well, you have me beat. I was married to my first husband for 1 year, 1 month and 10 days. Granted…it took us longer to get divorced than we were together.

I knew I made a mistake the day I married the SOB.

I hope you don’t mind if I segue to a related question… is there a cultural/social link to marriage/divorce?

I’ve been married for 12 years and think everything is going strong. We dated for 5 years prior to marriage. My parents are about so hit the 45 year mark. My wife’s parents hit the 50 mark (before my FIL passed away). All grandparents either hit 50+ years or someone died. NOBODY got divorced.

My girlfriend in highschool was somewhat different. Her Mom and Stepdad were both divorced (obviously remaried)… so was her Dad and Stepmom… and her Grandparents… and the ones they remaried… and her aunts… etc. Literally everyone in the family (extended or otherwise) had been divorced. She is still on her original husband, but of her four brothers and sisters she is the only one.

Believe me, I have no problem with divorce, just wondering why it is that there seems to be such a difference.

One fine spring Saturday in 1994, my niece got married. Great do it yourself wedding, lots of guests, etc.

She separated from him as soon as the guests left and set about divorcing him Monday morning.

Turns out she’d learned some fatal-to-the-relationship things about him shortly before the wedding, but didn’t want to disappoint everyone. Looking back on that day, I think she has some potential as an actress.

Stupidly getting married. Marriage isn’t stupid; I just did it badly.
We were both old enough to know ourselves, but didn’t. Or wouldn’t admit the grim truth.
We both did it for the wrong reasons, and stayed in it because we didn’t know how to say it was wasn’t working.
I admire you more than I can say for spotting the wrongness quickly and acting on it.
Damn. Sometimes all those spiffy mature virtues are just giftwrapping that sure doesn’t fool those who have are stuck w/ the packages.
(Sorry. Bad day.)